Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 953

19 Jul 2010, 11:45 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Just about everything is demeaning to women. We haven't broken free of the ingrained misogynistic mentality of our society, yet.

Yeah yeah :roll: It's only helped me so far, to be honest. The Old Spice guy is awesome.


_________________
"If you look deeply emough into any person's soul, you can see the emu within them struggling to get out. Actually, most people don't have emus in their soul. Just me." - Invisible Dave, Lady of Emus


Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,287
Location: At my workbench

19 Jul 2010, 11:47 pm

Oh my frickin hell. Deodorant ads are getting downright disgusting lately. Any chance of me ever considering buying Axe have gone down the toilet.

The ones with 'sweat' spraying out of people originally did it, but this one just reinforces it. GROSS.

Is this how men retaliate against feminine hygiene commercials? Because it's just as bad. Perhaps maybe even worse.


Just think. The technology that lit the world, then bridged the oceans, and eventually ended up putting us on the moon, has culminated in the ability for some marketing idiot's dream of a huge armpit to come true. Sometimes I wish high technology was not so readily available. Turn on the TV and marvel at the hole we've dug for ourselves. I try to boycott most products that use moronic advertising. I wish others would, too, because that is the only way to defeat advertising like this.



RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 May 2006
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,879
Location: Ohio

20 Jul 2010, 12:46 am

Blasty wrote:
I try to boycott most products that use moronic advertising.


I'm not so sure this is moronic advertising. Oh sure, it's not a nice ad, and the overwhelming reaction here in negative, but we're talking about it. Axe is one of the very few products in that general subject that I can name, and I can recall multiple commercials they've made. It doesn't make me want to buy the product, but like most people, I'll go for a name I know if I need to buy it.

Incidentally, I interpreted it slightly differently, it appears. I saw it as the women were so attracted to the smell of Axe that that's the only thing they noticed (and since it's hard to illustrate a smell, using an armpit where it goes works).


_________________
"Nothing worth having is easy."

Three years!


TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jul 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 29,539
Location: California

20 Jul 2010, 12:59 am

RainSong wrote:
Blasty wrote:
I try to boycott most products that use moronic advertising.


I'm not so sure this is moronic advertising. Oh sure, it's not a nice ad, and the overwhelming reaction here in negative, but we're talking about it. Axe is one of the very few products in that general subject that I can name, and I can recall multiple commercials they've made. It doesn't make me want to buy the product, but like most people, I'll go for a name I know if I need to buy it.

Incidentally, I interpreted it slightly differently, it appears. I saw it as the women were so attracted to the smell of Axe that that's the only thing they noticed (and since it's hard to illustrate a smell, using an armpit where it goes works).


That's how I interpreted it, as well. It's still sexist.

I also agree that it's not moronic advertising. The goal for advertising has shifted from making you want to buy the product to making you remember the product. I've been guilty of going to for product with the most annoying commercials simply because I knew the name. We all do it, whether we admit it or not.

I wouldn't buy AXE, though. I hate the smell.


_________________
Still looking for that blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I've ever seen.


TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jul 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 29,539
Location: California

20 Jul 2010, 1:01 am

book_noodles wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Just about everything is demeaning to women. We haven't broken free of the ingrained misogynistic mentality of our society, yet.

Yeah yeah :roll: It's only helped me so far, to be honest. The Old Spice guy is awesome.


Gender roles and sexism is an interest of mine, but even I slip up and don't always realize something is degrading. It's just so ingrained that we can't always step back and see it for what it is. lol


_________________
Still looking for that blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I've ever seen.


Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,287
Location: At my workbench

20 Jul 2010, 2:03 am

Seriously? You two don't find commercials like this downright insulting to our intelligence? If this doesn't fall under the category of moronic anymore, I am deeply disappointed in our culture. Especially if this crap is working as well as it appears.

Yeah, commercials like this do make me remember. I remember NOT to buy that product because: 1) Their ploy will have worked, and 2: I will have given them money to make more of that dreck.

I often get so frustrated at the constant bombardment by this lowest of sludge from the mass media's toilet that I simply quit watching my shows and have to go do something else. I wish people would to start noticing that TV sucks. Take a break from the garbage and just download your shows. A crime, my ass. If you have cable, you're just paying to have your shows cut and half your watching time eaten away by ads. That's theft.

And hey, if you want to get on the sexist thing, how about the endless supply of commercials that make men out to be bumbling, helpless idiots until the woman comes in to save the day.



TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jul 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 29,539
Location: California

20 Jul 2010, 11:21 am

Of course they're moronic. I'm just saying the marketing strategy has worked because we are talking about the product and remember it.


_________________
Still looking for that blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I've ever seen.


book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 953

20 Jul 2010, 12:00 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
book_noodles wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Just about everything is demeaning to women. We haven't broken free of the ingrained misogynistic mentality of our society, yet.

Yeah yeah :roll: It's only helped me so far, to be honest. The Old Spice guy is awesome.


Gender roles and sexism is an interest of mine, but even I slip up and don't always realize something is degrading. It's just so ingrained that we can't always step back and see it for what it is. lol

Have you read When Everything Changed- The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present by Gail Collins, who is an Opinion/Editorial columnist for the New York Times? I think you might like it.


_________________
"If you look deeply emough into any person's soul, you can see the emu within them struggling to get out. Actually, most people don't have emus in their soul. Just me." - Invisible Dave, Lady of Emus


TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jul 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 29,539
Location: California

20 Jul 2010, 12:05 pm

book_noodles wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
book_noodles wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Just about everything is demeaning to women. We haven't broken free of the ingrained misogynistic mentality of our society, yet.

Yeah yeah :roll: It's only helped me so far, to be honest. The Old Spice guy is awesome.


Gender roles and sexism is an interest of mine, but even I slip up and don't always realize something is degrading. It's just so ingrained that we can't always step back and see it for what it is. lol

Have you read When Everything Changed- The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present by Gail Collins, who is an Opinion/Editorial columnist for the New York Times? I think you might like it.


I don't think I have. Sounds interesting.


_________________
Still looking for that blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I've ever seen.