miserylovescompany
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 6:05 pm

Here's the two new additions to our family:

Kurt

Eddie

Kurt & Eddie, as in Pearl Jam and Nirvana, now they have to get along :P

This is my second run with fancy rats, these babies are like any rat, totaly adorable.

Love um or hate um, rats are here to stay!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 6:14 pm

Those are cute, little ratties. :O)

Kelpie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 8:48 pm

Love rats. Used to pet these balded rats in my 7th grade science class. Teacher told everyone to back off because they kept biting people. But they never bit me. They adored me. haha

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 8:53 pm

My 7th grade science teacher kept two rats in her classroom, and she'd have us feed them and keep track of their growth based on what we feed them. It was fun to hold them. :)

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2010, 10:35 pm

I use to have three pet rats. Two white rats that were meant to be feeder rats. They were extremely smart, but since they were born and lived in a fish tank, they could barely run or jump. So I got to watch them as they learned to be rats. I taught them to come when I called their names, and I would let them run loose in my apartment when I left for work, after a lot of training. They would come running out to greet me when I would come home. One of them would tuck me in and give me a little rat kiss before I would put them in their cage for the night.

Sadly one had a very serious thyroid condition, which made her obese, plus she had a very large tumor. She seemed to have died in her sleep peacefully in September of 09. Then, much to my shock and horror, her sister choked on a piece of popcorn. I was heart broken.

The third one I got on a spur of a moment decision, the poor dear was all alone in her little cage at the pet shop and I took pity and bought her. I never managed to get the thing trained, and would bite my fingers to the point where they would bleed. My other rats would give me nips, but never drew blood, even when they were really pissed off with me.

Oh how I miss my two white rats, they will always have a place in my heart.

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2010, 11:44 pm

I LOVE RATS! I also like the names you gave your rats. I have a rat, but he is only called 'Rat'. Kurt Cobain had a rat, and he called it 'Kitty'.

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 2:07 am

Eddie is really cute! I think rats are adorable and I would love to have one as a pet, but unfortunately my mom finds them repulsive and won't let me have one under any circumstances.

If I did have pet rats, I would name them Ben and Socrates, like in the movie Willard.

Kelpie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 2:54 am

:( I can't have them because I have two cats. Both have once been outside cats, one particularly longer than the other. But I love rats AND birds, and can't have these.

Cute FAT LITTLE TAILS!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 5:22 pm

I want a pet rat.

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2010, 6:48 pm

If you do get a pet rat, get two. Rats are extremely social and can get very lonely when you aren't around or even paying attention to it. This way it will always have a play mate

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 11:46 pm

can domesticated rats actually express affection to their human hosts? if so, how?

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 12:08 am

If I had a rat, I'd have to call it RATT. They're fun looking animals, but I remember our 4th grade pet rat leaving pee trails everywhere, so I'm not sure if I'd want one as a pet.

frag
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 5:28 am

Had them, have had many actually. I hate that they have such short lives. They are awesome!

I decided no more rats now because... just not functioning well enough to do things like cleaning cages with ease, it's such an effort. For a while I let my last rats run loose in my bedroom, all went well until they realized how fun it was to nibble my toes so I woke up! I bet they laughed at me. Rats can laugh, we just don't hear it.

Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 5:35 am

They can be cute, my neighbor's pet rat bit me. So now I think otherwise. :(

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 11:18 am

How about 4 rats. 8)

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2010, 11:24 am

My rats would show affection for me by greeting me when I would get off of work or school. They would hear me open the door and come running to greet me just like a dog would. They would also scamper up onto my lap when I took off my shoes, demanding to be petted. Sometimes when they were scared, they would cuddle up under my legs. That was probably the most adorable thing ever.