Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 1:16 pm

This applies to NTs too, because lots of people don't like driving on roads when it's icy. It's nothing to do with whether you're Aspie or not.

Also with the paths - many people don't like walking when the snow has worn down to a sheet of ice, covering everywhere you walk (apart from the grass, but there's not much grass to walk on in the town center).

NTs would worry more about slipping over and bruising themselves, or breaking their bones, but I just worry about slipping over because of the embarrassment and people looking and/or laughing (because any people seem to make slipping over look stupid and embarrassing, when actually it can't be helped when it's icy). My mum (NT) often says, ''who cares if people look at you when you slip? If you don't hurt yourself, what's the worry? Just get up again and carry on walking.'' But it's not that simple for me. I have social phobia, so I do anything to avoid being noticed by random strangers in public - and people naturally look at you when you slip flat on your back on ice in the middle of a public street, and most people laugh and make you feel silly.

I don't get it - if NTs are more social-conscious and Aspies are more sensitive to pain, then I would have thought it'd be the other way round: the NT worrying about being embarrassed when slipping, and the Aspie worrying about hurting themselves when slipping. But it's not, and why?

And I'm not talking about old people here - I'm talking more about agile people, mostly kids and young adults.

(ps - I'm average with pain, not too sensitive but not too under sensitive, but apparently most Aspies are sensitive to pain or something like that)

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 5:00 pm

I definitely feel like an idiot trying to tiptoe tentatively over the icy sidewalks flapping my arms around to keep balanced. But I just laugh at myself the whole time. We're apparently getting 27 more inches of snow in the next two days, so I'd better get used to it. I'm not really worried about getting hurt, I'm fairly impervious to pain, but I'm worried about breaking a bone and having to go to emergency. I dont have health insurance so I'd drown in debt.
I understand where you're coming from though with the social anxiety. Certain days it bothers me more than others and I wouldnt even be able to leave the house for fear of humiliating myself.
Well, before you know it, it'll be Spring, and no more ice.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 5:04 pm

apparently anonymous does

GrimmRomance
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2010, 5:14 pm

Shhh! Don't say things like that. It might just disappear before Christmas. o___o

I love snow and I wish it hadn't rained a few nights ago. It's even more slippery now, because the rain quickly froze and now it's practically nothing but ice. The only thing that bothers me, is when people don't bother to shovel the snow away from their pavements. It's illegal to leave it there. If you own the property, you're responsible for the pavement beside/outside/(behind/insert other possible options).

But the snow is loooovely. Walks in snowy weather = even better. I love how small dogs disappear in it. Last week we had about 40cm / 15.7 inches of it. My dogs loved it. ^^

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 7:43 pm

I love the snow - when I don't have or need to drive in it. It's 100x more enjoyable on a snowboard, preferably higher end Burton/Never Summer/Lib Tech or Gnu, or a pair of skis, preferably Volkl/Atomic/Elan/Rossignol.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 11:34 pm

i've been in more than my share of wrecks, so when the driving conditions are poor i quake in my boots and usually elect to stay home until the ice [or fog or other nasty stuff] goes away.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 12:20 am

Sometimes driving on the interstate can cause a coronary.

In bad weather, my pickem' up truck ( F-150, 2 wheel drive) wants to tail slide a bit out as I'm trekking straight on.
The feeling of a ' yaw' on hand is scary , and I let off the gas or even down shift to straighten this out.
I once ended up in the median in a blink of an eye. 8O

Somewhat interesting : This is a problem when you have a limited slip differential in the rear, as when on ice. Both wheels don't want to differentiate due to the preload on the side gears , and it takes a certain amount of torque between the tires to break the axle loose, so the tires can rotate independently from each other, hence a "differential."

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 10:54 am

I love the snow, and I can't understand how people can live in Michigan if they hate snow so much...

I've never been in an accident myself, but I've been in the car when other people spin out before, and there's probably something wrong with me because I'm always going "Weeee!" in my head :oops:

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 11:44 am

I hate snow! Burn it, burn it, BURNIIIIIIT! :evil:

I feel in winter jacket like a Michelin Man. I hate hat and scarf. I wear combats, but I can't walk correctly (ok, I never walk correctly, but especially in winter). I walk slooowly. I feel like a big, clumsy ball. I have to wear double gloves and it bothers me a lot, because I still have runny nose (humidity!).

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

NathansMommy
Raven
Raven

14 Dec 2010, 3:39 pm

I'm feelin down today, so some random discussion should lighten the mood...

I'm neurotypical. I don't like snow or ice. I don't like walking in it or driving in it. My first winter living in a state where it snows/ices, I spun my car out on a major turnpike going from Texas to Oklahoma going about 65 or 70 mph. It's scared me to no end. It was just me and my son in the car and thankfully neither of us were hurt and my car finally stopped facing the correct direction on a merging lane to the turnpike (one of the almost unheard of instances of me actually having good luck).

In reference to the pain vs embarassment issue, I have both. I am very self conscious and I don't really like people staring at me even for a positive reason, so someone looking at and laughing at me if I slipped and fell would definitely make me uncomfortable. The pain thing is a factor, too. I have never broken a bone and the idea makes me cringe. I have severely dislocated my right knee twice when I was a teenager and never received medical treatment, so I don't think my knee healed up correctly. I always try to avoid situations where I might dislocate my knee again, so ice is a big no-no.

Plus, if the weather is cold enough for snow and ice to develop, I'm not happy. I like it warm or hot.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 6:23 pm

snow is nice, but i hate ice
Have to watch my feet when i cross the street
or I might just slip and fall.
the damned ice sets in and my tires all spin,
honestly, i don't like ice much at all.
:P

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 8:51 am

NathansMommy wrote:
I have severely dislocated my right knee twice when I was a teenager and never received medical treatment, so I don't think my knee healed up correctly. I always try to avoid situations where I might dislocate my knee again, so ice is a big no-no.

I've done mine three or four times, I think :x

The first two times, I was just on the ground in an awkward way, and when I tried to get back up...POP. Another time I slipped on a greasy spot on a wet parking lot :x Not sure what doctors can actually do about it...I talked to a friend who was a doctor a while back, and he said once the damage is done, your joint is never really the same again :cry:

Never had any ice issues...sometimes I slip and fall on purpose to give passersby a laugh :oops:

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 9:13 am

Well ice isn't good, especially black ice. I remember my senior year of high school and there was black ice but the schools in my county had a 2 hour delay. Parents were furious! The roads were terrible. I left our house and walked down the stairs and lost my footing and fell on my back. Luckily I didn't hit my head. So if our weathermen calls for black ice in the morning commute no way I'm going into work. I leave home around 545am to go to work.

Snow is good. I like to see it on the trees and roof of house. It just looks pretty. But a foot like people in the Midwest are getting? No way. We had our share earlier this year. No more! We couldn't go out of our house for a week. Virginia Dept of Transportation did a HORRIBLE job of plowing. Just plain lazy. We do get snow storms. I could understand if a foot of snow were to hit someplace like Atlanta and the road crews did poorly. If Seattle were to get slammed like we did, I think the road crews would do just as horrible of a job.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 9:13 am

delete double post

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Last edited by luvsterriers on 15 Dec 2010, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dalton_Man321
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2010, 11:12 am

Only when I'm not wearing mittens. 8)

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 12:25 pm

Yes. Snow is cold-hearted and ice can be a slippery customer.