Daylight Savings Time: useful or not?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 2:26 am

So I was thinking about DST... and how easily I adapt to setting the clock forward. I hear people around me complain about losing an hour, and having to adjust to the new time, but I don't have that anymore. And then I thought: 'So, what does DST do, really?' I mean, I guess I could understand the angle of people saving energy because they have more sunlight in the evening and turn on the lights an hour later. But then, why not just keep this time with a relatively late sundown, all year long. So that, in the countries beyond the Tropics of Cancer/Capricorn, the sun doesn't go down at, for example, 5 o' clock, but at 6 o' clock?

Anyone have opinions on the usefulness (or lack of) concerning DST?

Also, you could post whether or not you have problems adjusting to setting the clock backward/forward.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 3:33 am

Quote:
The Navajo Nation is the only region within the state of Arizona that observes Daylight Saving Time (DST); it does this to have consistency among its peoples, as some of the Nation is located within the boundaries of two other states that observe DST. The remainder of Arizona, including the Hopi Reservation, is the only area of the continental United States that does not change its clocks.

Basically blotches of land in Arizona are on daylight savings due to the reservations. Other than that we don't have daylight savings, so... we simply grow up angry because our favorite TV programs change an hour ahead/back.

Either way DST is highly entertaining. The natives end up getting home really late. :P

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 3:46 am

I sort of feel that DST isn't so important anymore. If you live in a city, chances are that you are not particularly affected by how light it is at a certain time. If you're a farmer or something, then you probably know all about how the daylight changes throughout the year, and so you don't really need the hand-holding.

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2012, 4:18 am

Whereabouts in the world you are makes a difference, in particular your latitude. Every so often there is talk here in the UK of permanently moving the clocks 1 hour ahead of GMT to be in line with Europe. That's a great idea, if you want kids in Scotland going to school in the dark.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 9:13 am

I really wish they would choose one time standard and leave it that way... so we aren't changing the clocks back and forth every spring and autumn.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 2:33 pm

It's as meaningless to me as time in general.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 2:42 pm

I like it

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 5:18 pm

Yes it is useful if you grew up working on a farm man I do miss working on the farm at my old high school and in middle school.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

25 Mar 2012, 6:22 pm

TenPencePiece wrote:
I like it

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 6:24 pm

Yeah, I don't see the point of daylight savings time. I'd rather it get dark later.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 6:39 pm

lostgirl1986 wrote:
Yeah, I don't see the point of daylight savings time. I'd rather it get dark later.

It was invented for farmers like myself :wink: