what things do you think SHOULD have been invented

Page 1 of 10 [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

what things do you want somebody to invent?
a perpetual motion machine :bounce: 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
antigravity boots :bounce: 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
noiseless chainsaws :idea: 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
self-tying shoes :idea: 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
a real holodeck :idea: 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
compact warp drive :idea: 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
holographic surround sound in a box :idea: 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
real flying magic carpets :idea: 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
safe personal jetpacks :idea: 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
real hoverboard :idea: 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
calorie-free cholesterol-free fat :chef: 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
a pill that does away with dookie :idea: 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
a brain amplifier :idea: 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
star-trek-style food replicator :chef: 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
machine that kills earthquakes and storms :idea: 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
real androids :idea: 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
intelligent sexbots :bounce: 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
phonograph record optical scanner :idea: 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
machine that automatically heals all disease :idea: 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
portable houses :idea: 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 106

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 3:45 am

what things do you want invented? i'd like a waveform discriminator, please.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 9:07 am

A device that without fail would let me understand and be understood by animals

What's a waveform discriminator?

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 9:34 am

Skilpadde,

I like that one!

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 10:37 am

Teleporting machines that take you to where you want to go

Cat translator

Anti-nuke protective glass domes that prevent nuclear attacks

Cloning machine used to make endangered-to-extinct animals

Weight loss pills with no side effects

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 11:57 am

Pills that cure any disease or ailment with no side effects

A permanent ban on all modern TV and internet commercials

A portable hand-held device that secretly scans a person's face during conversation and and in only a few seconds detects micro expressions and tells me if they are lying and is 110% accurate.

Computers that give whoever tries to use your account or hack into it a mild but painful electrical shock. :twisted:

A secret hand-held device that affects the brainwaves of parents with loud obnoxious children in restaurants, causing them to suddenly decide get take-out and go home instead.

Grafitti-proof paint. When someone tries to spray-paint and vandalize a wall or fence that's covered in this invisible paint, it will automatically fade and disappear.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 1:47 pm

Litter boxes that vaporize waste with lasers after the cat has used it, like in The Sims 4 Cats and Dogs.

Headgear for aspies and autistic people that filters out noise, lights, and odors but is light, comfortable, and looks cool.

Mirrors in stores that show how you will look in new clothes without you having to try them on first in a changing room, including telling you how comfortable you will be in them and if they actually fit. The mirrors cannot be reprogrammed or tampered with by the staff into deceiving the potential buyer, and any attempts to do so will result in the staff receiving a mild but painful electrical shock. :twisted:

Learning pills. You take one and will instantly learn all the things that you would have normally spent years and years being taught in a school. It's permanent, there are no side effects, and it tastes just like delicious candy. Yes, all the teachers would be out of a job, but that would be okay because they would get to spend more time with their own kids, and an invention that wipes out poverty would also exist.

100% painless hypodermic needles, medical and dental procedures. Oh wait, I already mentioned pills that cure everything so I guess we won't be needing that. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 4:52 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
A device that without fail would let me understand and be understood by animals What's a waveform discriminator?

a device that separates a compound audio waveform into its constituent parts, unmixing it as it were. this would allow me to take an old monophonic recording, say from a 78 rpm record, and separate/extract all the musical parts in it and remix them into S*T*E*R*E*O sound. there are digital attempts at this with mixed results.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 4:54 pm

an electrical protective coating on buildings and signs that, if one should try to deface them with graffiti or whatnot, the defacer would get a non-lethal but painful electric shock.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 4:57 pm

wearable air conditioning, or electronic clothing that is just a force field of energy that becomes opaque so people don't see your nekkid body.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 5:06 pm

Some weapons that I'm surprised don't exist:

Sulfuric acid super soakers and or grenades.

Projectile weapons that use magnets rather than explosives. Advantage here--they would probably fire in near complete silence.

Grenades designed to stick to the target in Halo fashion.

EMP weapons (these may actually exist but are being kept secret for now).

Laser weapons (same proviso as EMP weapons).

Note that actual laser weapons would probably be nothing like they are depicted in science fiction--simply a regular gun that fires a laser beam. The only laser weapon in sci fi that actually works the way I think they really would is the Spartan laser in Halo--it actually has a lens rather than a barrel. Also, simply wearing something that is the same color as the beam may be effective as armor.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 5:22 pm

Solar powered zeppilins.

cargo ships that both carry municipal garbage to china for recycling, but also burn some of the trash (instead of coal, or oil) to power the ship on the way across the Pacific to China.

Some kind of robot whale that mimics filter feeding whales in nature, but instead of eating plankton, "eats" plastic waste drifting in the sea. Have a school of them swimming around the gyres of the oceans.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 5:33 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Solar powered zeppilins.

cargo ships that both carry municipal garbage to china for recycling, but also burn some of the trash (instead of coal, or oil) to power the ship on the way across the Pacific to China.

Some kind of robot whale that mimics filter feeding whales in nature, but instead of eating plankton, "eats" plastic waste drifting in the sea. Have a school of them swimming around the gyres of the oceans.

I love your mechanical whale idea. That giant floating trash heap at sea out by Hawaii isn't the only one known.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 6:11 pm

laser weapons have been written about in the literature for the last decade or so, in that the air force has working prototypes, that fit inside large airplanes.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 6:31 pm

auntblabby wrote:
laser weapons have been written about in the literature for the last decade or so, in that the air force has working prototypes, that fit inside large airplanes.

Are we talking artillery scale weapons here? What are they designed to take out? Sounds like an anti missile/aircraft weapon to me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 6:33 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Are we talking artillery scale weapons here? What are they designed to take out? Sounds like an anti missile/aircraft weapon to me.

yes, it is industrial-scale for sure. also in the works are laser weapons that are shoulderable, but they so far need a backpack power supply that are potentially quite hazardous.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Apr 2018, 7:33 pm

Tolerance of opposing political views & opposing religious views

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition