If you found out your parent was a killer

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 6:02 am

Maybe two or three days ago I was lurking on the Crime Library message board and witnessed a discussion on Aileen Wuornos' child (adult now) she put up for adoption in the early 70's. The participants of the discussion that took part in that thread wondered if AW's son (if he was ever informed that he was adopted as a baby at all) ever got to know his mother was a famous criminal.

Anyway, someone mentioned that it would be an unpleasant experience to find out something like that about the identity of your parents if you were adopted and told the truth on who your real, biological parents were - according to the person who made this declaration, such a discovery wouldn't be likely to make you too glad of it, to subtely put it so. What if you were adopted and accidentally found out your biological parent was a famous killer doing their time in jail, what your reaction to this news would be like? I, personally, would enjoy this discovery, to be completely honest - it would be something new and fascinating, such a truth about myself.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 6:10 am

I'd cut all ties with that parent, because that parent might turn around, and kill me.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 6:13 am

But assuming your mother/father would just have put you up for adoption years ago to completely forget about your existence and not ever wanting to have somehing to do with you.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 7:01 am

I'd be horrified and worried I, too, might turn out to be a psychopath.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 7:07 am

Rose_in_Winter wrote:
I'd be horrified and worried I, too, might turn out to be a psychopath.

Believe me on this - anyone who worries they would turn out one, isn't one 8)

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 7:23 am

If I found out today that I was adopted and that one of my parents was a killer then I'd most likely shrug it off as irrelevant.

What my subconcious would be doing, however, I have no idea. It may affect me greatly in years to come, but I'm generally unfazed by revelations concerning my relatives.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 7:25 am

I'd ask them if they actually did kill someone and why if so. I wouldn't assume that just due to a conviction that they were actually guilty of murder.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 7:31 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I'd ask them if they actually did kill someone and why if so. I wouldn't assume that just due to a conviction that they were actually guilty of murder.

But I meant a situation when you'd know this person was a killer for sure, like you for example discovered that your dad was Ted Bundy or John Gacy, etc., generally one of those (in)famous criminals about whom everybody knows they did it. Anyway, you couldn't be sure that if they told you "I'm not a murderer", they weren't lying :)

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 7:40 am

Irulan wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

But I meant a situation when you'd know this person was a killer for sure, like you for example discovered that your dad was Ted Bundy or John Gacy, etc., generally one of those (in)famous criminals about whom everybody knows they did it. Anyway, you couldn't be sure that if they told you "I'm not a murderer", they weren't lying :)

My birth father was actually in the US Army in the 70's, so he was actually trained to be a professional killer... as well as a helicopter mechanic.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 7:48 am

Rightful killing or wrongful killing?

If I found out one of my parents were a serial killer, I would call the cops on them.

ruveyn

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 7:50 am

I'd take after them. 8)

Valmont
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2010, 1:56 pm

I'd outshine them. 8)

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 2:10 pm

Valmont wrote:
I'd outshine them. 8)

8O

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 2:49 pm

There is no rightful killing, because it usually involves the murder of a person, with a disability.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 3:04 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
There is no rightful killing, because it usually involves the murder of a person, with a disability.

What about the killing of a person who is aiming a rocket launcher at an entire platoon?

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 3:10 pm

it all depends on the circumstances. if the murder was committed in an act of prevention, i.e. killing someone in defense of another. i am cool with that. or murder in acts of revenge, eye for an eye type. im ok with.