Total votes : 37

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 3:11 pm

Maranatha wrote:
What was your favorite series: Original Series

Who was your favorite character: Spock

What was your favorite episode: The one with the blob-monster that is afraid of humans and writes "NO KILL I" on the ground... classic.

-The Devil in the Dark-

ruveyn

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 6:58 am

I also like Miles O'Brien.

Anyway, this is funny:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWlJAJZwf-k[/youtube]

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 2:06 pm

not strictly a trekkie [trekker?] though i have attended one convention. much preferred TOS, with uhura being the favorite character [what an awesome babe]. "city on the edge of forever" sticks in my mind as the transcendent episode of the series. 2nd place would go to the first pilot episode ["the cage"] with susan oliver being my favorite character [beautiful actress and beautiful person IRL]. get a load of spock's somewhat different characterization in this earliest of all treks, which was unusually cerebral television for the time.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 3:01 pm

In the first series, when they go to battlestations, is there a high-pitched woop in the
general whhhahhh?

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 3:26 pm

I don't know nearly enough about the Star Trek world to be classified as a Trekkie, but I do enjoy watching the shows. My favorite is TNG though, because of Patrick Steward.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 10:33 am

Lecks wrote:
I don't know nearly enough about the Star Trek world to be classified as a Trekkie, but I do enjoy watching the shows. My favorite is TNG though, because of Patrick Steward.

Hello Lecks.

I notice that you have exchanged your Robert Downey Jr avatar for a bearded Spock.

Seems to indicate some passion for Star Trek, regardless of your knowledge level of the various series.

I keep seeing your old avatar, with the hat, when I see your name in the 'Last Post' column :!:

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 10:49 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
Lecks wrote:

Hello Lecks.

I notice that you have exchanged your Robert Downey Jr avatar for a bearded Spock.

Seems to indicate some passion for Star Trek, regardless of your knowledge level of the various series.

I keep seeing your old avatar, with the hat, when I see your name in the 'Last Post' column :!:

I recently watched the episode with Evil Spock, that's why I changed it. And I've always liked Spock, what little I know of him.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 11:04 am

I admit, I was a bit obsessed with Star Trek for a while.

My favorite character would have to be Captain Jean Luc Pecard. He's so charming and gay.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEZcslNOEBg[/youtube]

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 11:15 am

I wouldn't call myself a Trekkie...

I have a certain nostalgia for the original show, with it's simple little morality tales. They really knew how to write stories like that back in the day...

I don't like TNG, because, to me, it seems they tried the same formula as the original (morality tales), but instead of being entertaining and thoughtful, it came off as pompous and preachy.

This is just my opinion folks, don't have a stroke.
:wink:

The only other series that grabbed my attention was DS9. I think that show is brilliant. I love seeing the gritty, imperfect side of the supposedly morally impeccable Federation.

The Dominion War was great. I loved the idea that when push came to shove, the Federation woud resort to genocide in order to ensure it's own survival.

BUT, my favorite plot line would have to be about the Maquis. It was interesting to see that the Federation would sell out their own people for a convenient peace and that Federation citizens would resort to terrorism in order to get their way.... so much for the 'morally perfect federation.'

The show had so many great characters, by far the the most complex in any Star Trek series:

Captain Sisko--great leader, but NOT PERFECT, and sometimes motivated my base emotions such as the need for revenge (as when Eddington humiliates him).

Michael Eddington--cunning, ruthless, idealistic terrorist leader, and noble in his own way.

Elim Garak--ruthless, charming, he was a patriot and a pragmatist. Even though he cooperated with the Bajorians and the Federation, when he was stressed you could tell he still held deeply racist views against the Bajorians. He did not regret the Cardassian occupation of Bajor, he only regretted that is didn't turn out better for the Cardassians.

Yeah, so many fantastic stories and characters... DS9 was the most compelling series because it was the most complex and realistic, yet it still held on to the old Star Trek charm.

Aelith
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2010, 11:19 am

What was your favorite series? TNG

Who was your favorite character Data

What was your favorite episode? The last two episodes of TNG. I also like the classic series episode where Spock, Kirk and McCoy go to the 1930s and Kirk falls in love with a woman played by Joan Collins.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 11:25 am

Thanks to everyone for sharing your favorites.

There Spock and Data seem to be quite well like among the posters so far.

Odo was the character with their persona in DS9.

Who were the Spock/Data/Odo characters in:

Voyager and Enterprise :?:

Enjoy

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2010, 11:51 am

Blindspot149 wrote:

Enjoy

I would think in Voyager, Seven of Nine's character would be similar to Data's in the sense that she was searching for humanity.
However, the Doctor was a character who was continuously trying to develop a human-like personality.

I couldn't say for Enterprise as I didn't watch that series.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 11:52 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
Thanks to everyone for sharing your favorites.

There Spock and Data seem to be quite well like among the posters so far.

Odo was the character with their persona in DS9.

Enjoy

In Voyager, the Doctor (Not that "The Doctor"! :) ) and Seven-of-Nine stood for the "What measure is a non-human?" part of their persona.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 10:28 pm

M_p_furo wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:

Enjoy

I would think in Voyager, Seven of Nine's character would be similar to Data's in the sense that she was searching for humanity.
However, the Doctor was a character who was continuously trying to develop a human-like personality.

I couldn't say for Enterprise as I didn't watch that series.

That's right! I remember 7 of 9 for several reasons 8)

Forgot about the Doctor in Voyager as I didn't get as hooked into it as the previous series.

I haven't watched Enterprise either :oops:

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2010, 10:48 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:

Forgot about the Doctor in Voyager as I didn't get as hooked into it as the previous series.

I'm going to take a guess....but does the 8) emoticon being associated with 7 of 9 mean you think she's hot? :wink:
She was pretty hot, I must admit. My boyfriend had a trekkie crush on her. :lol:

I actually didn't watch Voyager when it was a new series. I had the mind set that I only liked TNG and the original series....nothing else could compare. I finally gave Voyager and DS9 a chance when they were re-runs and I liked them.

As far as Enterprise, I'm not sure if I can get past Scott Bakula being the captain. He will always be Sam from Quantum Leap. I loved that show.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 10:52 pm

M_p_furo wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:

I'm going to take a guess....but does the 8) emoticon being associated with 7 of 9 mean you think she's hot? :wink:
She was pretty hot, I must admit. My boyfriend had a trekkie crush on her. :lol:

I actually didn't watch Voyager when it was a new series. I had the mind set that I only liked TNG and the original series....nothing else could compare. I finally gave Voyager and DS9 a chance when they were re-runs and I liked them.

As far as Enterprise, I'm not sure if I can get past Scott Bakula being the captain. He will always be Sam from Quantum Leap. I loved that show.

Thanks for sharing that.

You are correct in your assumption about my emotions associated with 7 of 9.

I also had a severe crush on Jadzia Dax 8)