So...Iguana/ Lizard Service animal

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 11:49 pm

I know I read one of you were using your iguana/lizard as a service pet. My dad just told me about someone else doing the same! 8O http://www.wboc.com/Global/story.asp?S=12900768

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 11:52 pm

the article makes it sound more like he just registered it as a service animal as a way to get around the ban :lol: .

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 12:01 am

I would like a service siberian tiger 8)

I once read about someone with a service donkey, that was cool.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 12:13 am

blue_bean wrote:
I would like a service siberian tiger 8)

I once read about someone with a service donkey, that was cool.

or one of those miniature horses that are like the size of a large dog would be cool

MechAnime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 1:17 am

Seanmw wrote:
the article makes it sound more like he just registered it as a service animal as a way to get around the ban :lol: .

I got that, too. Reptiles are banned unfairly in many areas though, and often fueled by ignorance and irrational fear. I'm not even talking about larger snakes (such as 17 foot+ Burmese pythons), but medium sized, non-venomous ones and other harmless reptiles as well.

Iguanas are some of the most neglected reptiles, though, and the reptile community hates to see them being sold in pet stores (they are often wild caught, unlike most snakes who are usually captive bred, which the community encourages). I was involved in reptile adoption services for years, and iguanas are one of the most common reptiles that end up needing a new home. Many go through several homes.

Quote:
"You know it's like a cat," he said. "You put a cat on your lap and you pet it. It makes you feel good. There's a whole range of disabilities that allows you to do this."

A lot of Iguanas tend to get attached, and are loyal to, one person (some can accept more than one person into their heart). Everybody else but their one human friend can be detestable to them, and it shows. :lol:

Knowing how attached an iguana can be to one person, I'm sure it's a very rewarding relationship for this man. The iguana is lucky to have him, too.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 1:33 am

Iguanas are really cool, but I would love to have a bearded dragon. I had one for a while, and I loved him.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 1:49 am

I used to have an iguana and they are stupid as hell so the best it would be good for is as a buddy. As for the ban on iguanas, it should be grandfathered under ex post facto laws.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

MechAnime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 2:00 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Iguanas are really cool, but I would love to have a bearded dragon. I had one for a while, and I loved him.

A beardie can be quite the entertaining critter. I've kept mostly snakes, but have met/handled/watched many a beardie and they don't lack character at all. Expressive, and very dignified-like.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 2:05 am

MechAnime wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

A beardie can be quite the entertaining critter. I've kept mostly snakes, but have met/handled/watched many a beardie and they don't lack character at all. Expressive, and very dignified-like.

I owned a snake once. It was very briefly, and it was a small one. I can't remember what type it was, but I know it was black with yellow stripes down it's back. The thing bit me. :-(

I much prefer the medium snakes with less of a temper.

Too bad my husband is completely against owning any reptiles.

MechAnime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 2:19 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
MechAnime wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

I owned a snake once. It was very briefly, and it was a small one. I can't remember what type it was, but I know it was black with yellow stripes down it's back. The thing bit me. :-(

I much prefer the medium snakes with less of a temper.

Too bad my husband is completely against owning any reptiles.

:lol:

I can't tell you how many times I've been bitten by snakes. But then we had just under 100 in the house at one time for 10 months, plus we've had many different species over the years.

Some of the worst biters are medium snakes. :wink:
Bites don't bother me though, not even the one I received from a hognose on my hand, which are mildly venomous. I felt swelling right up to my armpit and the top of my hand was one huge blister. I was fascinated by the process. Then on day 3 it just disappeared without a trace (just the bite mark was left).

We used Ball pythons (they rarely exceed 5 feet) to help ophidiophobes get over their fear, as they look like a shy, ear-less puppy dog. They worked more often than not for quelling fears, or getting over that first "hump". Most captive bred ball pythons are very docile, and rarely are they biters.

Corn snakes are also known for their docility. I love kingsnakes, and some are very docile, such as my first one, who was the the most awesome snake I've ever known. But other kings only think with their stomach, so yeah, avoid those. :lol:

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 2:22 am

I don't mind medium sized snake bites. The small ones just freak me out. lol That may have been why he bit me in the first place.

MechAnime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 2:44 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I don't mind medium sized snake bites. The small ones just freak me out. lol That may have been why he bit me in the first place.

Small snakes do tend to be more defensive (many things can be potential predators), and especially hatchling snakes. To me, it's funny as hell when you have a whole litter of little shoe strings that think they can take you on! They can still make me jump though! This is one reason why I suggest a juvenile or adult snake for "newbie" snake keepers - that, and feeding issues aren't usually a problem and their true adult personalities are easier to gauge.

I think a special interest of mine is showing here... :lol:
Oh well, wth. It's my last tidbit here before heading off, hope it was helpful anyway.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 3:01 am

MechAnime wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

Small snakes do tend to be more defensive (many things can be potential predators), and especially hatchling snakes. To me, it's funny as hell when you have a whole litter of little shoe strings that think they can take you on! They can still make me jump though! This is one reason why I suggest a juvenile or adult snake for "newbie" snake keepers - that, and feeding issues aren't usually a problem and their true adult personalities are easier to gauge.

I think a special interest of mine is showing here... :lol:
Oh well, wth. It's my last tidbit here before heading off, hope it was helpful anyway.

Just don't get me started on insects and tarantulas... haha

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 6:36 am

A service cat, would be very cool to have. 8)

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 10:59 am

I have 3 of those. I bet I could convince my children to let one go... lol

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 1:45 pm

our lizard does nowt for us :(