The written word, vanishing before our very eyes.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 5:50 am

I lurve the internet (obviously) but I am very sad that it has contributed to the demise of newspapers, magazines, and the quality of publications in general.

I just love the tactile aspect of reading, have always been obsessed with it since I learned how to read. i love newspapers, just love the tradition of them and the way the information is presented.

MAGAZINES have always been a special interest for me. I still like to go the library sometimes and look at old magazines, they also have publications like the Ladie's home Journal dating as far back as 1898 ^_^. I especially love the advertisements, but that is also a seperate interest of mine.

BUMMER that it all has to die. I know, I know. Blogs, Ezines *shudder*, websites. It just isn't the same lol.

Last edited by MotownDangerPants on 28 Jul 2010, 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 5:55 am

AND DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THOSE GOD FORSAKEN IPOD WANNABE READING CONTRAPTIONS THAT YOU KIDS USE TO RELAY LITERATURE TO YOUR BRAINS.

xD.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jul 2010, 6:49 am

I can identify with this, though the "pain" of it is already a little in the past because I have since found so much on the internet, like Wrong Planet, Gluten Free and Beyond, and other forums, plus huge amounts of up to date research on diet and mental health, astrology articles/databases, imdb, ( the internet movie database ), and google maps, etc to replace the loss. But what I noticed first, and was saddened by, was the way that the film magazines that I used to love, and hoard/collect, were becoming less and less substantial, the photos less interesting, the articles and reviews more and more perfunctory. I can find far more info online now, about films, directors, etc, but I can't "store" the articles/pictures, etc and disappear into/meditate on them, in the same way. House interiors and decoration magazines still seem to be going strong though, ( I like them for the fly on the wall experience I get of other people's houses, so alien to me! ), if anything better than before, the photos more and more exquisite, rather like book illustration, which has become increasingly "soigné" with the infinite amount of correction, elaboration, meticulous colour work, etc which computer-based graphic programmes permit.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 7:14 am

There are a lot of good magazines out there still.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 7:18 am

Ferdinand wrote:

I think they got rid of Mental Floss. Or it's just only being distributed from like 2 bookstores in my area, it used to be at the grocery store D:

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 7:20 am

MotownDangerPants wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:

I think they got rid of Mental Floss. Or it's just only being distributed from like 2 bookstores in my area, it used to be at the grocery store D:

There's like, every magazine on everything. I should get a lot. They are now my special interest.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 7:24 am

Ferdinand wrote:
MotownDangerPants wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:

There's like, every magazine on everything. I should get a lot. They are now my special interest.

DAMN YOU, YOUNG'UN!. lol you have no idea. We had SO many more magazines 10 years ago. Magazine about DIRT. MagazInes about magazines. Magazines about there not being enough magazines.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 7:29 am

I want to get dog fancy.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 7:32 am

Ferdinand wrote:
I want to get dog fancy.

lol YOU SHOULD.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 7:33 am

MotownDangerPants wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:
I want to get dog fancy.

lol YOU SHOULD.

MotownDangerPants Fancy.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jul 2010, 7:40 am

There was this store, when I lived in PA, that I loved to go in. It was called Book Bargains. Inside, was a veritable treasure house of used books, both hardcover and paperback. Best of all, there were vintage magazines, from as far back as the 1930's. It was a real treat, to look at the hairstyles and fashions of yesteryear, and read the articles. It gave me a nostalgic pang, to see these things. I really miss that store, and haven't seen anything like since moving to Florida. :(

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 7:44 am

Sisterhood of the traveling MotownDangerPants.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 8:19 am

Ferdinand wrote:
Sisterhood of the traveling MotownDangerPants.

lmaoooo

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 8:23 am

The Dark MotownDangerPants.

MotownDangerPants Eastwood.

MotownDangerPants Story 3.

Kill MotownDangerPants: Volume 1 and 2

The 40-year-old Motowndangerpants

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 11:05 am

I've been waiting for a newspaper made of electronic paper for years. You'd buy it once, and the day's news would be uploaded to it each morning. It'd be the best of both worlds.