Did you ever know someone who disappeared?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 12:12 pm

I personally didn't but my mother's workmate's adult son (he was in his late 20's-early 30's back then, somewhere in the late 90's or at the very beginning of this century when it happened) one day just vanished without a trace. Later I heard those rumors he was in Germany and contacted his family but very recently I asked my mom about this and she claims it's just a rumor far from the truth because nobody knows what really happened to him, he's missing for good.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 1:16 pm

To many I used to know I suddenly disappeared

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 3:17 am

One of the science teachers I had in year 7 went missing (at least that was the story. They think he left to become a hermit out in the bush somewhere). Also, the brother of my mum's friend has been listed as a missing person for many years now.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 3:34 am

My uncle, he's been missing for 7 years. We contacted with police and no one's seen hyde nor hair of him. He left a lot behind including his wife and 2 kids. The only thing he took with him was his car and wallet. My aunt said they had a few spats after him losing his job. Not sure the reason he left except supposedly to go work on someone's car.

He struggled with depression and PTSD, so anything could've happened.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 3:58 am

I went to college with a man who vanished. I wish that I would have been nicer to him. He was mean to me, first though. He looked like a blue-eyed version of my role model. My appetite is already shot. If I go on about this guy, and how I wish I didn't hurt him, I won't even be drinking Slim-Fast, so I'd better stop, here.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 5:41 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I went to college with a man who vanished. I wish that I would have been nicer to him. He was mean to me, first though.

this brings to mind an important but tough life lesson- be as nice to folk as you are able to, for you never know when they will be gone forever- once they are gone, there will be no further chances to mend fences and possibly make friendships with those folk.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 3:13 pm

My pesky neighbor was all of a sudden gone. One day he was at my house and the next day he was gone. It was like he vanished.
Then my mom told me our neighbor said he went to Europe to be with his relatives and I found it hard to believe. First of all, it takes six weeks to get a passport, six weeks. Two, I am sure he would have said something about it if he was going. Three, how can someone vanish that quickly?

My parents and I figured maybe he was taken by social services finally and his mother lied about it because she didn't want us to know. My mom didn't think she would let her son live with her ex's relatives if he was bad. My pesky neighbor's father tried to hire someone to kill his mom and his sister but that guy went to the police. So he was in prison and she and him were divorced. My mom just didn't think she would let her son live with her ex's brother.

But then months later after she had snuck out of our rental house, my brother and his friend saw her in town with her son in the car and she saw them and my brother got to see where they live. She had her son back but then I later heard from my mother they had moved to Spokane and I said it was a god thing because they have family there and maybe the mother is getting help now raising her son. I am not sure how my mother found out. I figured maybe someone told her.

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 6:29 am

I had an uncle who disappeared in 1920.

However, there was an interesting story from BC when I lived there at the time.
An icy bridge. An old couple. They swerved and went off the bridge into the icy waters. Two teenage boys behind them stopped and jumped into the river and pulled them out. But while they were down there they saw a second car. They reported this to the police at the scene. The police sent down divers and found an old car with a skeleton in it. Upon checking the license plate, they identified a man who had disappeared 40 years previously. He had been a teacher and engaged at the time. The woman, who was still alive, had thought he just got scared and ran out on her.

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 6:47 am

Well, my father has disappeared, I mean, I could find him if I wanted to, but I have no idea where he is, nor do I care where he is.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 8:23 am

Someone I went to school with disappeared. She later turned up raped and murdered under somebody's living room. My uncle disappeared off the face of the earth, we don't know what happened to him.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 7:09 am

sufi wrote:
I had an uncle who disappeared in 1920.

However, there was an interesting story from BC when I lived there at the time.
An icy bridge. An old couple. They swerved and went off the bridge into the icy waters. Two teenage boys behind them stopped and jumped into the river and pulled them out. But while they were down there they saw a second car. They reported this to the police at the scene. The police sent down divers and found an old car with a skeleton in it. Upon checking the license plate, they identified a man who had disappeared 40 years previously. He had been a teacher and engaged at the time. The woman, who was still alive, had thought he just got scared and ran out on her.

That's a sad story about the teacher. You know, maybe he did get scared, and it was a suicide... but whichever it was, I hope his fiance had managed to grieve and move on with her life, maybe marry someone else.