What are american cops like to deal with?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

enz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 10:29 pm

Ive Never been to america and was curious

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 10:48 pm

They're generally helpful, friendly, and professional.

There Are Four Lights!

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Oct 2018, 6:31 am

The 1s i dealt with were nice enough but I hear some can be real dicks

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2018, 7:44 am

It depends on where you go. The U.S. is a big place. Also the variance from urban areas to rural also makes a difference.

It also depends on the cop. They're human.

Also, a FACT that many people don't think about is that society has chosen cops to enforce the rule of law. Therefore, like it or not, they've been chosen as an AUTHORITY to do so. Speaking respectfully to cops regardless of your race is the only way to go. Speaking disrespectfully, regardless of your race will most likely end badly.

I worked for several years many years ago in public housing "projects" in Minneapolis as an unarmed security guard. We worked with law enforcement nightly. I saw hundreds of situations over that time where people of all races interacted with police. To a person, those that from the beginning were "Yes officer" or "Yes sir" we're treated by the police in kind. Those that were disrespectful or hostile were treated more aggressively or met with more force. The only time I witnessed force by a cop on someone where I thought it wasn't necessary (ie defense, etc) was when a tall muscular man was asked to sit down in a chair and didn't. Without warning, a cop, who hulked over the other man in size and strength grabbed the man by the shoulders, kicked the chair behind the man's knees and easily and instantly forced him to a sitting position. Both the cop and the man were black.

Bottom line in my opinion: Don't do anything intentionally that would make them nervous. They control the situation (position of authority).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2018, 8:28 am

If it looks like a thug,
Walks like a thug,
Talks like a thug,
Acts like a thug,
Then it probably is a thug.

Thugs carry weapons with the specific intent to use them.

Don't be a thug.

(Note: The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines "thug" as a "brutal ruffian, assassin, gangster, or tough" person. That's the definition I am using here.)

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2018, 8:50 am

Some of them are really nice. Most are professional from what experience I've had.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2018, 8:54 am

In my experience, they have all been nice and kind.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2018, 9:13 am

Another thought on the subject:

Cops work with two categories of people and two categories only:

1) Those that make difficulties either for themselves or for others.

2) Those that are having difficulties: ie victims or people in need of other kinds of assistance.

It's one or the other. It could be argued, I suppose, that a person could be in both categories simultaneously, but ultimately the cop has to decide if the person is a threat that must be dealt with accordingly or a person must be aided in some way.

Once a cop determines how he/she must proceed, decisions are made and if directives are given, those directives must be followed, period. If they're not followed, depending on the threat, the cop has the full force of the entire police department, other law enforcement departments (sheriff, state patrol, federal enforcement, etc) if necessary.

Here's a key point in this regard: If directives are given, they're NOT suggestions and they're NOT directives that can be followed on the individual's own timeline. They're directives that, if not complied with immediately can be met with force of some kind. You would therefore never see a scenario like the following if a person was sitting on the lawn in front of their house drunk and yelling obscenities repeatedly and loudly:

Cop: "Sir, you need to either go back in your house or we will take you in the police car to detox. If you need us to help you into your house, we will."

Person: "I'll go back in when I'M ready. First I want to tell you a story about when I was a kid."

Cop: "Sir, do you need us to help you into your house? Yes or no."

Person: "Listen to me. Have you ever been in love?"

Dispatch: "Officer Smith. What is your 20 (location)? You're needed at the station."

Cop: "This is Officer Smith. I'm going to be here awhile. I've asked an intoxicated gentleman to go back into his home and he wants to tell me stories."

Dispatch: "How long will that take??"

Cop: "I'm not sure. He hasn't told me that......"

Would NEVER happen. The reality would be: Assessment - Directive given - If not followed, then a response on part of cop/cops to force compliance, period.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2018, 9:26 am

1979: There was only one cop -- an Indiana State Trooper -- who was ever less than courteous to me. He pulled me over because I had out-of-state plates on the car while driving along a dark country road. Someone had reported a "suspicious person" driving up and down the road. I was lost, and couldn't find the party I had been invited to.

The address for the "party" didn't exist. It had all been a set-up to try to keep me from attending commencement the following day.

The cop eventually let me go, but then he followed me to the state line.