No 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
It depends what "gay rights" encompasses 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
I don't care 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 66

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 1:50 pm

1.] Do you believe that a child raised by parents of the same sex would be more likely to "develop" differently? How? (In the sense of gender equality, sexual orientation, gender idendity, acceptance, etc.)

I think such children may be more inclined to be tolerant of the differences of others in general. As I believe sexual orientation is most likely largely determined by genetic/biological factors, I don't think such children would have any more/less of a propensity to be LGBT themselves. Not that I would care even if they did have a greater propensity to be LGBT. Sexually orientation is a matter of complete indifference to me and always has been. Aside from the silly religious beliefs many people hold, i'll never understand why it's even an issue.

2.] Do you think that LGBT should be taught in high schools? Why?

Yes....in fact I think kids should be educated about LGBT issues before entering high school.

3.] Do you think that, overall, same-sex parenting has more positive (or negative) effects than hetero (or single) parenting?

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

Quote:
"Neither. Children need a loving and stable environment to thrive. The people providing that is really beside the point".

I couldn't have put it better myself.....glad she saved me the keystrokes :wink:

4.]Do you believe gay marriage/union should be allowed in all countries? Why?

Yes. I believe consenting adults have the right to marry whoever they wish to marry....simple as that. I have no problem with certain religious denominations refusing to marry/accept the marriage of gay couples though. I believe they have that right regardless of whether I think it's silly, discriminatory, etc. There are plenty of religious denominations that will marry/accept the marriage of gay couples and marriage isn't an institution exculsive to religion in the first place.

5.] What are your opinions on LGBT in media?

Largely stereotyped....but sometimes media portrayals are fair and accurate.

It's too bad we don't yet live in a society in which all this is a non-issue.

I place the blame for that largely on Judeo-Christianity, or at least, on the common interpretations of (which ARE the literal interpretations BTW) this belief system.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 8:46 pm

Carnione wrote:
1] Do you believe that a child raised by parents of the same sex would be more likely to "develop" differently? How? (In the sense of gender equality, sexual orientation, gender idendity, acceptance, etc.)

Not really. Alot of LGBT grew up in families that were quite ignorant, and have denied what they couldn't help for years.

Carnione wrote:
2] Do you think that LGBT should be taught in high schools? Why?

No more than ordinary sex edgucation. Teaching the adult haters more would be a plus, though.

Carnione wrote:
3] Do you think that, overall, same-sex parenting has more positive (or negative) effects than hetero (or single) parenting?

:| I haven't met any gay families.

Carnione wrote:
4] Do you believe gay marriage/union should be allowed in all countries? Why?

My oppinions.
It's not possible to allow it in all countries yet. For my country I say 'yes', because they are both consenting adults. Religious favoritism helps absolutly nobody, and that seems to be a popular act, where the "freedom" to choose between religions should be respected. For example, if the gay couple is agnostic, the Mormons shouldn't have a right to force them to marry only under Mormon rules as if the same thing worked for all other religions.

Carnione wrote:
5] What are your opinions on LGBT in media?

It's ok I supposed. :shrug:

Last edited by LiendaBalla on 05 Sep 2010, 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 8:51 pm

I support gay rights.. Always have and always will.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 9:08 pm

Quote:
1] Do you believe that a child raised by parents of the same sex would be more likely to "develop" differently? How? (In the sense of gender equality, sexual orientation, gender idendity, acceptance, etc.)
They're more likely to be accepting of homosexuals and same-sex parents, and possibly more likely to be targeted by homophobic bullies.

Quote:
Whaaa? Why not? We teach everybody in public high schools. If you're talking about it not being safe, then segregation isn't the answer--controlling the abusers is.

Quote:
3] Do you think that, overall, same-sex parenting has more positive (or negative) effects than hetero (or single) parenting?
I think that kids need role models of both sexes, but they don't have to be parents. The only kids I worry about are the ones with single parents and no family/friend involvement in parenting, since not having more than one person to rely on makes life kind of shaky.

Quote:
Yes. When the law rules on marriage, it rules on the legal contract of marriage, not the religious observance. The law is there to stop us from violating each others' rights, and when it's got to do with a couple of adults who are doing something they want to do that doesn't hurt anybody, the law's got no right to say that their gender determines whether or not they can do that thing. Gay marriage doesn't violate anybody's rights; therefore, the law should allow it.

Quote:
Uhh... that it's there? I don't really care either way. I'm not into romance. Though I'd like it if people would stop writing so much awful, awful slash fanfiction. Bad het is awful as it is, but it's even worse when the writer apparently doesn't know how it's physically supposed to work. Also, they need to stop turning asexual characters non-asexual. There are precious few enough of them in the media as it is, and I'd like to see their existence respected.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2010, 4:02 am

Carnione wrote:

I don't think they would be much different other than they would be more accepting/open minded. There is a girl in my year level who was raised by her mother and her lesbian partner, and she is more tolerant and accepting of people in minority groups than a lot of other people her age who haven't been in that situation. She also hasn't been influenced by her mothers' sexual orientation; she is heterosexual.

Carnione wrote:

Yes, because it would make people more tolerant and accepting, and would make those who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered feel better about themselves and not face as much discrimination.

Carnione wrote:

It depends on the parents; e.g. you could have an abusive heterosexual mother and father, or kind, caring, loving homosexual fathers who try their best to give their kids a good life. There are plenty of homosexual couples who would be better parents than many heterosexual couples.

Carnione wrote:

Gay marriage should be allowed. Apparently marriage is a 'human right' so homosexual people are being denied that right in most countries.

Carnione wrote:

I don't really know.

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 8:49 pm

Quote:

No.
Quote:

No. I don't push my beliefs on other peoples kids so I don't feel they should push theirs on mine. Let the schools teach the basic subjects; reading, writing, science, and arithmetic.
Quote:

Depends on the parents.
Quote:

Yes. I can only speak for America. In america you are free to do what you want as long as you don't infringe on the rights of others. Allowing gay marriages doesn't infringe on anyones rights. I think polygamy should also be legal, as long as everyone is consenting.
Quote:

I don't watch TV.

Kelpie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 2:40 am

No. Things I've noticed in a gay relationship is that there is a dominant and submissive partner. These roles are similar to father/mother roles, and generally a gay couple is going to treat themselves as such. In this day and age, it's now common for a mother to work a job and for a father to stay at home and take care of the kids as well. The roles being changed shows that this could be possible for anyone to do good as a parent. The only thing that is going to change how these children develop is the social aspects - people who are against it are going to harass their children, they're going to say it's the gay parent's fault, when they have the freedom to stop their insults and harrassments. The bullying, teasing, harrasment, and harm that society does is not either's fault, but the people who partake in this behavior to hurt others.

Yes, it is a part of our history, just like the freedoms of blacks!

Neither.

Yes. Because love is something not seen by nationality, race, religion, etc.

It can be biased, just like marijuana prohibition, and over-exaggerated on either end. But this is a sociology norm - Humans shall always exaggerate to make their point. I sit on the fence.

I am a girl who loves her boyfriend of 4.5 years. I've been living with him for 1.5 years. I think it is not my choice to force someone to love the opposite sex. That is saying I have authority to do so, and no one does. You can preach your religion to me, but who are you to say you have the judgement powers of your God(ess)? You have no right, except for your God(ess).

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 4:07 am

Carnione wrote:
(I hope I posted this in the right place...?) :oops:

I'm doing a seminar on Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgendered rights and need to collect opinions of other people, so if you have the time, can you give your opinion on each of these + any other additional things you may wish to add:

1] Do you believe that a child raised by parents of the same sex would be more likely to "develop" differently? How? (In the sense of gender equality, sexual orientation, gender idendity, acceptance, etc.) I think they would be more accepting to things that aren't considered the norm. I don't think they have a higher chance of being LGBT
2] Do you think that LGBT should be taught in high schools? Why?Yeah they should be taught. There are so many misconceptions that need to be ironed out of them.
3] Do you think that, overall, same-sex parenting has more positive (or negative) effects than hetero (or single) parenting? Nope I just think that it depends on the individuals. There are many accepting hetero and single parents.
4] Do you believe gay marriage/union should be allowed in all countries? Why? I believe marriage should be allowed but I think divorces should be tougher to get (for both hetero and same sex couples.
5] What are your opinions on LGBT in media? No opinion here

Question 2 - in case there are any differences between your definition of high school and mine - means students between ages 13-18 years old. :wink: And, the word "taught" can be interpreted as you want, so long as you mention what you mean, as well - I meant it mostly in the "teaching tolerance," though it can also mean including it in the "making it part of 'Safe Sex' classes" or "making it part of a History/Social Study/other class," etc.

sylbao
Raven
Raven

07 Sep 2010, 5:39 am

I think gay rights should just be equal to every human rights.
About wedding : I don't know why it should be forbidden for two persons who forms a loving couple and who really wants to do it.
About adoption : studies were led by different psy along several years which all proved that children raised by homosexual couples bloom as well as the others, in every domain, including sexual identity, etc. So...

starquake
Raven
Raven

07 Sep 2010, 6:51 am

Carnione wrote:

no. i believe kids are more aware of their own feelings and identities at early ages most people think of. when i was in kindergarten i was already in love with a little girl. and it was definitely not because i saw the same pattern at home (my dad was rarely at home because he worked in a different country), but because i was attracted to girls a lot, and to boys not at all.

Carnione wrote:

no. they should be taught of being tolerant. but not only about LGBT, but tolerant with other people (other religion, other nation, etc) in general. being LGBT is not a difference that needs special education. dumb folks will hate gays even if they get some education, smart folks will see the person inside the body, even if they don't get any lecture.

Carnione wrote:

it depends on the environment. i believe that in a small village, kids of such parents may get more insults from others. in a big, tolerant city this is out of question.

Carnione wrote:

yes. if two people wants to get legally tied to eachother, i see no reason why to discriminate by genders. i don't think there would be more gays if this would be allowed, so i just don't see the point in why not allow gays to get married.

Carnione wrote:

i don't want to sound bad, but i believe that their sexual orientation or behaviour is their own business. i'm very tolerant to gays, but i'm not at all interested in promoting their lifestyles. just like i'm not interested in partying teens, butchers, soldiers, etc. i believe that for example gay prides are somewhat contrabeneficial (maybe this is not even a word). such things does not show the message: the gays are just like us, straights. but they usually show that gays are somewhat sick people.

at least here, in such parades usually gay ppl are parading in terrible clothes, doing terrible stuff. i had and still have many real gay and lesbian buddies, and none of them went to such parties, and none of them dress like that. i think usually such parties are filled by sick people, no matter whether they are gay or straight.

i hope my message goes through, i don't want to hurt anyone.

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2010, 10:07 am

Carnione wrote:

I feel that sexual orientation and gender identity in general are fairly fixed with some elements of mutability. I do not think that having typical parents or non typical parents will have an affect on a child as to drastically change those two aspects of personality. I do feel that gender equality and acceptance in general would be more frequently upheld in a non typical parental set up as non typical families tend to be less conservative than typical families.

Carnione wrote:

I feel that this information is relevant to understanding the way that the world and society function. While I am not sure that sexual information should be presented at younger ages such as preschool or grade school (please understand I do understand its need to perhaps be done so early on though) I do feel that it should be a standard in most health classes where other topics pertaining to sexuality are also taught. I think that by high school a few details left out pertaining to notable figures in history regarding their sexuality should be mentioned instead of hidden.

Carnione wrote:

I feel that parenting is parenting. A responsible adult who is capable of handling the needs of a child is the most important aspect of parenting. Sexuality or relationship status should not come into play in any major way.

Carnione wrote:

I don't understand why it isn't when two consenting adults are involved.

Carnione wrote:

The media is full of inconsistencies and always has been. LGBT is shown in many differing ways through the media and one must take time to truly observe and form their own opinions on matters instead of letting media outlets tell them what to think.

"Power is the reason that we all are fighting for, control your body, your soul and heart. Yes- some of us who surrender are like lambs to the slaughter; get the power & try harder to reach the next stage."
-SMT III

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 10:07 am

They'd probably be more aware of certain kinds of marginalization, which could give rise to interest and insight in other/all forms of marginalization.

That it exists, yeah. Nothing graphic needs to be mentioned.

And that people get killed, beaten, raped for it, and maybe make some comparisons to things like mixed-race marriage being illegal in the USA until pretty recently (1968?).

And just basically, "don't bash or kill any LGBT people, ok?"

I don't know; I don't think it'll make a massive difference in the big picture.
Since straight parents are not held up to similar scrutiny, I'd say the bar for gay parents is very low. (Though of course I hope they shoot for better than that.)

Yes. And if for no other reason it's a sad thing to have a gay person maybe marry a straight person such that both of them end up wasting decades of their lives living a lie.

I don't watch much TV these days, so I don't know.

I'd consider it a good thing if there was a new TV show about some LGBT character, where it's supposed to edgy/forbidden/salacious (i.e. Teela Tequila), but it ends up being a regarded as a boring flop.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 12:17 pm

Carnione wrote:

I'm doing a seminar on Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgendered rights and need to collect opinions of other people, so if you have the time, can you give your opinion on each of these + any other additional things you may wish to add:

Well, my parents' heterosexuality doesn't seem to have affected my sexual orientation. I think the research is pretty clear that there is no statistically significant difference between children raised by opposite sex couple and same sex couples.

I think it is fairly intuitive that a a child raise by two parents of the same sex would tend to view same-sex parent families as more normative. There would be a follow on effect in children who have friends who live in same-sex parent families.

Quote:

Children should have comprehensive sexuality education, if only for their own protection. Sex is fraught with risks, both physical and emotional. A child that understands the nature of both reproductive biology and human relations is likely to be in a healthier position to say, "no," to unwanted conduct.

The greater the child's knowledge and awareness, the better equipped that child will be to cope. This applies to sex; to money; to finding a job. School is not merely about academics, but life skills, too.

Quote:

Neither. The sex of the parents is irrelevant. It is the presence of two caregivers, and the financial health of the home that are much more significant in the healthy development of children.

Quote:

Yes, because sexuality is an intrinsic characteristic of all adult humans. If sexuality is a key component in people's choices of their partners, then it follows that same sex marriages ought properly to be permitted alongside opposite sex marriages.

That being said, cultures are going to develop at different rates, and what is workable in Canada today is not necessarily workable in Sudan at any given time in the medium to long term.

Quote:

Far too general a question to give a simple reply.

In broadcast and print journalism, the presence of LGBT reporting is subject to the publishers' biases, but tends to the objective in most mainstream media.

In film/television/publishing do not think that we have yet reached a point where sexuality is incidental to characters, although there are some signal exceptions. That being said, we have come a long way from The Boys in the Band.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 7:07 pm

Carnione wrote:

It depends on the child, and the environment they live in. While they would likely be accepted for being gay, won't there be a dissenence(sp) if the child ends up being hetero and doesn't find the idea of a same sex partner appealing? They might compare themselves to Mommy/Mommy or Daddy/Daddy and if they happen to feel icked out by the idea of themselves kissing another man/woman, they might feel guilt, or guilt that they don't like the idea, but MM/DD does, and it could possibly create a personal crisis.

Carnione wrote:
No. LGBT is a personal and a political issue. One that should be decided by that individual, and not promoted as a 'lifestyle' in schools. Schools should be for 'Reading, 'Riting and 'Rithmatic' as the old saying goes, not as a sounding board for special interest groups.

Carnione wrote:

I do think it could have some unintended effects, but what they are is unknown.

Carnione wrote:

Only if the citizens want it, not if it is going to be forced on them by an overzealous government or politician. But the people should be allowed to dissent also, if they feel that having gay marriage is not in the country's/people's best interest.

Carnione wrote:

I think the media tends to get it all wrong. What it is to be LGBT is something else entirely. It is a personal struggle, but often times it gets caracatured or a token character gets shoved in. A person who disagrees with it often gets made into a villian, rather then being allowed to disagree. It is hyped to ridiculous degrees, and often times does not reflect reality.

Carnione wrote:

Question 2 - in case there are any differences between your definition of high school and mine - means students between ages 13-18 years old. :wink: And, the word "taught" can be interpreted as you want, so long as you mention what you mean, as well - I meant it mostly in the "teaching tolerance," though it can also mean including it in the "making it part of 'Safe Sex' classes" or "making it part of a History/Social Study/other class," etc.
If you mean in safe sex classes, then I don't think it should be tuaght without the parent's approval. Not everyone agrees with it, and they should be allowed to opt out rather then be forced into a class that may violate their conscious. It is when the schools get tyrannical with making students go, then it turns into a circus, and everyone loses.

I am a B, but I put any of that behind when I became a Christian. It is differant for me then it would be for someone who is secular. I don't necessarily agree with the premise of LGBT, but I do know what it means to feel 'those feelings.'

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 2:47 pm

When I was growing up, and in my college years, I was admittedly ignorant and raised to be very homophobic by an older mother and father. But then, one of my oldest friends came out and told me he was gay. I found myself taking a hard look in the mirror, and I had to ask myself why I hated people who had never done me any harm. Part of it, as I had stated, was having been raised by older parents, and in a traditional religious background. But also, a part of it was the irrational notion that if I sided with gays, I'd open myself up to accusations of being gay myself (stupid, stupid). This doubtlessly stems from my experiences growing up as an outsider myself, craving acceptance. I've since reevaluated the ideas and notions I had had since growing up, and I am proud to say that for years now, I am very accepting of gays, bisexuals, and transgenders. I even married a bisexual lady, who is the love of my life :D . Today, I count gay and bisexual people as my friends, and I see the fight for gay marriage and gay rights as the most recent struggle for civil rights all Americans deserve and are entitled too.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Sep 2010, 7:09 pm

This reminds me of a few centuries ago when blacks had less rites & it was illegal for blacks & whits to marry each other

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition