Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Do you think that we could evolve into Earth Aliens?
yes 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
no 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
maybe 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Go back to the 60s, have a cup of tea, and listen to The Kinks. 50%  50%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 14

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 10:24 am

Do you think that humans will evolve into Earth Aliens, over the next 2000 years? I think that it could be possible. There was a baby alien born in Asia, 2 years ago. What do the rest of you think?

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 10:30 am

Anything could possibly happen in the next 2000 years, maybe they might look like avatar?
We only hope for what happens in the future but we won't be alive for that long to be able to see.

Maybe Aliens might invade the earth, maybe we might move to the moon or another planet. :lol:

This my friend is WrongPlanet. :lol:

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 11:02 am

No. Evolution doesn't work like that. Nor does the noun "Alien".
A few reasons why this won't happen:
1. 2000 years is a very short time in evolutionary terms. Humans don't look much different now than they did 2000 years ago. Evolution through natural selection is a slow process. The only thing that's happened, pretty much, is the average height has gotten slightly taller and the life expectancy of the average human has gotten a bit longer, mostly due to medical advances.
2. There are too many humans for natural selection to have much impact on us at this point. Mutation happens in individuals, not in species. In order for one mutation to become dominant in a species, conditions would have to change to the point where everyone without that mutation would die, and then the offspring of the person with the mutation would have to re-populate the earth, which would take a very long time. It's just not realistic. We're pretty much stuck where we are, evolutionarily, at this point, because we are so many. (And I, for one, do not condone genocide.)
3. The noun "Alien" refers to something from elsewhere. There's no such thing as evolving into aliens, because "aliens" means "things from somewhere else". The only way for humans to become aliens is by moving, not by evolving.

I think the only way for the entirety of the human race to evolve at this point would be if all heterosexual intercourse became illegal and punishable by instant death through a chip in the brain, and genetic engineering became mandatory in every insemination in the entire world, and that'll never happen, nor should it.
Science fiction, basically.

eagletalon86
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2010, 11:13 am

Go back to the 60s, have a cup of tea, and listen to the Kinks.....just kidding :)

Maybe more of a shift in societal aspects, but I don't see the human race physically evolving if that's what you mean.

Last edited by eagletalon86 on 04 Jul 2010, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 12:04 pm

Vince wrote:
1. 2000 years is a very short time in evolutionary terms.

Which does require the huge caveat "for humans, and with conditions as they presently are."
Quote:
2. There are too many humans for natural selection to have much impact on us at this point. Mutation happens in individuals, not in species. In order for one mutation to become dominant in a species, conditions would have to change to the point where everyone without that mutation would die, and then the offspring of the person with the mutation would have to re-populate the earth, which would take a very long time.

You just need something that provides a significant advantage - that doesn't necessarily mean anyone extra has to die, just that some people live (and reproduce) more often. Different things could spread in different places, which would be interesting. Say compare something that would reduce the chances of dying from heart attack, to something that would reduce the chances of dying from AIDS, or cholera, or whatever; they'd spread at different rates relative to their usefulness in particular areas.
Quote:
3. The noun "Alien" refers to something from elsewhere. There's no such thing as evolving into aliens, because "aliens" means "things from somewhere else".

When we get to Mars, we become aliens. "From a certain point of view." :lol:

The year is still young.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 12:16 pm

what is an Earth alien?

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 12:56 pm

I think we did not evolve from aliens directly. I believe aliens landed here before their was any life on the planet. They collected some soil and rock samples then went home. Before they left the planet they emptied their ship's septic tanks before taking off and here we are today. Evolved from bacteria from an alien's left behind bowel movements. :P

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 5:52 pm

sarek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jul 2010, 6:33 am

We wont evolve by the natural way but we can basically become anything that is physically possible.

Check out orionsarm for lots of interesting variations: orionsarm

What beyond reality