Page 12 of 14 [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 4:23 am

auntblabby wrote:
paint me as weird :alien: but I much prefer engines and cars being unstressed, treated gently and driven on good roads.

To each their own. Never felt more alive at the edge of chaos flirting with death. Guess it's the adrenaline junkie in me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 4:33 am

there are entire cultures that have my weird veneration of technological objects, that treat them gently and with something approaching familial love. in japan, for example, the various car companies that make SUVs have large RV parks where the purchasers of said SUVs can take their vehicles into the mud and sand and hills, in a controlled and well-behaved way, rather like watching a slow-motion rally. there is almost a visual poetry to watching them go through the manufactured motions of off-roading their vehicles.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 1:38 am

despite the back wheel having a different wheel cover than the standard (my only complaint), this is a stock standard 1969 mercedes 300 sel (6.3 litre V8) in a takeoff run.

you would never dream when you see these cars that they are so capable. (note the "lurching")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4M4tRf0eoo

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 1:48 am

^ impressive. there's a w111 coupe always parked near my house, wonder if that has the same powertrain/capability.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 1:51 am

a refined hotrod straight from the factory, took off like a scalded duck, but quietly and smoothly.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 2:08 am

auntblabby wrote:
a refined hotrod straight from the factory, took off like a scalded duck, but quietly and smoothly.

with the correct rear hubcap, no one would ever suspect this car of blistering performance at the traffic lights.

i can imagine an old grey haired man in a suit on the inside lane at the traffic lights, and noticing a young stud in a fast car preparing to stop the old man entering his lane, and then the old man losing his temper and tramping it.

it would be hard to challenge one of these.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 2:23 am

i am not going to obsess over the car but here is an interesting video (sans the irritating music) that compares the old with the new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTsrLHBksYg

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2018, 2:30 am

blackicmenace wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
paint me as weird :alien: but I much prefer engines and cars being unstressed, treated gently and driven on good roads.

To each their own. Never felt more alive at the edge of chaos flirting with death. Guess it's the adrenaline junkie in me.

I like watching cars being driven on the edge, particularly in rally where a lot of improvisation is required. I'm just not a good enough driver to drive on the edge myself. A lot of my local roads are narrow and twisty with little traffic on them so I can still have a good blast without going too fast.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 2:33 am

that is pretty snappy for a diesel car. I am wondering if the 6.9 is lighter-weight in the body, also?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 3:16 am

here is a virtual rendition of the top speed attainable by the old merc.
this is stock standard in the forza 4 game, but it is a manual (which is the case with all cars in that game)
the speedo is in kph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ievLuH_EvLE

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2018, 4:08 pm

My car on one of my favourite local roads in the Lake District National Park in England.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 5:21 am

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 1:40 am

that was my fave series of ls400, the earlier ones. one of these days i'd like to see how much difference there is between an es350 and a top-line camry.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 1:58 am

up until the mid 2000s it was mostly a rebadge job. they have their own platforms now but especially in the late 90s it was very easy to confuse one for another. most of the lexification money went into sound deadening, tech and interior trim it seems.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 2:01 am

is the es350 head and shoulders quieter and smoother than a camry xle, or is the difference more subtle?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 2:06 am

i've never driven either, but the ES has always had a v6 whereas it's an option on the xle camrys, so power delivery is going to be smoother than a 4 cyl xle.

i think all derivative lexuses have softer suspension and more sound deadening than the cars they're based on, but the avalon might be closer to the ES than the camry, if not nigh identical.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.