Intentions: Do they matter to you, yes or no?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Do intentions matter?
Yes. 92%  92%  [ 11 ]
No. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

wecansimplybeourselves
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Sep 2016, 1:15 pm

Do intentions matter and how much? I know some people who think intentions don't even matter because all that matters is behavior. That's ridiculous to me. But what do you guys think? :)

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 3:00 pm

Intentions do matter, but they're not some kind of magic wand that will erase hurt feelings. If you do something hurtful to someone else, you should usually apologize even if you had good intentions.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 4:36 pm

TheAP wrote:
Intentions do matter, but they're not some kind of magic wand that will erase hurt feelings. If you do something hurtful to someone else, you should usually apologize even if you had good intentions.

Very well said. I agree :D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 8:33 am

Intent doesn't matter, except in a legal sense - legal standards in the U.S. of A. recognize degrees of intent when the death of a victim is induced by outside forces, for example. However, if someone gives me a bag full of money, all that matters to me how much money is in the bag, not why they've given it to me.

Are they easing their social conscience for all of the bad things they've done? Okay.

Are they buying me off so that I won't rat them out? Fine.

Are they paying me back (with interest) so that I don't put a lien on their house? Cool!

Are they gifting me with all of their surplus cash? Great!

All that matters to me is that I have a bag full of money that no one else can lay claim to. :D

wecansimplybeourselves

22 Sep 2016, 11:09 am

TheAP wrote:

I agree 100% :)

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

22 Sep 2016, 11:11 am

Of course intent and context matter

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 12:16 pm

TheAP wrote:

Nicely put. :)

This, and if someone does something that affects me negatively, but they have good intentions, I am more likely to forgive them.

wecansimplybeourselves

22 Sep 2016, 2:41 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Of course intent and context matter

WELL SAID!

:D

I love this forum already. Very astute people here :)

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 6:49 pm

they are a factor, and like other factors to a situation they can either outweigh everything else, or can be outweighed by something else. Thus there is no absolute yes or no.