Page 1 of 14 [ 213 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 4:15 am

jawbrodt wrote:
My 1969 Shelby GT350.....

My Nasa Space Shuttle
she gets pretty good gas mileage :wink: I am ready to traid her in on a USS Enterprise :lol:

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 4:24 am

^LOL :lol:

Those who know, don't speak.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 5:15 am

Around town:

2009 Kona Dew Plus asphalt bike.

When I have to travel far, or if I'm feeling lazy:

2000 Subaru Forester, a.k.a. "The Mayhem Mobile".

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2010, 3:14 am

My current vehicle: 1997 Ford Explorer. Been in the family for about 10 years, bought used from dad's coworker, and still runs like a dream, except for the very faint engine squeaking. Been driving her to the ground back and forth 100 miles for the past 3 years.

I plan on keeping her until she finally dies out. Afterwards I'ma set my sights on a mid-90's F150 or Bronco. Not much into the newer cars of today. And am not entirely comfortable in sedans, dunno why.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 7:29 am

:lol:

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 12:56 am

^

:) i can't imagine how many people try to hitch rides from you cockney.

i drive a schweeeeeet red schwinn bike that i put some stickers on and painted a tiny bit. also it's a missing a kickstand, a bit rusty, the cushions for handlebars are wearing away and squeaks occasionally(loads of fun).
oh yeah, you know people turn there heads when i pull up in my schwinn and lock my bike. 8) born to be wiiiillld!! !

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

alex
Developer
Developer

28 Feb 2010, 8:23 am

jawbrodt wrote:
My 1969 Shelby GT350.....

(I'm a sleep-typer) :wink:

jealous

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 12:54 pm

Asp-Z, what is that contraption? I don't recognize that one. I mean the car, not the boat.

LukeInFlames
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Feb 2010, 3:21 pm

b9 wrote:
my car is a mercedes 560 sel.
it has a 5.6 litre V8 and it is extremely powerful

top speed 275 kmh
red line 7000 rpm

i have to go to bed god i am tired

sweet ride, man. friend of mine's got an '89 560 sel in champagne with chocolate leather. man does that thing go. rides like a dream, too.

-Luke

LukeInFlames

28 Feb 2010, 3:27 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Asp-Z, what is that contraption? I don't recognize that one. I mean the car, not the boat.

2005 Lotus Elise (and transporting it from Miami to New York City):

First round of body work/paint (age 3 months):

Audio install (required rerouting climate control)... only half successful, there's only so much you can do in an aluminum bathtub:

Now flat black.

I also have a 3 series BMW with 500,000 km on it. It refuses to ever die.

jeezus, that's nice. McIntosh head unit, too. It's too bad Lotus Elise in Canada have such huge markups over the USA. And that the roads where I live are so bad that the aluminum tub this thing's made out of would fold in half, the first trip out to buy milk. The Elise is one of my dream-cars, but just make no sense for how/where I live.

-luke

LukeInFlames

28 Feb 2010, 3:33 pm

My car is an old, slow tank, in pretty good condition for its age - original glass, no body panel rust. I'm gonna get it a tune-up in the spring to make it mechanically minty-fresh.

It's a 1985 SAAB 900 sedan, in black with white pinstripes. Original 3-speed Auto, tan velour interior.

Sorry I don't have photos, but I'm new & can't post links yet.

Cheers,

-Luke

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 3:38 pm

The torsional rigidity of the aluminum tub is actually several times greater than that of a traditional steel frame, let alone a unibody. I've driven this car in places where some people would never take any car (think southern Sonora state, Mexico). Have you ever seen a Mexican "tope"? The only things that have broken are the result of the dealer leaving the car outdoors in a Miami hurricane and not telling me about it.

I am actually living in Canada for the moment. The car is still registered in New York. The Canadian situation is a complete scam.

LukeInFlames

28 Feb 2010, 3:45 pm

hehe, Nice, CockneyRebel!

I took one of those once, about 6 months before they were pulled from active service. it was on one of the routes that go through Piccadilly Circus - can't remember exactly which one, sorry. I remember the bus slowing down to cross the intersection, and the Conductor says to me something like 'yea mate, this is the closest to where you need to go' and I jumped off the platform of the moving bus right into the street. Tres Cool. Routemasters might have been noisy and stinky, but they sure do scream THIS IS ENGLAND.

PS if you dig buses, you should check out Birmingham Route 11, AKA the Outer Orbital. I took that once.

Cheers,

Luke

LukeInFlames

28 Feb 2010, 3:53 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
The torsional rigidity of the aluminum tub is actually several times greater than that of a traditional steel frame, let alone a unibody. I've driven this car in places where some people would never take any car (think southern Sonora state, Mexico). Have you ever seen a Mexican "tope"? The only things that have broken are the result of the dealer leaving the car outdoors in a Miami hurricane and not telling me about it.

I am actually living in Canada for the moment. The car is still registered in New York. The Canadian situation is a complete scam.

Interesting. I heard the chassis was stiff, but that's great. I exaggerate about the 'folding in half' thing - should probably be more concerned about damaging the bodywork where i live (terrible kerbs, deep potholes) than anything else.

It's a shame that American Lotuses can't be registered properly in Canada. I concur with your 'scam' comment.

-luke

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 4:02 pm

You are correct, the bodywork is very fragile. It makes the car difficult to insure, at least in the US which has a competitive market.

I once cracked the area behind the wheel well with a mallet, just trying to break the brake caliper loose. I fixed it with epoxy. :)

I know a guy who added a kevlar backing to all the most vulnerable points.

LukeInFlames

28 Feb 2010, 6:59 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
You are correct, the bodywork is very fragile. It makes the car difficult to insure, at least in the US which has a competitive market.

I once cracked the area behind the wheel well with a mallet, just trying to break the brake caliper loose. I fixed it with epoxy. :)

I know a guy who added a kevlar backing to all the most vulnerable points.

yah, i've not thought of that. i wonder what the rates would be where i live. i've been surprised how low they are for other pie-in-the-sky things I've been interested in (like mid-80s Maserati BiTurbo sedans, RR Silver Cloud IIs, etc). Collision/comprehensive would probably be hideous, near-unimaginable.

The Kevlar is a great idea. sure beats having your lip spoiler reconstructed on a yearly basis!

-Luke