Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 3:26 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
They join a forum using a username of a character and pretending to be that character.

Recently there were a couple of trolls who pretended to be the main characters from the movie Avatar. I thought they were actually kind of funny.

Yeah, I don't see how that's trolling TBH. :?

Because they are pretending to be something they are not. Another part of trolling is making up stories to gain sympathy or attention or pretending to be something you're not and that includes being a movie or TV characters.

Trolling doesn't always involve provoking people and trying to start drama by riling people up or creating multiple accounts just to have an argument with yourself to start a drama. Trolling can also mean playing dumb or pretending to have hurt feelings or pretending to be offended. I have heard of a few members here who mess with the mods by playing dumb and pretending they don't get stuff nor understand things. Same as pretending to not understand what's going on just to mess with the mods and the members here. I suspect someone here was that but I am not sure, either she was a troll or she is that clueless in her actions. Sometimes it's hard to tell if someone is a troll or not or if they just have problems. I can easily be mistaken for a troll.

There is friendly trolling and bad trolling. Friendly trolling is just pretending to be a character out of a movie or TV and what Ferdinand was doing in this section. It doesn't hurt anyone nor cause trouble.
can i be a troll if i sympathize with my avatar and well i find it kinda funny if someone posts a threat about after life or someting and i make comment on that :lol:

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 8:33 pm

you know some- one a troll when they constantly criticize other people post :roll: mmmmmmmm

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 6:48 am

you know when someones a troll when they intentional disagree with your or try to start some sort of flame war on the forum..

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 7:34 am

ProfessorX wrote:
you know when someones a troll when they intentional disagree with your or try to start some sort of flame war on the forum..

I disagree. :P

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 9:38 am

You know someone's a troll when they talk about sexual acts in an obvious attempt to offend. :?

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 10:06 am

Someone with 1-10 posts who starts an inflammatory thread about the relationship between Asperger's syndrome and political affiliation could easily be a troll.

I used to troll a little in Politics, Philosophy, and Religion, taking a position that I didn't really hold just to see how people would react. It was more playful than inflammatory, but I did get accused of being "all over the place." Nowadays I stay away from PPR because I've developed a dislike of conflict.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 10:17 am

You know someones a troll when they see something different about you and then start creating controversy topics directly/indirectly at you.

Cheeseroyale34
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jul 2010, 10:25 am

You know someone's a troll if they hold a position that is controversial, yet never seem to justify or explain it, and spout it to create controversy.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 11:29 am

You know someone is a troll when they do a accusation on you and don't even back up their claim or even explain to you how they got that idea by giving you examples of what they have seen by you.

You know someone is a troll if they claim you are lying so they do everything they can to prove you are lying when you aren't even lying and they don't even back off.

You know someone is a troll when they keep picking fights with people they can't stand or whom they don't like and post spam to their posts like "U MAD"

You know someone is a troll when they try and slander you by taking things you say out of context and posting them elsewhere to make it look like that is what you claimed or finding photos of you and taking them out of context and posting them elsewhere claiming it's about something else.

You know someone is a troll when they make gossip videos about people saying bad things about them and making fun of them and posting them on youtube.

You know someone is a troll when they make stuff up about someone or you.

You know someone is a troll when they post stuff in your thread or to your posts just to get you mad.

You know someone is a troll when they keep replying to threads they don't like and whining about it. :roll:

You know someone is a troll when they call you a troll when you aren't even being one. :lol: (I didn't make that one up)

You know someone is a troll when they keep sending you emails saying things that are irrelevant to your discussion when they have already said they have better things to do than dealing with that nonsense but yet they keep sending you emails fighting with you and insulting you being nasty and saying things that are irrelevant.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 5:34 pm

you know someone is a troll when they start up replies which have the intent of causing you to get pissed off though, the other party gets a big laugh out of seeing you lose your control..* This actually happened to me many years ago when I was on imdb..I have returned to that site after 7yrs but, I no longer post there rather read the posts..

2nd, if I may sincerely ask, I hope I'm not a troll unto anyone here? Just being straightforward and honest :!:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 8:29 pm

You know someone is a troll when they make a post saying they are looking for another woman for love and to email him if interested. You email him and get a nasty reply instead. That actually happened on IMDB too and this man claimed to have AS and he was looking for an aspie girl so I emailed him and he sent me two nasty replies. I thought then troll because why would he send me a nasty reply? He said to email him if interested so I did but because I didn't follow his standards he sent me a nasty one and what does he expect from another aspie? Why would an aspie be rude to another aspie if their email was crappy because of their poor social skills? l think he just wanted to send women mean replies and get a reaction from them. Plus I have seen his aspie affection profile and it does spell out troll because of what he has in it.

Last edited by League_Girl on 16 Jul 2010, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 9:04 pm

League_Girl, I found reading of your experience most unpleasant, though I'm glad that you were able to not have become aligned with someone whom more or less seems to have anger issues most definately..
Well, the only use of imdb for me is to constantly update & add movies to my ever growing database which, if I'm correct now stands at 1,200 films & tv shows..

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 7:15 pm

they see a new user with a strange name in the claim the person trolling. :lol: :lol:

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 7:28 pm

My #1 rule on trolls, do not respond or call one a troll in a thread, just report the troll too a moderator
Same rule applies to sock puppets

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 11:02 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:
My #1 rule on trolls, do not respond or call one a troll in a thread, just report the troll too a moderator
Same rule applies to sock puppets

That is actually the rule they have here but I dunno about calling people sock puppets.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 11:17 pm

What's the difference between a troll and a sock puppet?