Post something that made you happy today.

Page 5 of 2052 [ 32825 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 2052  Next

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 7:23 am

my postman

b9
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 7:48 am

my father rang me from ballina this morning and he sounded very alert and intelligent.

he was 54 when i was adopted, and so he is 91 now.

when my mother died 7 years ago, his mentality collapsed, and he became functionally demented. my b***h sister took him to have tests, and she convinced the doctors that he had been that way for ages, and they concluded he had alzheimers disease.
i did not believe it because alzheimers disease cannot strike a healthy mind down to a demented state within weeks, and i knew he was experiencing post traumatic stress that blunted his mentality severely.

before my mother died, he was on top of things. he was collecting all his rents and doing his books and driving my mother to all her appointments and was hounding me to appropriate my time in a productive manner (i appreciated that).

then, a few weeks after she died, his mind dissolved and he started calling my sister by my mothers name. he thought i was his grandson rather than his son. he was not bathing and was wetting his pants and hitting the alcohol badly.

my sister had him defined as a non compos mentis, and seized control of all his assets (a large fortune) and she told us all he was gone forever. she had him put in an old persons home and neglected him because she said he did not know who was who anyhow.

i never neglected him and i ring him every day at 6pm, and i visit him often (600 miles away). sometimes he seems to be off with the fairies, and other times he seems to be reasonably able to hold a feeble conversation, and he has not deteriorated from the level of mentality that he plummeted to suddenly after my mother died (he would have deteriorated in the 7 years if he had alzheimers disease).

but today he rang me at 8:30am and he sounded like he was 50, and i was stunned.
he told me he was ringing me because he was going out for the day, and he described the weather and said things like "the humidity is low and the barometric pressure is high, so i don't think there will be any rain today".

he asked me how my business was going and i told him and one thing he said was "mark you've got to stay on top of all your debtors because they'll forget what they owe you, and if you don't have a clear invoice trail, they'll dispute it, and then you've got problems on your hands"

i was so stunned and happy that my father was still the father i always knew when i was a child.

then i went back to bed (i do not work on wednessdays) and i wafted off to complete my sleep cycle with a tickled heart.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 8:36 am

b9 wrote:
my father rang me from ballina this morning and he sounded very alert and intelligent.

he was 54 when i was adopted, and so he is 91 now.

when my mother died 7 years ago, his mentality collapsed, and he became functionally demented. my b***h sister took him to have tests, and she convinced the doctors that he had been that way for ages, and they concluded he had alzheimers disease.
i did not believe it because alzheimers disease cannot strike a healthy mind down to a demented state within weeks, and i knew he was experiencing post traumatic stress that blunted his mentality severely.

before my mother died, he was on top of things. he was collecting all his rents and doing his books and driving my mother to all her appointments and was hounding me to appropriate my time in a productive manner (i appreciated that).

then, a few weeks after she died, his mind dissolved and he started calling my sister by my mothers name. he thought i was his grandson rather than his son. he was not bathing and was wetting his pants and hitting the alcohol badly.

my sister had him defined as a non compos mentis, and seized control of all his assets (a large fortune) and she told us all he was gone forever. she had him put in an old persons home and neglected him because she said he did not know who was who anyhow.

i never neglected him and i ring him every day at 6pm, and i visit him often (600 miles away). sometimes he seems to be off with the fairies, and other times he seems to be reasonably able to hold a feeble conversation, and he has not deteriorated from the level of mentality that he plummeted to suddenly after my mother died (he would have deteriorated in the 7 years if he had alzheimers disease).

but today he rang me at 8:30am and he sounded like he was 50, and i was stunned.
he told me he was ringing me because he was going out for the day, and he described the weather and said things like "the humidity is low and the barometric pressure is high, so i don't think there will be any rain today".

he asked me how my business was going and i told him and one thing he said was "mark you've got to stay on top of all your debtors because they'll forget what they owe you, and if you don't have a clear invoice trail, they'll dispute it, and then you've got problems on your hands"

i was so stunned and happy that my father was still the father i always knew when i was a child.

then i went back to bed (i do not work on wednessdays) and i wafted off to complete my sleep cycle with a tickled heart.

(:

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 8:43 am

Zack asked me to go to the bar with him again tomorrow night.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 4:31 pm

My wonderful sense of humor.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 9:58 pm

Seeing my son's enthusiasm for learning to play a musical instrument. It's his first year of band at Junior High and he's learning to play the trombone.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 2:05 pm

Coffee

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 2:05 pm

menintights wrote:
For some reason your response to my post made me very happy, Taupey. :D

:D

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 2:10 pm

Getting plenty of sleep always makes me happy.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 2:13 pm

I'm happy today because I feel wonderfully liberated by telling the ugly truth. :D

Jigsaw
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Sep 2010, 3:07 pm

I don't often have very much going well, so today was very good because I had two good things.

One, a parents who wants her child in my class told the headmaster that she will change schools if she doesn't get him into my class. She believes her son needs someone like me at school.

And at Tesco, I saw a parent whose child I used to teach a couple of years back, who is now doing his GCSEs, and she said I changed his life. I did tell her that might be a bit over the top, but she said no, it wasn't, and that he'll never forget me. She talked to me for 10 minutes, which felt uncomfortable, especially as it was completely unexpected, but I think I did okay with it anyway (the conversation, although I was at a loss for words a couple of times).

Both things really helped, because I'm having a tough time with this diagnosis, with my relationship with my daughter, and wondering about life right now, and so these two instances sort of reaffirmed that I matter to someone.

I don't mean to sound like I'm being vain -- it just made me very happy to be special to someone in this world.

Patti

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 6:09 pm

StarCraft II

Zhang_Fei
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2010, 6:15 pm

iPad. :D

Meadow