who on WP finds city life too complicated?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

who on WP finds big-city life too complicated?
i take to big-city complexity like a duck takes to water 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
i barely tolerate it but i do function adequately in the big city 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
i had to flee the big city for the countryside long ago 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
the city life totally repelled me from the beginning 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 26

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 5:13 am

i just don't have the superfast/supercomplex mental processing genes necessary for successful city living. too many no-parking tow-away zones, parking meters, pole-mounted traffic signals, hidden street signs, noisy things, gridlocked traffic situations, confusingly tangled streets, never-ending street-construction work, people zigzagging everywhich way, stressful things in general. i just can't keep track of it all without getting lost out of my gourd. i can only survive in the rural woodsy places with no red lights, no parking meters, no crowds, no noise, no tangled streets always and haphazardly blocked by construction work, no people. anybody else on WP share my feelings on this issue?

p.s.- SF was the only city which made sense to me, but i just couldn't afford to live there. :(

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 6:08 am

No specific option for me in the poll. I used to live in the capitol of my state and it is a far cry from NYC or Chicago but I agree everything is more stressful. People are even more aggressive. I live in a city neighborhood in my hometown now, which is a mid sized city and the pace is much slower. I go out to work and get food and supplies, then I come back to the nest. I don't have the option for country living right now but I might go for it if I could. I'd rather live either in the city or the country than the suburbs. My brother lives so far out he has to drive 1/2 hour to get a pizza.

spooky13
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2010, 6:45 am

I've always lived in or close to a city. I wouldn't mind the country, except for all the bugs. 8O

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 7:58 am

Aimless wrote:
No specific option for me in the poll.

oops :oops: what poll option would you have liked?

Aimless wrote:
My brother lives so far out he has to drive 1/2 hour to get a pizza.

that is me also.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 8:00 am

auntblabby wrote:
Aimless wrote:
No specific option for me in the poll.

oops :oops: what poll option would you have liked?

Aimless wrote:
My brother lives so far out he has to drive 1/2 hour to get a pizza.

that is me also.

uhm...how about live in the city but it's not that big and I'd live in the country if I could. :wink:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 8:03 am

spooky13 wrote:
I've always lived in or close to a city. I wouldn't mind the country, except for all the bugs. 8O

when i visited for a few days in philly, i sure noticed lots of flies. not saying anything deliberately bad about that city, though. but the locals staters called it "filthydelphia."

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 10:57 am

Well having to costantly watch my money, yes I find city life pretty hard and difficult... Other than that, I;m alright, I used to have troubles being in crowds but I seemed to have started to overcome that fear. (not 100% though).

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 2:32 pm

I like it best in the country but I cant drive so it would be hard, but not as hard nowadays with the internet to order things online, I would idealy like to live in mid devon.

I visit London quite often and I find it very over whelming, i really struggle with depth perception so find crossing the busy roads a nightmare and I hate the tube :x when i went to london the other day I was flapping like mad lol.

but I dont mind smaller cities such as birmingham and southampton and brighton as they are much quieter and outside of the 1sq mile centre are really quiet. Brighton was lovely, its an old regency city and very cosmopolitan and tollerant, lots of alternative types there and a big LGBT scene and lots of mad people so I fitted in great there.

where i live now called milton keynes is nice as even though its a big town it has lots of big parks and a nice canal and so has best of both. its an odd town as it was made in the 1950s and has its roads set up in a grid system which is very odd for the UK, makes it look like an aspie with an obsession in roundabouts made it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 2:55 pm

I prefer the city. There's more for me to do, and I can dress up, if I want.

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 3:11 pm

spooky13 wrote:

More or less what I was going to say, probably with a different emoticon though.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 5:44 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i just don't have the superfast/supercomplex mental processing genes necessary for successful city living. too many no-parking tow-away zones, parking meters, pole-mounted traffic signals, hidden street signs, noisy things, gridlocked traffic situations, confusingly tangled streets, never-ending street-construction work, people zigzagging everywhich way, stressful things in general. i just can't keep track of it all without getting lost out of my gourd. i can only survive in the rural woodsy places with no red lights, no parking meters, no crowds, no noise, no tangled streets always and haphazardly blocked by construction work, no people. anybody else on WP share my feelings on this issue?

p.s.- SF was the only city which made sense to me, but i just couldn't afford to live there. :(

I live in a rural area and the houses are on 1 to 4 acre lots and it's nice in some ways.
I usually have to drive 20,000-22k + miles a year just to go to work and fuel prices were running us between 6 and 7 hundred a month when gas peaked @ 4 bucks a few years ago( for both of us).
We had some problem neighbors who insisted they could have chickens and ducks and kept 6 beagles in a kennel , and if the barking beagles didnt get on your nerves , then the crowing roosters would at dawn ,as sometimes they would parked themselves under my bedroom window. :roll:
We have a well and septic tank , and if you lose power you lose all water until the power comes back on.
The septic tank has to be pumped out and I have to dig 1 foot down to uncover the top for this.
The top has two concrete doors or lids and it takes a bottle jack and a 4x4 timber and chain to lift the these concrete covers off- every 7 years for our load..... I made up this rig to lift this as the covers are 350lbs each.
I had to install a back up generator because of frequent power outages.....need water to flush toliet.
Sometime ago , some city people lived next door , and they moved back to the city, when their septic drain field clogged and the 'septic pooh' runs over your grass and it backs up into your house..... a very expensive fix too.

I was born in the city , in a steel mill town near Lake Michigan, two blocks from Purdue University.
The neighborly tension is high when you have little lots, and all in all I wouldn't trade it .

Last edited by Mdyar on 04 May 2010, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 7:25 pm

It's just alright. It's tolerable. But prior to being in the Phoenix supercity, for 9 years I was living out in Aguila, a very small town 70 miles west of here. I really miss it, even after 10 years.

[img][650:387]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn304/JRM515/Aguila-1.jpg[/img]
[img][650:768]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn304/JRM515/parkerarizona_2007_001-1.jpg[/img]

spooky13
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2010, 7:29 pm

auntblabby wrote:
spooky13 wrote:

when i visited for a few days in philly, i sure noticed lots of flies. not saying anything deliberately bad about that city, though. but the locals staters called it "filthydelphia."

Yeah, flies and june bugs. Bees, I'm terrified of them!

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 7:34 pm

While cities do tend to overwhelm me at times, I think I'd prefer living in the city than living in the country. I'd die of boredom if I lived in the country.

I know this because my half-sister and her family live in a rural town near the Texas/Oklahoma border. My family and I sometimes drive up there to visit, and there isn't hardly anything to do there. I don't know how she can stand living there, it's so boring.

As of now, I live in the suburbs of the DFW metroplex (Arlington, to be exact). While Arlington is a pretty fun place to live, there is no public transportation here. :x If I were to move to a city, one of the top priorities for the city must be that it has public transportation.

Even though I prefer a more urban dwelling, I wouldn't mind living in a quaint little village, like one in the English countryside (but that's kind of a stretch). The Christmasy village of Leavenworth, WA (auntblabby, you might know more of this place since you live in WA) fascinates me.

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 7:38 pm

i love the city. alot of people are intemidated by the amout of people but they dont mind you at all they are like animals walking in a field. they might look at you for a second then go back to what they were doing. i live in a small town now, one of those places everyone knows you and stops to say hi and chit chat

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 11:36 pm

I'm currently living in a city on the Chesapeake Bay. I would rather live in a rural area on the Chesapeake Bay. I need/want peace and space. But at the same time I want to live close enough to DC and Baltimore so I can enjoy museums, libraries and cultural events. Maryland's Eastern Shore is looking so nice right now. :)