Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:53 pm

For those interested, I spent most of my day yesterday at Brickfair near DC. Here's a few photos that I took at the event(I took about 200 photos, but I'm showing a few of things i liked)

I really liked this cathedral. The maker put a lot detail into it, including statue mini-figs and gargoyles.

This town set-up had a lot nice things going for it. Besides the obvious Marshmallow Man, it has the Ghostbusters on top of the building.

A different town set-up with skyscrapers. It's neat to look closely and pick out all the scenes set-up with the mini-figs. I could probably have spent a week here picking out all the details in all the set-ups. This one has an Indiana Jones scene on one rooftop.

Close up shot of a Batman mini-fig I spotted. Changed the colors obviously. :)

This model of the Normandy SR-1 from Mass Effect was just so cool to see. You also see a Battlestar Galactica hangar with Vipers here too.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:53 pm

This model of Boeing 777 was one of the main attractions at the show. It has 110,000 pieces and took two years to build.

I liked this Lego DC Metro Train. Just had to try for a panning shot on it.

This Air Turbine generator model and the cranes beside it were another showpiece item. These things were huge. I know the cranes are completely visible here but they were about 18-20 feet high.

The other big showpiece at the event was the giant automated chessboard. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take any good photos of it as it was constantly surrounded by people. I got to watch it work though. It plays chess on a giant chessboard with robots serving as each chess piece. It's works, but it's really slow and actually kind of boring.

Besides those, there was tons of other scene set-ups, models of various subjects(one table devoted to entirely to military models), lego robotics(Mindstorms mainly), and artworks. Lots and lots of neat stuff there.
I wouldn't mind making some models myself of things in Lego. I used to do when I was lot younger but amassing the amount of bricks to make good models is kind of expensive.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 12:03 am

ooh I'm jealous, lego is awesome. The coolest lego structure I've seen in person was a life-size Egyptian sarcophagus at a mall one time.

I especially love the Marshmallow Man, and the Boeing 777 is amazing! Are you saying that those cranes are made of lego as well? Because that is just too cool.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 12:16 am

Those are really cool pictures. I remember playing with Lego, when I was a little kid. If I lived in a house, big enough, I would be building stuff, like that. :cool:

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 12:18 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Those are really cool pictures. I remember playing with Lego, when I was a little kid. If I lived in a house, big enough, I would be building stuff, like that. :cool:

Build one out of lego! :D

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 10:34 am

SamwiseGamgee wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

It's been done.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIwr-dyIsn8[/youtube]

Someone had a little Lego model of the Lego house at the show. :)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 12:14 pm

Building with Legos is truly an art form.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 12:48 pm

Zara wrote:
SamwiseGamgee wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

It's been done.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIwr-dyIsn8[/youtube]

Someone had a little Lego model of the Lego house at the show. :)

Oh my god, that's incredible! I can't even imagine the amount of legos needed for that, or the man hours to design and build it.