Free-Hinter-System
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2010, 5:25 pm

The House Puzzle requires you to draw this shape:
^
__
|X| (Imagine that the roof is attached)

without repeating any lines or breaking the line.

I'm not sure if there is an official name for this puzzle. Anyways, I wrote a guide for it that allows you to solve it consistently and explains how it works. Maybe someone here is interested in looking at it. If you do, please let me know what you think.

http://not-specified.webs.com/miscel1/housepuzzle.htm

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 6:15 pm

I thought that you were talking about a puzzle, that had a picture of the character, House at first. :lol:

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 6:27 pm

I've encountered this puzzle before. I always have a lot of fun trying to work it out and can't seem to get that last line in without re-tracing. I end up with the house missing either the left side wall or the opposite side. Guess what? I did it again! :lol:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 6:54 pm

When I saw this first, it was an envelope, and I did do it, but I can't really prove it. But there you are, a fun little puzzle.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 9:24 pm

for me, a visual thinker, i cannot approach the problem (or understand a solution) in any other way but this:

arrows might clarify, but adding words would confuse me.

so while i found what you have written conceptually fascinating, my brain would freeze trying to put it into practice, whereas i found a solution in about five seconds by looking at it. maybe i have misunderstood the idea behind all this?

(if you don't want a solution in the thread, let me know and i will remove the image)

Kelpie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 12:16 am

I had hooked on phonics books back in 5th grade (2000?) and I was so stumped by this even when someone showed me how. haha

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 12:39 am

i thought of something.

if the lines couldn't cross:

this is stupidly easy for me, so either i'm missing something or this is where my intelligence lies.

is it easy? maybe it's just easy and i've missed the point of the thread.

Free-Hinter-System
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Aug 2010, 11:08 am

katzefrau wrote:
for me, a visual thinker, i cannot approach the problem (or understand a solution) in any other way but this:

[img][80:120]http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz109/katzenfraulein/wp/housegame.jpg[/img]

arrows might clarify, but adding words would confuse me.

so while i found what you have written conceptually fascinating, my brain would freeze trying to put it into practice, whereas i found a solution in about five seconds by looking at it. maybe i have misunderstood the idea behind all this?

(if you don't want a solution in the thread, let me know and i will remove the image)

Well, the problem is not generally finding a solution (because there are many possible) but finding a method of solving it using different patterns without the possibility of making a mistake. In other words, I wrote something that can let anyone "understand" the puzzle easily. Its not a particularly difficult puzzle, but it is quite interesting I think.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 11:13 am

katzefrau wrote:
i thought of something.

this is stupidly easy for me, so either i'm missing something or this is where my intelligence lies.

That's an 'out of the box' solution, or perhaps you're 'pushing the envelope'. 8)

Kelpie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 1:32 pm

Actually, that's how I was showed. I remember now. :O

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 4:47 pm

This is a popular subject area in the branch of mathematics known as graph theory (a part of the larger field of topology).

The original puzzle (regarding crossing all 7 of Konigsberg's bridges only once) was disproved by Euler in 1735.

Free-Hinter-System
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Aug 2010, 5:23 pm

katzefrau wrote:
i thought of something.

[img][80:120]http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz109/katzenfraulein/wp/housegame2.jpg[/img]

And the lines can cross. This picture is for an entirely different game.

Free-Hinter-System
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Aug 2010, 5:39 pm

visagrunt wrote:
This is a popular subject area in the branch of mathematics known as graph theory (a part of the larger field of topology).

The original puzzle (regarding crossing all 7 of Konigsberg's bridges only once) was disproved by Euler in 1735.

I hadn't heard about this but became very interested by it when I looked it up. This seems just like incredibly simple graph theory.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 7:51 pm

Free-Hinter-System wrote:
Well, the problem is not generally finding a solution (because there are many possible) but finding a method of solving it using different patterns without the possibility of making a mistake. In other words, I wrote something that can let anyone "understand" the puzzle easily. Its not a particularly difficult puzzle, but it is quite interesting I think.

it's certainly interesting.

what i find most fascinating about it is how i so completely fail to make sense of the written explanation while easily seeing all the possibilities by moving the lines around in my head, visually.

in that way it is a really nice illustration of different kinds of thought processes.

what's graph theory?