Random lament over missed opportunity.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 10:47 pm

I dunno about anyone else, but I really love collecting random things. It can be anything...I'm a real pack-rat. But it needs personality. I tend to just "connect" to a certain object, and that's usually how I know it's for me. And I name it and everything, and it becomes one of my special objects I get very tentative over seeing people touching.

Well, one was this beautiful Archtop acoustic guitar from Harmony on ebay. I watched it for weeks, and bid on it and stuff. I had no idea where I'd put it when I got it, but I needed it.
It was missing the pickguard, and needed new strings (the current ones were rusty, and some gone), and needed some wood repair in one spot, but had no cracks. And it was this beautiful blonde, dull finish. Almost greyish, with a faint brindle pattern. It was from 1964. Vintage items are the best. I have a musicians sword from the civil war.
Anyways, I lost, and never saw it again. :( I looked on ebay, and around online, and there are none like it. I really wish I'd gotten it.

Anyone else get this way?

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 10:51 pm

I get loads of regret when I don't or do something.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 12:01 am

I was once in a second-hand bookshop in Sydney, and I (a language geek since the age of 10) found a new testament in the obscure West Frisian language (just about the closest cousin to English, but it is a minority language in the northern Netherlands - spoken by maybe 500,000 people). I didn't buy it because at the time I thought it would be an extravagance. I have been back there long since, but I couldn't find the book. I wished I had bought it - I know I would have prized it among my collection of second-hand books and obscure languages. I can just see me trying to decode the grammar and build up a vocabulary list. I did that once with a bilingual company report from South Africa (English and Afrikaans) - I used it as a kind of Rosetta Stone to work out as much Afrikaans vocabulary as possible.

That happened over 30 years ago, and yet I still remember the book - the one that got away!

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 12:07 am

one-A-N wrote:
and yet I still remember the book - the one that got away!

Yep, exactly. I'll always remember this guitar.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 12:13 am

About a year or two (or three?) ago, I was in a pawn shop and found a copy of the Johnny Depp movie Benny & Joon. I picked it up and thought about buying it. But I ultimately decided against it.

Now I'm passionate about Johnny Depp movies and I really wish I had purchased it, especially since today I went on a pawn shop shopping trip and didn't find it.

Last edited by IdahoRose on 11 Apr 2010, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 12:16 am

Definitely. Ebay is the worst for it too because I get all attached to something, start being impatient at having to wait for what I essentially already consider to belong to me, and then someone comes and steals it right at the end. :(

One time I was on vacation with my mom, wandering around a small town market and I saw this three foot tall wooden skeleton angel that was just an amazing piece of art. I was unemployed and running out of money, and the skeleton was $50, so we walked on. I kept thinking about it, knowing that I'd regret it if I left it there. So I bought it, despite my mom's declaration that it was much too expensive, and also quite creepy. Azazeal now stands guard at my door, wearing a rock star wig and a lei. My room just wouldn't be the same without him.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 12:20 am

SamwiseGamgee wrote:
One time I was on vacation with my mom, wandering around a small town market and I saw this three foot tall wooden skeleton angel that was just an amazing piece of art. I was unemployed and running out of money, and the skeleton was $50, so we walked on. I kept thinking about it, knowing that I'd regret it if I left it there. So I bought it, despite my mom's declaration that it was much too expensive, and also quite creepy. Azazeal now stands guard at my door, wearing a rock star wig and a lei. My room just wouldn't be the same without him.

That's so awesome! :D

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 12:22 am

SamwiseGamgee wrote:
Definitely. Ebay is the worst for it too because I get all attached to something, start being impatient at having to wait for what I essentially already consider to belong to me, and then someone comes and steals it right at the end. :(

Can I see a picture of Azazeal?
Oh, and please explain your signature?

I have my guitars as my special pieces. Also an enormous shark plush, and a sword.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 12:29 am

various opportunities throughout my back pages, not merely missed but unable to be met in the first place, which is worse than merely missed opportunities.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 1:29 am

I took my signature from a Symphony of Science song, but technically it's a quote from Richard Dawkins. It really resonates with me so I made it my signature.

Here's Azazeal, with and without his accessories:

[img][650:800]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk69/Panja215/Pictures/P3300069.jpg[/img]
[img][650:800]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk69/Panja215/Pictures/HPIM1554.jpg[/img]

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 1:32 am

Haha, I love him!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 1:40 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
Haha, I love him!

Me too!

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 2:15 am

IdahoRose–I've been meaning to ask you, who is that in your avatar?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 3:02 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
IdahoRose–I've been meaning to ask you, who is that in your avatar?

She's Alice Kingsleigh from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, played by Mia Wasikowska.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 4:05 am

Oooohhh, she looked very familiar. :lol: That's why, I guess. :)

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 3:56 pm

Azazeal appreciates the love. :D

He's pretty awesome except for one flaw that drives me slightly insane - an extra "feather" on one wing. But none of us is perfect so I let it slide.