Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Midna
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2010, 3:59 pm

They are building one near my subdivision soon and it should done by December. What do you think of them?

I think it's cool becuase you don't have to wait for green lights and your not wasting gas and spreading extra pollution. The only thing I don't like about them is, the ones with multiple lanes, I'm afraid of side swiping a car who's in another lane or them hitting my car.

There's only one other in Nova Scotia so far that I know of in Halifax, only been on it once.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 4:22 pm

I think that they're pretty to look at, but I imagine that they must be a pain, to drive around.

Midna
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2010, 4:25 pm

It took me awhile to get used to the Armdale Rotary in halifax becuase halfway through it, 2 more lanes are added to it to get to specific places. It's attacted to 5 or 6 roads and I drive through there every now and then. First few times when I tried to go back the way I came, I kept getting in the wrong lane and went on the wrong roads, but it's ok now.

Here's a link to the webcam:
http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/halifa ... z0vrbJcYq3

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 12:36 pm

They are becoming pretty common here in Wisconsin and for the most part, seem to be working very well.

The two-laner at the east end of the recently rebuilt College Ave Fox River bridge here in Appleton, WI has proven to be the ideal solution for that intersection.

The main thing is the learning curve for those not familiar with them - mainly the detail that that red thing at the entrance is a YIELD sign and not a STOP sign. If there is no conflicting traffic already in the circle, you keep going, slowing up just enough to safely make the turns.

Mike

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 1:20 pm

i go well out of my way to avoid the infernal things. i bank in another town to avoid the one in a closer town. there is no bypass for this town's roundabout, one has to go through the damned thing to get to the bank, so byby to this town.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 3:30 pm

I first saw them in Mexico even before I was old enough to drive, and they seemed chaotic. Today, however, I do not like them because people who did/do not always stop at stop signs now do not seem to even bother with slowing down.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 4:09 pm

They are everywhere in the UK. Everywhere. Practically every road and junction is a roundabout.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 4:20 pm

I live in milton keynes and there is a roundabout on the corner of every street!! ! I think the town was made by an aspie with a special interest in roundabouts!

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 4:23 pm

That's weird, because I always assumed the UK's roundabouts were due to the mish-mash of pre-existing roads coming together as cities grew without any planning being involved. But Milton Keynes was a purposefully built new town, so why did they add in so many roundabouts?

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 4:26 pm

Random fact

My home town contains the first roundabout ever built.

+10 cool points for hertfordshire

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 4:31 pm

KaiG wrote:
That's weird, because I always assumed the UK's roundabouts were due to the mish-mash of pre-existing roads coming together as cities grew without any planning being involved. But Milton Keynes was a purposefully built new town, so why did they add in so many roundabouts?

I think it was because they were the new thing when it was built and I presume it was before trafic lights were popular. Its an extremely odd town, Ive never seen one like it before. All the roads are in parralel lines with roundabouts at the joins. The virtical roads are called v1, v2 etc and the horizontal roads are called h1, h2 etc, so defiantely an aspie who thought numbers were more memorable than street names!

there maybe more info in the wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Keynes

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 5:08 pm

Another New Town full of roundabouts is East Kilbride.Despite being only half the size of Milton Keynes,it still has over 50 roundabouts.
I got diverted through the town once and got hopelessly lost.

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 5:19 pm

And another +10 to Hertfordshire for having this, in Hemel Hempstead:

google map

Last edited by polarity on 07 Aug 2010, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 5:59 pm

I can't express enough how much I HATE them. :x

I haven't done them in so long, thankfully. Out of the few times I've done them, I've probably gotten close to an accident once or twice.

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2010, 6:24 pm

First thing I thought of when seeing this topic was Star Trek Deep Space 9, because they call their shuttle craft "runabouts." Not the same, I know, but close enough.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 7:36 pm

That would never work where I live. People have enough trouble with illegal lane changes and obeying the traffic signals as it is.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud