Heather Kuzmich does NOT have Asperger's (misdiangosed)

Page 4 of 11 [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Heather Kuzmich was wrongly diagnosed Asperger
agree with psychologist 15%  15%  [ 23 ]
disagree with psychologist 85%  85%  [ 127 ]
Total votes : 150

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 3:40 am

Sparrowrose wrote:
dyingofpoetry wrote:
It's useless to debate anything. This troll did not come here to debate; he came here to push a belief. That belief is that we have no chance to be successful at anything, and if we are successful then we cannot be autistic.

It is one of the oldest fallacies around: You are either a complete invalid or you are a faker.

I've been harassed enough in my life already. If you want to play mind games with the bully, then fine, go ahead, but please don't take him seriously.

I'm feeling more socially clueless than usual because I believe you when you say that he is a troll, but I never would have figured that out on my own and I can't see how you figured it out. This is probably related to what someone was telling me yesterday about how people come into my life and push my buttons and get me all worked up and I never see that they're just playing me like a musical instrument. I hate feeling so socially vulnerable and easily victimized. :-(

That's okay, but according to Tangerine's philosophy, I should not have been able to tell that he was a troll at all, thus I could not have Asperger's.... and if I had less self-confidence than I do, he may have been successful in causing me to doubt myself.

But we all have our own strengths and weaknesses. People on the spectrum are individuals, not diagnoses. We are just different, not sick, like Tangerine wants us to be.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:29 am

dyingofpoetry wrote:
That's okay, but according to Tangerine's philosophy, I should not have been able to tell that he was a troll at all, [...]

That's terribly, terribly, mean: trolling a group of people you believe are incapable of realizing that you are toying with them! Never mind that some of us *can* spot it; if one believes that we are unable to know that we are being had, that's lower than kicking a dog!

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

tangerine12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2010, 9:54 am

Sparrowrose wrote:
dyingofpoetry wrote:
That's okay, but according to Tangerine's philosophy, I should not have been able to tell that he was a troll at all, [...]

That's terribly, terribly, mean: trolling a group of people you believe are incapable of realizing that you are toying with them! Never mind that some of us *can* spot it; if one believes that we are unable to know that we are being had, that's lower than kicking a dog!

"dyingofpoetry" has been unprofessional, unethical, uncivilized, and violating forum rules, and I ask WP mods to delete his posts and bann him from the forums.

"dyingofpoetry" has violated the following forum rules,

===================
WrongPlanet Rules
===================

Conduct
-----------
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

1. Posting offensive language, comments, video, or images.
Unacceptable content includes swearing; racist, sexist, homophobic language; behavior intended to provoke or belittle other members; violent or sexually demeaning content; sexual fetish; and discussion of excretory function. Posting graphic images or videos of people or animals being harmed is prohibited.

2. Personal attacks.
This includes insinuation, ridicule and personal insults, regardless of whether direct or indirect. Attacking an opinion, belief or philosophy is acceptable, but attacking the person making the comments is not.

as evidence by such comments as

"troll alert!" "personal threats and attacks "How about we follow you around with a camera to create a training DVD to show what a troll looks like?"

Posting Specifications
--------------------
* Please don't post duplicate threads.
* Don't spam the forums with affiliate links
* Reposting a locked or deleted posts or threads is against the rules.
* Personal attacks against people or other sites are not permitted. If you have an issue with someone, talk to them about it somewhere other than our forum.
* Ensure that links and pictures in posts fit the page format
* Posts which disrupt the page format may be edited or deleted by the Moderators.
* Mentioning your own site is only permitted once you've contributed substantial useful content to the forums.
* Owners of WrongPlanet reserve the right to delete, edit, move, or lock any thread for any reason.

I've filed a complaint with Alex and with mods that dyingofpoetry has violated forum rules, and I ask they delete his posts and bann him forever from WP, I'll wait to hear from Alex and the mods before I continue.

Last edited by tangerine12 on 31 May 2010, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

tangerine12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2010, 10:13 am

DandelionFireworks wrote:
I am a diagnosed Aspie. I disagree with the premises, though, having never seen Heather Kuzmich, I don't know whether or not the conclusion is correct.

Quote:
Just something as simple as making eye contact remains something that an Apserger's person has to do consciously. It's a social rule that they're taught to use, and for them it's like someone learning to drive a car - only the various behaviors never become automatic. There'd be no understanding and use of something like an eyeroll.

:roll:

Quote:
Or the way she automatically reacted on a recent show when someone was insulted and she gasped and covered her mouth with her hand.

Difficult, yes. That would require her to be mentally present for the entire exchange (possible), detect that the insult was an insult (I don't know what the insult was, but some insults are pretty obvious), recognize that insults are bad (requiring either memorization of a rule, which is easy, or theory of mind, which is present in some individuals) and show the appropriate emotion (many Aspies do show emotion naturally, though some do not; if Heather doesn't, it would also be possible to fake it).

That does not mean she doesn't have Asperger's.

Quote:
An Asperger's person wouldn't be noticing and understanding emotional expression in eyes,

Because there ISN'T ANY. Eyes are little round balls of fluid. NTs pick up on emotional expression in the area around the eyes (the eyebrows, the eyelids, the presence or absence of tears, the orbicularis oculi muscle) and unconsciously think of it as coming from the eyes themselves.

Quote:
and would never talk about "dead eyes." People with Asperger's are very concrete. Ask what "two heads are better than one" means and you'll be told that someone with two brains could think twice as much. "Dead eyes" to someone with Asperger's would mean someone went blind because their eyes died.

No one I know has ever just, say, memorized enough idioms to understand normal speech.

/sarcasm

They're actually fairly easy to understand if you read them in a story, and if you read enough fiction you'll get a working dictionary to carry over. Best way to learn social skills, because the book will never walk away. Read enough conversations, you start to understand how conversation works. Read enough descriptions of emotion and you pick up on how certain emotions are expressed. ("He furrowed his brow in concentration." "He ground his teeth, seething." "She glared at the impudent wretch." Visual media work better, because although you don't get the verbal descriptions, you get to actually see the expression, and you can watch to see how the person acts. This works better if you've memorized Emotion 101 and know things like "tears mean sadness" and "kissing means love," because in that case you get to see the subtleties and the mixed feelings.)

Quote:
Then the whole idea of living in a new situation, with a ton of strangers, outside of one's routine (which gets somewhat ritualistic with an Asperger's person) would be a huge trigger for anxiety and complete panic-like meltdowns for someone with Asperger's.

No argument here, except that there are ways to cope.

Quote:
If took every kid in our Asperger's group, or every Asperger's indvidual in our practice, and filmed them all for 24/7 for a week, there'd not be any scenes (outside of sleeping) where viewers would see "normal."

So when I sit at a table, stick a fork in my food and bring it to my mouth, I'm doing it very differently from the way you do? Good to know.

Seriously. There will be short scenes of near-normal at the least, because we're all human. Yes, I have Asperger's 24/7, but that isn't the end-all be-all of my identity. Yesterday, I hugged my mother. I looked pretty normal doing it, I bet. (Then I sniffed her hair, and any illusion of normalcy went out the window.) Right now, I'm sitting at a computer typing. I stim occasionally, but since it takes hands to stim and it takes hands to type, I'm forced to choose between them. There are big periods of time (like, a minute or more) in which I don't stim at all, just sit here, look at the screen and type. Any time I stop typing, I start stimming very surreptitiously with the keyboard, but that amounts to a fraction of an inch of movement of my index fingers. Even when I do stim, it often looks like I need to scratch an itch. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I make a typo, too. Then I hit backspace. I'm kind of slouching right now.

Admittedly, I'm sitting cross-legged in a chair, but if you claim that that makes this scene abnormal, you probably won't find very many scenes of "normal" even if you film NTs.

Yeah, there are stims, but to someone who doesn't know what to look for, I probably look itchy or antsy or OCD, when I bother to do them. Otherwise, I'm pretty much typing like anyone else.

Quote:
But more than that, they can't "edit in" abilities that a person with Asperger's absolutely would not demonstrate.

There's not one single sentence in the DSM-IV-TR that says "must be utterly unable under any circumstances to..."

Quote:
Heather has natural affect.

You mean shows emotion naturally? Yeah, that's really rare, just like eyerolling. :roll: When I first read that I spoke angrily to my computer, explaining that "you're an idiot!" Then in a much calmer tone of voice, I informed the other people in the room that "you're not an idiot."

I had a flat affect most of yesterday. The last time my affect was naturally flat for more than a few minutes at a time was last October.

Quote:
Heather understands non-verbals and effortlessly uses them.

1. The cues are learnable.
2. Watch what you call effortless. It's easy for you. Maybe she's straining without your knowledge.

Quote:
Heather has normal voice tone and modulation.

1. Not in the diagnostic criteria.
2. Do you know how much effort she's expending to do that?
3. The other day I was watching a friend dance. I didn't know the routine ahead of time. When she broke off from the other dancers and kept on with what she was doing, I didn't realize she'd made a mistake. I didn't know what she meant to do and you don't know how Kurzmich means to sound.

Quote:
Heather has normal vocal inflection.

So do I. You can get a dx with overly formal speech, too. As an adult she might well have learned to mask her issues.

Quote:
Heather understands emotion,

Emotion? What is this "emotion" of which you speak? It is a foreign concept to me, beep boop beep.

Quote:
can read it in others, and responds to it appropriately.

There are people with CP who can walk, too. (What is it with us and analogies to CP?)

Quote:
All facets of human behavior and fucntioning occur on a continuum. Some people are more one way than others. Difference isn't a disorder. Heather is functioning normally. She's on the show, making friends, living with the other girls, winning competitions, etc. Without impairment, there is no disorder.

Ummm... yeah. Thanks for finally getting it. That's what we've been trying to say. You know what I have to say to that? Scroll down. Way down.

Hi,
I'll be happy to reply to your thoughtful intelligent discussion but only after WP mods ban "dyingofpoetry" for his numerous violations of forum rules including repeated attacks, abusive language, unsupported ad hominen attacks. His comments are inappropriate, unprofessional, and detract and lower the quality of this discussion. I've contacted them and filed a formal complaint against him. I'll wait until I hear from the mods as to what they do with him.

In the meantime, you can watch season 9 ANTM on youtube,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ArfLHLmNUU

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 10:54 am

I would gladly accept being deleted as long as you are as well. You attack in your way; I attack in mine. Mine is just more direct and honest, which is the only way an Asperger's man knows how to be.

I also believe that you created an earlier thread in which you discussed a bogus lawsuit (as you claim to be neurotypical in your profile) in another clever effort to establish that Asperger's is not a legitimate disability and on this you are correct; it is not a disability. We are very capable people who may occasionally need some assistance.

I am very protective of my people and new family. I don't want to see anyone hurt. If I should get banned for caring, then so be it.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 11:52 am

Ought-ism? topic

What does it matter if Ms. Kuzmich have Asperger's autism or not?

There is always a reason for threads such as these? Can you explain, Tangerine?

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 2:10 pm

I don't agree with the part about concrete language usage. When I was a kid, I had a tough time with literal thinking, but as I grew, I learned the difference between literal thinking and abstract. It took me a while to master it, but I have worked, at least, twice as hard to master what others seem to know automatically. Just because you are diagnosed AS does not mean that you can never understand abstract language usage or can't master metaphorical thinking and application. You can, eventually, figure out when someone uses figurative language and can become quite skilled at it yourself, if you have a mind to, work at it and with the desire, if it's what you really want, you can learn it, which is often the case with AS. You just have to work harder at mastering certain things that come naturally to others.

For me, eye contact is much more difficult, because I subconsciously fail to look people in the eyes and am not even aware of when I am looking away. It's something I have not learned because I am not aware of when I look away.

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2010, 2:27 pm

:idea:

I can see this thread quickly becoming a means for frustration and anger to come into WP. I'd suggest everyone take a time out and think critically about what is going on in this thread, not just the discussion.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 2:51 pm

Oh, I think we have figured that out, Jayroo, and sadly, it worked. Because of that, I will not be posting to this thread again. There is no reason that I should be participating in this further. I believe that we should be preserving a sense of support and unity. We should not fall prey to those inciting divisiveness.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 3:14 pm

Tangerine, I'm flattered that you consider me thoughtful and intelligent :D , but I have to point out that if you refuse to partake in reasoned debate with someone until a third party is banned, you're only depriving yourself of the chance to broaden your own horizons.

I must say that although I don't agree with dyingofpoetry that you're a troll (you act just like I do when I'm clueless), I do think you're having trouble grasping the social dynamics here. (That's to be expected. That's why you're here.) I would love to read your response when you decide to post it. And you know, if you hold yourself hostage like that, you're giving him petty leverage over your soul. Just don't. If you want to respond, do it for yourself, or for me.

dyingofpoetry, you could be right, but I don't suffer at all if I give Tang the benefit of the doubt regardless. It seems unlikely to me, as well. I often get into similar exchanges wherein people think I'm willfully ignorant or trolling-- more often in real life, and when I was new to Teh Intrawebs-- when I'm trying to understand something or have a reasoned debate. And anyway, that's not how you call troll. NEEDS MOAR MACROS. Some scathing wit wouldn't go amiss either. Otherwise, you're stating (what you believe to be) facts. *yawn* If Tang is a troll, at least he's a convincing one.

flyingkittycat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2010, 3:41 pm

I watched that show when Heather was on. I did not get the impression she was misdiagnosed or making it up.

When she went on stage to speak, she couldn't get the words out. She didn't really make dead on eye contact. It appeared to be more like a trick learned where you look at eyebrows and often times when I'm reading lips my family can't tell that I am not looking them in the eyes. The way the other girls treated her. How lost she was in the city. How she froze up while during a model shoot a guy was to hold the model in the air while ice skating and the model was supposed to pose. She froze up stiff. Her small meltdown over showers and no she didn't always understand these social cues and frankly I just thought the other girls were being bitchy.

People that get this impression that a person with aspergers stays exactly the same as when they were kids have no clue about aspergers. In order to survive in this social world, you have to learn a few things and aspies can learn and do. Whoever the author is, he sure does sound ignorant.

Also, you quoted something OP that came from 2007 and it was just one opinion of some random person who could simply claim to be a psychologist on the internet.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:00 pm

Sparrowrose wrote:
[
Yes. I was on a game show and I got a VHS of my episode and I look totally normal to me. But I was only in the studio on one day and in front of the camera for about 30 minutes and the backstage crew coached me on everything I would be doing and we three contestants were even taken to the sound set before filming and shown where we would stand, rehearsed how we would introduce ourselves, shown where we would walk to and told what cue would indicate that we should walk, etc. Then the show edited out anything that had too much emotion, too much drama, any kind of insult, etc. because they wanted a feel-good, slick product that would make us all look good and make people feel good about watching it.

....... The producers of ANTM could have gone either way with Heather and there's no way that we can know. They could have chosen all the footage that made her look most awkward, most clueless, most anti-social (like sitting out alone on the patio while everyone else hung out together inside or getting totally lost in China (I think it was China)) or they could have chosen all the footage that made her look most competent. It depends on their agenda. Did they think viewers would most enjoy seeing Heather's disability? Or did they think that viewers would most enjoy seeing her be competent in the face of disability? So chances are, either Heather's far more disabled than we saw or she's far less disabled than what we saw. It just depends on the producers' agenda and no one, to my knowledge, has revealed that.

Yes! It's all about the producer's agenda. You have personal experience with this so you really, truly know how much the televised person's image is defined by editing. Skillful editing can make just about anything seem true. Even unskillful editing can define an image.

Like many parents, I practice unskillful editing. Part of being a parent these days involves making videos of your kid. It's fun! And all parents have an agenda when filming (and doing unskillful editing) which is what they want relatives or posterity to see of their kids. Like many parents, I can make a video of my daughter that makes her seem like the most upbeat, happy-go-lucky kid you could ever meet. Every parent has an agenda when they make a video. When I'm filming, if she starts to get overwhelmed by whatever the situation is, I simply turn off the camera. (That's unskillful editing.)

An "expert" who viewed our family video archives might conclude (if they are an idiot or have an agenda of their own) that she is not autistic because she never seems to melt down, become overwhelmed by anything, or have trouble with social interactions. I'm not about to film her having an awkward and unsuccesful social encounter with kids at the playground. That's just mean. (And it doesn't fit my agenda of happy-go-lucky image for posterity). Instead there are clips of her getting piggyback rides from Daddy and sitting in Grandma's lap. How socially appropriate! She must not have autism.

If I can do that merely by declining to film some things and often filming others, imagine what a trained team of professional editors can do!

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:29 pm

Not all people with AS have flat effect or meltdowns. There are varying types and levels of functioning too.

Taking a break.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 8:27 pm

Janissy wrote:
An "expert" who viewed our family video archives might conclude (if they are an idiot or have an agenda of their own) that she is not autistic because she never seems to melt down, become overwhelmed by anything, or have trouble with social interactions. I'm not about to film her having an awkward and unsuccesful social encounter with kids at the playground. That's just mean. (And it doesn't fit my agenda of happy-go-lucky image for posterity). Instead there are clips of her getting piggyback rides from Daddy and sitting in Grandma's lap. How socially appropriate! She must not have autism.

Wow, you're a good parent!

My father (who also has asperger's) used to pull out the camera whenever I had a meltdown or any ugly or unpleasant moment. There is lots of family home film footage and still photographs of how "cute" I was when I was flung on the ground, weeping and pounding my head with my fists. Periodically, dad would pull that kind of footage out, play it and laugh, and seem not to understand why no one else found it amusing.

It wasn't just me who got it. There's a family film where he burst into the bathroom while my mom was on the toilet and started filming her. The footage is of her, furious, unable to get up and stop him, yelling at the camera, obviously very upset. All dad ever had to say about it was that he regretted that he had forgotten to take the outdoor filter off the camera and the footage is unnaturally orange.

Now that I understand asperger's, I understand this behavior of my father's better and forgive him for it. But the scars it left are still there and I absolutely HATE to be photographed, even by someone I trust will make me look as good as possible. It took an amazing amount of courage for me to go on that game show (it was my publisher's idea because it would promote my book) and I turned down several other television opportunities because I watched a couple of episodes and cringed at how the guests were treated.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 12:43 am

flyingkittycat wrote:
I watched that show when Heather was on. I did not get the impression she was misdiagnosed or making it up.

When she went on stage to speak, she couldn't get the words out. She didn't really make dead on eye contact. It appeared to be more like a trick learned where you look at eyebrows and often times when I'm reading lips my family can't tell that I am not looking them in the eyes. The way the other girls treated her. How lost she was in the city. How she froze up while during a model shoot a guy was to hold the model in the air while ice skating and the model was supposed to pose. She froze up stiff. Her small meltdown over showers and no she didn't always understand these social cues and frankly I just thought the other girls were being bitchy.

People that get this impression that a person with aspergers stays exactly the same as when they were kids have no clue about aspergers. In order to survive in this social world, you have to learn a few things and aspies can learn and do. Whoever the author is, he sure does sound ignorant.

Also, you quoted something OP that came from 2007 and it was just one opinion of some random person who could simply claim to be a psychologist on the internet.

Interesting observations. It almost makes me wish I saw the show.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 3:47 am

John_Browning wrote:
flyingkittycat wrote:

Interesting observations. It almost makes me wish I saw the show.

It's available on YouTube. That's where I watched it. I watched the whole season up until when she got voted out and then I didn't bother watching the rest. It was very interesting to watch and I saw many signs of her asperger's.