Anyone else here with these odd abilities?

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2010, 12:04 pm

Interesting topic :)

I can do the vulcan hand sign no problem. Is it really that hard? I dunno. I should ask some other people. I'm really terrible at a lot of physical things otherwise, especially sports that require hand eye coordination.

I don't do the second thing, but I get deja vus all the time. I know where I am because I recognize everything, yet I've never been there before. I'll see a vision in my mind's eye and there it will be, sometimes whole scenes, sometimes only an object. For example, I might think, "Wow, that's odd. I recognize everything on this street. How can I? There's a church if I look way down the street to the left." Then I turn left and there's the church. Other times it's a person or an event, like a dialogue or a happening that I'll see or hear right before it actually happens, kind of like if I were living in a space-time continuum movie...a "Back To The Future" moment in real life.

I can visual the same way you can.

I get premonitions that come true (visual, auditory or sentient).

I feel energy from other life forms (people, animals).

I have an innate sense of direction as well, but only outside. I can always tell NSEW. But, not inside buildings because that blocks the senses.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 12:07 pm

Moog wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:
1) I can accurately sense magnetic north. I kind of get an odd feeling of being slightly tugged towards it. I even had some people test it with me by holding up a compass after I did it, in multiple locations, and I was correct every time.

Do you have a lot of fillings in your teeth, or a metal ass that you got in 'Nam?

HAHA. That was a funny sentence.

I don't see how you can sense it, DemonAbyss. :S You sure you're not subconciously using the light? If there's some reason, and you're right, that's darned useful.

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2010, 12:15 pm

ruveyn wrote:
I can do the split unaided with my right hand. The true descendants of Aaron the High Priest of Israel, the so called Kohanim, can do the split with both hands and thereby properly administer the three-fold blessing on the people of the congregation. It turns out that Leonard Nimoy is a Kohayn.

Live long and prosper

\\// \\//

ruveyn

I can do the Vulcan salute unaided with both hands :D

I didn't realize the Jewish background significance of it until just now reading about it and watching a Leanord Nimoy video discussing how he came up with using it.

I had no idea most people find it hard to do. I'm going to go around doing the Vulcan salute all day now! hehe

(maybe I'll get someone to take a pic of my doing it :P what's my age again?)

Live long and prosper

\\// \\//

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 5:09 pm

Spazzergasm wrote:
Moog wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:
1) I can accurately sense magnetic north. I kind of get an odd feeling of being slightly tugged towards it. I even had some people test it with me by holding up a compass after I did it, in multiple locations, and I was correct every time.

Do you have a lot of fillings in your teeth, or a metal ass that you got in 'Nam?

I don't see how you can sense it, DemonAbyss. :S You sure you're not subconciously using the light? If there's some reason, and you're right, that's darned useful.

I tested it and it works in a windowless room. Still cant really explain it way. (and yes they have been doing research into magnetoception more, and more and more mammals are starting to be known to have it, most notably, Cows.)

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 5:54 pm

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
Spazzergasm wrote:
Moog wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:

I tested it and it works in a windowless room. Still cant really explain it way. (and yes they have been doing research into magnetoception more, and more and more mammals are starting to be known to have it, most notably, Cows.)

Hmm, strange. I don't have that ability. XD

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 7:40 pm

Spazzergasm wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:
Spazzergasm wrote:
Moog wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:

Hmm, strange. I don't have that ability. XD

well found one of the few good articles on magnetoreception, so ill link it here --->>> http://www.pnas.org/content/105/36/13451.full

as for its existence in humans, experiments are inconclusive, here is a link to another research paper on it --->>> http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VKN-4CCNXT0-8&_user=10&_coverDate=11%2F11%2F2000&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1318096939&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=d5a426338f9ed8b72f992eacb7d2e4ed

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 10:26 pm

I have a really great sense of direction, but I don't know if it's an attraction to magnetic north (which is so cool, btw!). I always seem to sense where I am on the planet and the direction I'm facing. And I feel my way to places very easily. It's just a sense of where something is and how to get to it.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 12:16 am

I never realized that people couldn't do the salute...always have been able to do that.
I can curl my tongue, but lots of people can do that...
I can play by ear...by hearing the intervals in pitch, and reconstructing the chord.
I do math backwards (multiply from left to right, and add the figures; make change by subtracting 1 from the dollars, then doing the change part...;)

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 7:44 am

I can metabolise lactose. 8)

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 9:01 am

PLA wrote:
I can metabolise lactose. 8)

and I can't. :(

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 10:41 am

SamwiseGamgee wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:
3)I can do that vulcan hand thing without having to use my other hand to split my fingers. XD

I can do that, I can also do the one where your ring and middle finger touch without touching your pinky or index finger. Never understood why some people can't do these things, they are effortless for me. I guess it's a muscle thing or something.

These are supposed to be hard? 8O I had no idea.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Leander
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 May 2010, 10:45 am

Janissy wrote:
I can do this. Although what I'm probably actually doing is forgetting where I learned/heard about something. If you think about it, it is rather pointless for your brain to keep on file not only everything you know, but also the exact moment when you learned it. Many things you will remember learning because they are linked to strong school memories or other memorable events that pins the moment-of- learning to your brain. But if you know what a fistula is because you read about it in a magazine article, there is no reason for your brain to hang on to the memory of you reading the magazine article. The only important thing is the definition of fistual so that's what you hang on to. Of course you will think "I remember reading magazines, I have lots of those memories". And you surely do. But there is no reason for your brain to hang on to the point-of-learning for absolutely everything you know. It would just clutter up your brain.

Those were my thoughts on reading #2 as well. I don't think there's anything unusual about it.

I find that creativity works this way as well. Whatever a person draws, composes or writes, it's going to have roots in countless creative influences and experiences they've had over the years, most of which they won't be consciously referencing. I've frequently drawn something I thought was original, then come across an old graphic novel or something years later and realised that the idea was derived from something I saw long ago, but couldn't remember.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 12:33 pm

Leander wrote:
Janissy wrote:
I can do this. Although what I'm probably actually doing is forgetting where I learned/heard about something. If you think about it, it is rather pointless for your brain to keep on file not only everything you know, but also the exact moment when you learned it. Many things you will remember learning because they are linked to strong school memories or other memorable events that pins the moment-of- learning to your brain. But if you know what a fistula is because you read about it in a magazine article, there is no reason for your brain to hang on to the memory of you reading the magazine article. The only important thing is the definition of fistual so that's what you hang on to. Of course you will think "I remember reading magazines, I have lots of those memories". And you surely do. But there is no reason for your brain to hang on to the point-of-learning for absolutely everything you know. It would just clutter up your brain.

Those were my thoughts on reading #2 as well. I don't think there's anything unusual about it.

I find that creativity works this way as well. Whatever a person draws, composes or writes, it's going to have roots in countless creative influences and experiences they've had over the years, most of which they won't be consciously referencing. I've frequently drawn something I thought was original, then come across an old graphic novel or something years later and realised that the idea was derived from something I saw long ago, but couldn't remember.

This has happened to me before. Once I named an imaginary city "Intrepidville", thinking I had come up with something original, only to find out later that Intrepidville is the name of a city in an old cartoon I used to watch (Lloyd in Space).

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 1:25 pm

Damn you have me beat! I cannot do that Vulcan sign unless I use my other had. Image

Taupey

Althea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2010, 4:17 pm

Number 2:

I remember in French a few years ago we had the radio on, and it was something like the Great Quiz of Britain, well something along those lines anyway, where the top Quiz people took part in it, and there was a question about what is jail fever, and immediately I thought, oh, I bet its typhus (I dont think Id ever heard of typhus before, and I couldnt tell you what it is now either), so I whispered this to my friend. Anyway, the quiz people, none of them could get it, and lo and behold, the answer was typhus. I was quite impressed really :)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 4:41 pm

spooky13 wrote:
I can do all of that,

Quote:
2) I can somehow know something without having ever learned/heard abbout it or even have known about it previously. An example would be the fact id know scientific facts and terminology I have never even heard before, and have even suprised a doctor once with the fact that after he diagnosed me as having a fistula, I gave a medically accurate definition of it without having prior knowledge of what it was. I do think however it might just be me coming up with a response based upon logical reasoning, although some of the things have no explanation whatsoever.

Weird, isn't it? It's like something is filed away in our brains and pops up now and then, like a mental reference encyclopedia. :)

this! when a young child in second grade I insisted I knew a song from the new book they gave us in our weekly singing class. When I was unable to tell the instructor where I had learned it from she became short with me and said "just sing it, then!" and I did, in my clear voice on seemingly perfect pitch. I still can sing it and have never encountered the song again in my life. Sometimes I wonder if I don't just pick things up from people, like a sort of radio that you can't adjust the tuning. I mean the music teacher was the only one that knew the song, and when we were looking through the book I asked about the song that caused the music teacher to remember it and I just picked it up in the ether. . . :roll: that is not too far fetched, is it?

Merle