Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

hodgeheg
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Sep 2010, 12:25 pm

There's this dog somewhere nearby (I don't know where exactly) that's been making noises pretty much all day yesterday, today and overnight. It barks or howls (in particular it seems to howl a lot) every 20 seconds or so. Now, in all likelihood it'll have stopped by tomorrow, but I've never heard anything like it in the past despite the fact that there are several dogs living in the area. My understanding of dog behaviour is essentially limited to "if it wags its tail, it's happy", so I don't know why it's suddenly acting this way. It's definitely just the one dog, not one of those instances where one dog starts yapping and all the others join in. Does it sound as though it could be in distress, and if so, are there any warning signs I should be looking out for? :?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 9:21 pm

It sounds to me, that the dog is in distress.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 10:31 pm

i hope you will get involved. there are many reasons for this type of behavior. if you live in a city with animal control, please call them. give as complete information as you can. just 'there's a dog barking' rarely calls prompt attention.
are you concerned enough to go check yourself? just a look-see, not that you should go on anyone's property without their permission. is there an animal rescue group nearby your location? they probably have people who will be a little more aggressive in their approach. this could be nothing or it could be animal abuse.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 10:12 am

Sounds like the dog may be locked up somewhere for a sound reason or....I hope he's not
locked up and forgotten about. Maybe he's locked up without company because his owner went on vacation or is away temporarily where someone is coming in to feed the dog and clean up but isn't interacting or playing with it. I was lucky in that I had an auntie who took good care of my dog and cat when I was away. She fed them, walked them, played with them and cleaned up any mess. A dog needs much more socializing than a cat...buts cats need love too.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 10:29 am

Find where it is and call animal control to rescue it.