Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

30 Apr 2010, 5:00 am

Because a friend was rushed into hospital with a stroke, I only caught the last part of the first episode and thought the hero was too emotional, rather than fiercely passionate in his rebellion as with Patrick McGoohan (Ian McKellan's cake eating scene was the only thing that caught my eye).

Catching the repeat and seeing No.2 with a family amongst others, made me think of where McGoohan intended the second series of The Prisoner to go (The outside world). It also made me think of Star Trek and the way The Next Generation brought in 'family'.

I also saw a review in Metro that said it all seemed dream like. This angle of memory made me think of parallel lives as in dreams, where we seem to be living elsewhere, simultaneously. It also made me think of reincarnation and rebirth (Taking us back to McGoohan and the Christianity angle bandied about on the original series forum, some years back (born again Christians)). It seems to more mellow than the original but brings in more universal questions of philosophy that we all ask at birth 'Who am I?' 'Where am I?' 'What am I doing here?'.

As in The Matrix and taking the blue or red pill, we have a choice of remembering or forgetting our past lives - the cosy village life of delusions or freedom and harsh reality (American Free Enterprise or the British Nanny State: Note jailers mostly English and Prisoners mostly Americans). It is the evolution from crude to refined - rough and ready to smooth hypochondria, worrying about the smallest details.

Then of course this time round is desert as opposed to mountains and sea (Edge of the world/ here be dragons/ No life on other planets). In other words there is nowhere to escape to ('Don't leave me!'): No life out there, only life in here as No. 2 intimated. Whatever you do, you mustn't link, mustn't think (No thought outside the box).

The dreaded enemy is change - the loving friend is sameness. We follow the inward path to knowledge, in depth chasing mystery - until boredom leads us back out, seeking newness and generality (relief from the tension of perpetual hiding within and retreat from the greater reality without)and the cycle of exploration and experiencing begins again (search for God/ good - linking with greater whole) as self-imprisonment and self-exploration ends (ego/ self).

There is a ratio between perception and direction of consciousness. The more you're aware of that is good (macrocosmic/ futuristic/ freed energy), the more you're also aware of that is bad (microcosmic/ past/ pain, niggling for attention, enslaving it). The less conscious you are, the less aware you are of the problems you're suffering from (problems bigger than your consciousness can deal with (aches) as opposed to small beer that annoys you).

The more you concentrate on the good, the better you feel (extrovert your attention). The more you introvert your attention, the worse you feel (concentrate on the self and its problems, rather than the needs of others): The cure for the ills of the self are to be found in the search for/ service to the other.

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

30 Apr 2010, 5:02 am

To those of you who think reality is fixed and unchanging - may I refer you to The Fortean Times story of a tree that wasn’’t there in a photo but the same scene taken a couple of years later, showed a fully grown tree that would have taken fifty or sixty years to grow, minimum (Continuity errors as in ‘Arrival’ where in both helicopter trips, headphones appear and disappear, depending upon the shots). There is also the case of a man in Britain who was told he was going to die because the cancerous tumour he had was too far advanced to be treated, only to find several weeks later that it had gone completely (I had a big lump on the back of my leg that had been there for years and that equally disappeared overnight as did a growth on my wife’s head. Then there is the case of the UFO as mentioned in John Keel’s book ‘UFOs: Operation Trojan Horse’ as having been seen all over the world but mysteriously my school companions failed to notice it (unlike me), even though it was several hundred feet long and clearly visible for ten minutes at least: Shared consciousness? Certainly not shared with them!).

Is it a dream? Is it Alice in Wonderland or Tom and Jerry, where the cat’s shattered ego breaks into pieces, like fractured glass? Psychic events happen when you’re open to them (relaxed/ unconscious as in dreams/ brainwashed). Conscious reality is consciously controlled - meaning it is guarded against unconscious urges/ information getting through to the outside world. Sleep and other unguarded moments, lead to collapse of the ego (certainty and rigid control), which lets in Freud’s (h)Id and Jungs symbolism: See Dabrowski’s positive disintegration for more on this.

The world is trying to sell an illusion (commercial interests promote the dream of perfection, so that it spreads and converts everywhere else as in religion, so that it all becomes a clone of itself (The world is the village, now). It’s like the snake in Disney’s Jungle Book ‘Trust in me, only me!’ (Don’t believe in you/ ignore your memories - there is nowhere else, no other life - become addicted to me and what we can offer you). In order to survive, what ever you do, you mustn’t admit the truth about the village, to yourself or others (take your cut and shut your mouth). Hence everyone but 6 and 2 are timid.

Life in the village is endless repetition - different only in detail (Groundhog Day). Six however wants to shatter the pattern (escape from the addictive habit) in the original and in the new version is highly unstable, hence the clinic’s importance (the insane don’t conform and the criminal doesn’t either but at some level wants to, unlike the former). Conformity is imposed through bullying and intimidation (unmutual Six in ‘Free for all’). Extroverted as opposed to introverted life ‘Don’t think/ feel! - stay in/ get out! (intellect versus emotion - the loner as opposed to society i.e. private versus public persona).

Homosexual? Only from the viewpoint of separate self as opposed to interaction with the other (allies sought for escape, nothing else - platonic mind as opposed to passionate body). The tight ship of the village, where no-one escapes (well oiled machine as opposed to loose cannon, unstable in the extreme.

Six is a wild animal (pacing in his cage in the original ‘Arrival’). He is surrounded by wilderness (wilder-ness) in bothold and new shows but ventures out into it at every opportunity, unlike his fellow prisoners, who’ve accepted their captivity. All the time his captors are trying to break his spirit in order to crush and tame him - even in the last episode of the old show, while placing him on a throne and asking for a speech, they drown him out. If we look at Mankind upon this planet in its present mode, we see this in today’s civilization - nature being crushed and harnessed, and now thanks to science this is even happening atomically.

Why the interrogation on top of this? An individual that has secrets, has independence of action, unlike someone that is open and honest in a relationship. If you are facing and communicating with someone, you are stably intwined with them. If you have secrets and keep something in reserve, then you have a means of escape (food, money, transport): The poor cannot run away/ the honest cannot escape contact with others.