I couldn't care less about food! 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Uh...normally? 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Uh...normally? 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 62

Aeriel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2006, 6:28 am

This is the first time I've created a poll so I hope I get it right.

'm curious about the eating habits of other aspies. Do you eat 'normally'? Or do you try to be careful and eat only healthy things? Are you more or less on a diet to lose or gain? Are you food-obsessed, have anorexia or bulimia?

Personally I am 'orthorexic' - that is, somewhat obsessed with eating the 'right' foods in the 'right' combinations and suffering guilt when I don't. This has been classified as an eating disorder too, although I don't think it is. I am most comfortable when I stay within the restrictions I impose on myself, food-wise.

So people, how do you like to eat?

edgey123
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2006, 7:27 am

I'm the same I'm quite a healthy eater, (spinach, cashew nuts, orange juice, fish).

I want to change though as i haven't eaten sweets for two and a half years and I miss some things like chocolate - I only started eating honey again after more than three years.

I think it's the only thing in my life I can control (my diet) but it doesn't make me happy - it might make you healthy on the inside but my Sister drinks tea with caffeine (I wouldn't in a month of Sundays) and she eats sweets.
I read articles saying "Fish is good for the brain" or "nuts have certain nutrients in them, but I don't believe it" :x

Sundy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2006, 9:26 am

I usually try to eat organic foods. I try to avoid eating red meat more than twice a week. I eat a lot of fish and some chicken. I can't stand the texture of nuts, especially pecans (which is the state tree of Texas).

I finally learned how to cook and everyone says my cooking is great. I think it's because I pay so much attention to the details of the recipe. I've also figured out the best salt to garlic ratio. Also, everything that I make is easy to identify and there are no surprises. I hate eating food with a surprise inside...when you expect one thing and get something completely different. I also don't like to eat food that you can't tell what it is. It surprises me how many people prefer that too. No casseroles come out of my kitchen!

Once I started eating better, I started feeling better. If anyone needs any easy, tasty, healthier than fast food recipes, let me know and I'll pass them around.

Here's a tip from me, never drink sodas! Even diet sodas! They're so bad for you and it's not just the caffeine. It's the sugar in the regular sodas and the aspartame (sugar substitute) in the diet sodas. It's bad for your teeth, digestive system, and cognitive functioning. Even the diet sodas will make you fat. I’ll admit that I have a soda about once a month, but it’s usually some fancy kind so it’s more of a treat. That’s still better than every day.

drummer_girl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2006, 10:27 am

im just tryin to eat normally wothout being obsessive/. only obsessive over the aqmount of weight im losing and feeling the need to tell every body (esp ppl that are bigger than i am) how loose my pants are etc...

i just cut out (mostly) chocolate and sweets and chip h=shop visits, and i eat meat and veg, or forzen meals, and snadwiches and cutted out my snacks, and i excersise quite abit

there is pics if u r interested just here

^^^^ thats a hill i ride up on my bike every day its about 3 times the length behind the trees!

and lost 55 lbs so far :D ~:D ^^^^
^^^^ theres the ice cream van that sits right at the top of the fore-mentioned hill... a temptation when im panting like a dog once ive got the top of hill on my bike!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 10:43 am

I usually reach for Friuts and Vegetables. Sometimes I have a bad week, in which I eat Sweets all the time, though.

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 11:27 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I usually reach for Friuts and Vegetables. Sometimes I have a bad week, in which I eat Sweets all the time, though.

this sounds rather me-ish. Fruits and vegetables for me. Well, chocolate usually does it for me when I have had a bad week. Anyway, I have been a vegetarian ever since I was a youngster (about 1-2 years old maybe?) . I just can't seem to handle the consistency of meat.

Elanivalae
Raven
Raven

15 May 2006, 12:06 pm

I have a very unhealthy pattern, as I am still trying to fight my way out of Eating Disorder Land. :/ I eat reasonably healthy most of the time (steamed rice, vegetables, fruits, mostly water and coffee to drink), but then I have problems with occasional binge eating. I probably also drink too much beer to be entirely healthy for me.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 12:26 pm

Aeriel wrote:
So people, how do you like to eat?

En passant.

Food is not a major event to me, with the significant exception of comfort eating when I'm really low. Most often, being on my own, food is taken in the midst of some other activity.

I try to get some variety, and healthy stuff, to help offset the above. Salads are great in warmer weather.

edgey123
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2006, 1:18 pm

drummer_girl well done for losing the weight!! :D

Emettman what does En passant mean?

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 1:50 pm

How do I eat? With my mouth!

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 2:02 pm

Aeriel wrote:

Personally I am 'orthorexic' - that is, somewhat obsessed with eating the 'right' foods in the 'right' combinations and suffering guilt when I don't. This has been classified as an eating disorder too, although I don't think it is. I am most comfortable when I stay within the restrictions I impose on myself, food-wise.

oo, I went through a period of obsessing over health food; I would only eat pasta made of rice, lots of whole grained stuff, a ton of fruits and vegetables (although I still eat this) lots of different vitamins, I would weigh my meals (only to balance my diet), drink lots of water, eat no sweets, and so on. I was very healthy for a while there, but after a few months, I started looking rather anemic. I'm a vegan, so there are a lot of vitamins I naturally lack due to not eating meat. This only got worse when sticking to stricktly heath food. Now I have a rather balanced diet, and no longer obsess over food. I also take vitamin B12.

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2006, 9:17 pm

i just eat a lot. lots of sugar, yum

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2006, 12:37 am

edgey123 wrote:
Emettman what does En passant mean?

"In Passing"...

Though I'm not actually into eating while walking.
Food is rarely "the event". It's something that happens while I'm doing something else, even if it's only reading a book. As I type this I have breakfast alongside:
Coffee and well-done toast wth dark marmalade.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2006, 10:42 am

I am picky about foods but sometimes I don't have enough of a choice. I cannot skip eating because that will throw me off of my routine.

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2006, 4:38 pm

With my fingers...

Just kidding. Sorry, I've had too much caffine today.

But seriously, it's odd that I don't have a routine that I eat on. It's kinda at the mercy of everything else I do. Like say, I eat when I finally break away from something I'm doing and I happen to be hungry. But I am VERY picky. I try to force myself to try new things, because my friends will point out that I've eaten the same thing multiple times. I also do it in an attempt to keep something of a balance in nutrition.