Maybe 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 42

KnucklesUK
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Aug 2010, 8:29 am

Ferdinand wrote:
KnucklesUK wrote:
Who's to say that many alien races don't look exactly like humans? Or at least share similar traits.

They've most likely evolved in a completely different environment.
I agree, but I believe most alien inteligent life is mostly like humans, but have differences because of enviroment etc.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 9:00 am

KnucklesUK wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:
KnucklesUK wrote:
Who's to say that many alien races don't look exactly like humans? Or at least share similar traits.

They've most likely evolved in a completely different environment.
I agree, but I believe most alien inteligent life is mostly like humans, but have differences because of enviroment etc.

Like what? Foreheads and ears?

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 11:08 am

long story. but i saw them they took me one night to my kitchen

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 12:21 pm

ColdBlooded wrote:
Yes. I think that with how vast the universe is it's most likely that there is other life existing somewhere.. Possibly even "life" that we wouldn't even recognize as life right away because of how different it is... Like, maybe it isn't carbon-based, doesn't have DNA, and functions completely differently than any life we know of on earth.

But do i believe in... uhh.. Area 51, government coverup conspiracies, blahblahblah....? NO.

There's possible arsenic life at Mono lake in California.

Also, although I am a skeptic, I am open to the possibility that aliens are already visiting us. It's not impossible, only improbable. However I think the conspiracy crap is BS. If aliens are indeed here, I think they are simply observing, and don't intend to interfere with our evolution whatsoever. The only reason why I think this is because I have seen on one occasion, something in the sky I could not explain. I have seen satellites in the night sky twice, meteors entering the atmosphere or bursting in the atmosphere many, many times, at least one comet, and aircraft pass over my house all the time, but this was different. I don't want to write the story down, as I have done so about twice on WP and I'm lazy. Additionally, about 10 to 20 percent of the UFO reports come from people who most likely did not make anything up.

I might go into astrobiology in college rather than marine biology, I'm still deciding. I've recently gotten into astronomy and cosmology quite obsessively, but I'm best at biology, so maybe I can try to become an astrobiologist.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 12:25 pm

Ferdinand wrote:
Descartes wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:
My mother is Irish, but I don't think that is a race.

Being Irish is a nationality.

The more you know... :wink:

My mother is an Irish alien. Muhaha.

I'm sorry Ferdi, but we're going to have to set you on fire. Irish people aren't allowed on here.

KnucklesUK

07 Aug 2010, 12:27 pm

ShenLong wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:
Descartes wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:

I'm sorry Ferdi, but we're going to have to set you on fire. Irish people aren't allowed on here.
She should be pretty flammable, huh? :P

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 12:28 pm

KnucklesUK wrote:
ShenLong wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:
Descartes wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:

Ferdinand's a he. lol

KnucklesUK

07 Aug 2010, 1:52 pm

ShenLong wrote:
KnucklesUK wrote:
ShenLong wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:
Descartes wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:

Ferdinand's a he. lol
Well "he" said is "mother" is Irish. :P

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 1:58 pm

Are you saying she's flammable because of alcohol? LOL.

KnucklesUK

07 Aug 2010, 2:01 pm

Ferdinand wrote:
Are you saying she's flammable because of alcohol? LOL.
Yeah. :P

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2010, 2:10 pm

I have no doubt there is life throughout the universe, and some of it is bound to be intelligent. That doesn't mean I subscribe to the idea of flying saucers and alien abductions though.

Funny thought I had the other day though.... people who claim to have been abducted by aliens are usually rednecks, or just nutjobs of a different variety. Well, what if that is why they were returned? The aliens keep the smart people and return the whack jobs.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 3:33 pm

KnucklesUK wrote:
I sure do, I don't believe that we can be the only inteligent life form out in the entire universe, which consists of thousands of galaxies etc.

There's thousands of distinct galaxies in the Hubble Deep Field (basically Hubble pointed at a very, very small section of sky looking as hard as possible) alone. :) The total number of galaxies in the observable universe is usually reckoned to be in the hundreds of billions. It's not possible to say for certain (and it depends what you count - there's a lot of dwarf galaxies around in addition to the biggies like Andromeda or the Milky Way) but it's certainly a very, very large number.

Though it doesn't really tell us anything, other than that if we are to be alone the probability of life arising must be very small - but it's plausible to suppose that life depends on something with a tiny probability, so we just don't know.

It's my belief (and fervent hope, because it's far more interesting than an empty universe) that there's plenty of life out there, because it's my belief that the probability of life arising isn't small - but at present it's only a belief. If we find evidence of life on Mars or Callisto (moon of Jupiter, it's possibly got liquid water oceans under the surface) or anywhere else in the Solar System, the odds of finding life throughout the universe change from "we don't know" to "pretty damn certain."

The year is still young.

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2010, 5:54 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
KnucklesUK wrote:
I sure do, I don't believe that we can be the only inteligent life form out in the entire universe, which consists of thousands of galaxies etc.

There's thousands of distinct galaxies in the Hubble Deep Field (basically Hubble pointed at a very, very small section of sky looking as hard as possible) alone. :) The total number of galaxies in the observable universe is usually reckoned to be in the hundreds of billions. It's not possible to say for certain (and it depends what you count - there's a lot of dwarf galaxies around in addition to the biggies like Andromeda or the Milky Way) but it's certainly a very, very large number.

Though it doesn't really tell us anything, other than that if we are to be alone the probability of life arising must be very small - but it's plausible to suppose that life depends on something with a tiny probability, so we just don't know.

It's my belief (and fervent hope, because it's far more interesting than an empty universe) that there's plenty of life out there, because it's my belief that the probability of life arising isn't small - but at present it's only a belief. If we find evidence of life on Mars or Callisto (moon of Jupiter, it's possibly got liquid water oceans under the surface) or anywhere else in the Solar System, the odds of finding life throughout the universe change from "we don't know" to "pretty damn certain."

You're thinking of Europa, it is more likely to have the liquid water ocean under it's surface, since it experiences considerable tidal heating, while Callisto does not. Though they do suspect that Callisto might also have a sub surface ocean, they're not as interested in exploring it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_Jup ... em_Mission

Also, they should be looking on Titan, largest moon of Saturn. It has a dense nitrogen atmosphere and liquid methane on the surface.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 6:02 pm

lol illegal aliens

Anyways, yeah.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 7:37 pm

Humans,

Of course aliens exist. You just haven't detected us yet.

Love,
<-------

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 7:49 pm

i believe there might be intelligent life somewhere out there.

but i don't believe in that flying saucers/little green men stuff.