Anyone else here with these odd abilities?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,492
Location: The Poconos, Pennsylvania

28 Apr 2010, 11:04 pm

Well, today after much despairing about myself i decided to just start poking fun at myself and came upon the realization that I really am an oddball, even among all of you other odd fellowes XD

Well as for these 'abilities', ill list them.

1) I can accurately sense magnetic north. I kind of get an odd feeling of being slightly tugged towards it. I even had some people test it with me by holding up a compass after I did it, in multiple locations, and I was correct every time.

2) I can somehow know something without having ever learned/heard abbout it or even have known about it previously. An example would be the fact id know scientific facts and terminology I have never even heard before, and have even suprised a doctor once with the fact that after he diagnosed me as having a fistula, I gave a medically accurate definition of it without having prior knowledge of what it was. I do think however it might just be me coming up with a response based upon logical reasoning, although some of the things have no explanation whatsoever.

3)I can do that vulcan hand thing without having to use my other hand to split my fingers. XD

4)I can gather how a device works by mentally rippoing it apart, and this turns out to be accurate. (a good *movie* example would be the cyanide gas device from the sherlock holmes movie that was kinda outshadowed by avatars release.

5)Somehow I am the person most people I know of come to if they need advice. most of the time it is relationship advice. What is funny is the fact that My advice has worked for them but I have never been in a relationship myself. Maybe i need to follow my own f*****g advice for once :/

6)Stuff backfires on me if I dont go by gut instinct. As I have said, I am my own worst enemy.



:EDIT: Forgot to add one more really quick

7)I can visualize pretty much anything. It is more or less used for entertainment when I am bored though. Ill just go lay down somewhere and close my eyes and think of whatever I want to see, and I will see/hear/touch what is generated.Its kinda like having my own personal game system/tv in my head. I can interact with it on pretty much any level. Im still trying to work on sense of smell and taste though. If i need to be aware though, Ill just compose music in my head. And im gonna say this I dont really classify it as draming/daydreaming really as I tend to have total control of everything that is going on and can still respond fairly well to outside stimuli.


_________________
Myers Brigg - ISTP
Socionics - ISTx
Enneagram - 6w5

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/


SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,387
Location: Canada

28 Apr 2010, 11:29 pm

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
3)I can do that vulcan hand thing without having to use my other hand to split my fingers. XD

I can do that, I can also do the one where your ring and middle finger touch without touching your pinky or index finger. Never understood why some people can't do these things, they are effortless for me. I guess it's a muscle thing or something.

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
5)Somehow I am the person most people I know of come to if they need advice. most of the time it is relationship advice. What is funny is the fact that My advice has worked for them but I have never been in a relationship myself. Maybe i need to follow my own f***ing advice for once :/

I have also been this, back when I had friends who needed relationship advice. Actually I guess I still am, my one friend asked me something a few weeks ago about his dating situation. I usually just tell them the most logical/rational answer, and they seem impressed with it. But yeah, I've never been in a relationship so I think it's pretty funny when they ask me.


_________________
My dream is to one day know what my dream is.
~Michael Novotny


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,798
Location: the island of defective toy santas

29 Apr 2010, 1:31 am

let's see, my odd abilities are limited to the psychoaural facility of perfect pitch. other than that, i taught myself how to do the vulcan sign during TOS' original run back in the late 60s, when i was in elementary school. i went to the school lavatory one day, and the thought occured to me that i should, upon completion of my peepee, place my left hand on the wall and spread the middle and ring fingers apart with the fingers of my other hand. i stayed in this position for about 5 minutes, then when i took my left hand down, it remained in the vulcan position to the present day - hahaha- just kidding :lol: but that is in fact how i taught myself how to make the sign.



PLA
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,929
Location: Sweden

29 Apr 2010, 6:27 am

Number 3 ain't hard.


_________________
I can make a statement true by placing it first in this signature.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."


Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Nov 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,613
Location: Peterlee (for Industry)

29 Apr 2010, 6:51 am

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
1) I can accurately sense magnetic north. I kind of get an odd feeling of being slightly tugged towards it. I even had some people test it with me by holding up a compass after I did it, in multiple locations, and I was correct every time.


Some bloke called Robin Baker did a study on it for the zoology department of Manchester uni. a while back. Apparently we've got magnets in our noses. ^^ The paper is hosted on Nature's site so is presumably kosher. There may have been further research on it since then, but I've not found any yet.


_________________
No one has gone missing or died.

The year is still young.


Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 May 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,130
Location: Brisbane, Australia

29 Apr 2010, 8:21 am

I can do some abilities too if I go by instinct, especially either get into people's heads and or find things, though my own perception of this I actually remember a lot more the I conciously know, and by going by instincts I must do a thorough analysis. Something a long the lines that I never properly concentrate because if I activly do so, I become over stimulated, for instance in a game of cards or chess if I try I can read other's movements, but I quickly get a headache and it is no longer enjoyable. So I prefer to go by random and instincts and at times there are surprising results.

I can increase my calculating skill for some reason when I closs my eyes and tilt my head up a bit, I might put this with that I tend to also work better in a darker light then others, though I feel tired brightly lit rooms that are normal for working.

I get refered to as the ghost that walks, apparently I tend to move around quite silently.

I can do the vulcan thing with both hands, kind of self taught myself along with clicking, whistling and spining things like poles with my hand.


_________________
Through dream I travel, at lantern's call
To consume the flames of a kingdom's fall


DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,492
Location: The Poconos, Pennsylvania

29 Apr 2010, 8:44 am

PLA wrote:
Number 3 ain't hard.


it depends, most people I know In real life cannot even do it.


_________________
Myers Brigg - ISTP
Socionics - ISTx
Enneagram - 6w5

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/


spooky13
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 499
Location: Drifting through the fog of reality

29 Apr 2010, 9:05 am

I can do all of that,

Quote:
2) I can somehow know something without having ever learned/heard abbout it or even have known about it previously. An example would be the fact id know scientific facts and terminology I have never even heard before, and have even suprised a doctor once with the fact that after he diagnosed me as having a fistula, I gave a medically accurate definition of it without having prior knowledge of what it was. I do think however it might just be me coming up with a response based upon logical reasoning, although some of the things have no explanation whatsoever.


Weird, isn't it? It's like something is filed away in our brains and pops up now and then, like a mental reference encyclopedia. :)


_________________
"Why do it today when I can put it off until tomorrow."
Diagnosed aspie with an NT alter-ego.


Moog
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,671
Location: Untied Kingdom

29 Apr 2010, 9:52 am

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
1) I can accurately sense magnetic north. I kind of get an odd feeling of being slightly tugged towards it. I even had some people test it with me by holding up a compass after I did it, in multiple locations, and I was correct every time.


Do you have a lot of fillings in your teeth, or a metal ass that you got in 'Nam?


_________________
Not currently a moderator


pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Mar 2010
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,477

29 Apr 2010, 10:48 am

well I have # 3, 4 and 7

I can do #3 with both hands! yay me



DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,492
Location: The Poconos, Pennsylvania

29 Apr 2010, 12:41 pm

Moog wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:
1) I can accurately sense magnetic north. I kind of get an odd feeling of being slightly tugged towards it. I even had some people test it with me by holding up a compass after I did it, in multiple locations, and I was correct every time.


Do you have a lot of fillings in your teeth, or a metal ass that you got in 'Nam?


nope.


_________________
Myers Brigg - ISTP
Socionics - ISTx
Enneagram - 6w5

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/


DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,492
Location: The Poconos, Pennsylvania

29 Apr 2010, 12:42 pm

spooky13 wrote:
I can do all of that,

Quote:
2) I can somehow know something without having ever learned/heard abbout it or even have known about it previously. An example would be the fact id know scientific facts and terminology I have never even heard before, and have even suprised a doctor once with the fact that after he diagnosed me as having a fistula, I gave a medically accurate definition of it without having prior knowledge of what it was. I do think however it might just be me coming up with a response based upon logical reasoning, although some of the things have no explanation whatsoever.


Weird, isn't it? It's like something is filed away in our brains and pops up now and then, like a mental reference encyclopedia. :)



Yeah that is pretty much how I would visualize it.


_________________
Myers Brigg - ISTP
Socionics - ISTx
Enneagram - 6w5

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/


Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 May 2009
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,450
Location: x

29 Apr 2010, 1:39 pm

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
1) I can accurately sense magnetic north. I kind of get an odd feeling of being slightly tugged towards it. I even had some people test it with me by holding up a compass after I did it, in multiple locations, and I was correct every time.


I can't do that. I have a terrible sense of direction.

Quote:
2) I can somehow know something without having ever learned/heard abbout it or even have known about it previously. An example would be the fact id know scientific facts and terminology I have never even heard before, and have even suprised a doctor once with the fact that after he diagnosed me as having a fistula, I gave a medically accurate definition of it without having prior knowledge of what it was. I do think however it might just be me coming up with a response based upon logical reasoning, although some of the things have no explanation whatsoever.


I can do this. Although what I'm probably actually doing is forgetting where I learned/heard about something. If you think about it, it is rather pointless for your brain to keep on file not only everything you know, but also the exact moment when you learned it. Many things you will remember learning because they are linked to strong school memories or other memorable events that pins the moment-of- learning to your brain. But if you know what a fistula is because you read about it in a magazine article, there is no reason for your brain to hang on to the memory of you reading the magazine article. The only important thing is the definition of fistual so that's what you hang on to. Of course you will think "I remember reading magazines, I have lots of those memories". And you surely do. But there is no reason for your brain to hang on to the point-of-learning for absolutely everything you know. It would just clutter up your brain.

Quote:
3)I can do that vulcan hand thing without having to use my other hand to split my fingers. XD
So can I. This was somewhat popular when I was a kid. Lots of people couldn't do it initially but could after a little practice. It's nothing more than telling your brain what muscles to use, which people can do after practice. (The Star Trek actors, for instance.)

Quote:
4)I can gather how a device works by mentally rippoing it apart, and this turns out to be accurate. (a good *movie* example would be the cyanide gas device from the sherlock holmes movie that was kinda outshadowed by avatars release.
This I can't do. If I don't get a written or verbal explanation, I simply can't tell just by looking. I'm that person who really does have to read the directions all the way through or read the users manual all the way through before being able to use something.

[



Quote:
7)I can visualize pretty much anything. It is more or less used for entertainment when I am bored though. Ill just go lay down somewhere and close my eyes and think of whatever I want to see, and I will see/hear/touch what is generated.Its kinda like having my own personal game system/tv in my head. I can interact with it on pretty much any level. Im still trying to work on sense of smell and taste though. If i need to be aware though, Ill just compose music in my head. And im gonna say this I dont really classify it as draming/daydreaming really as I tend to have total control of everything that is going on and can still respond fairly well to outside stimuli.
I can do this but also not smell and taste. Maybe this is because I (we?) see, hear and feel in dreams but can't smell or taste. So there is nightly mental exercise in doing the first three but not the latter two senses. Maybe it's human brain wiring. I wonder if dogs can smell in their dreams?



PLA
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,929
Location: Sweden

30 Apr 2010, 3:33 am

Janissy wrote:
Quote:
4)I can gather how a device works by mentally rippoing it apart, and this turns out to be accurate. (a good *movie* example would be the cyanide gas device from the sherlock holmes movie that was kinda outshadowed by avatars release.
This I can't do. If I don't get a written or verbal explanation, I simply can't tell just by looking. I'm that person who really does have to read the directions all the way through or read the users manual all the way through before being able to use something.

Even if I already understand it, I feel that I have to get through the manual before I can use it. I'm getting better, though.


_________________
I can make a statement true by placing it first in this signature.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."


OneLastBreath
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 290
Location: Washington State,USA

30 Apr 2010, 9:21 am

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
3)I can do that vulcan hand thing without having to use my other hand to split my fingers. 7)I can visualize pretty much anything. It is more or less used for entertainment when I am bored though. Ill just go lay down somewhere and close my eyes and think of whatever I want to see, and I will see/hear/touch what is generated.Its kinda like having my own personal game system/tv in my head. I can interact with it on pretty much any level. Im still trying to work on sense of smell and taste though. If i need to be aware though, Ill just compose music in my head. And im gonna say this I dont really classify it as draming/daydreaming really as I tend to have total control of everything that is going on and can still respond fairly well to outside stimuli.


The vulcan hand thing I have been able to do since I was a child when I first became a fan of Star Trek.

The visualization thing I also have done since I was a young kid, but now that I am older I tend to do it and then write it down. I have written many short stories and I am working on a few books.


_________________
RIDE TILL YOU DIE


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

30 Apr 2010, 9:43 am

OneLastBreath wrote:
[

The vulcan hand thing I have been able to do since I was a child when I first became a fan of Star Trek.

The visualization thing I also have done since I was a young kid, but now that I am older I tend to do it and then write it down. I have written many short stories and I am working on a few books.


I can do the split unaided with my right hand. The true descendants of Aaron the High Priest of Israel, the so called Kohanim, can do the split with both hands and thereby properly administer the three-fold blessing on the people of the congregation. It turns out that Leonard Nimoy is a Kohayn.

Live long and prosper

\\// \\//

ruveyn