Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 5:51 pm

It's because they don't think.

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2010, 12:02 am

People are all dumb as hell, don't bother dividing them up into groups.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 12:04 am

They expect me to be weak and feminine, just because I have a vagina. I hate my gender.

Dr_Horrible
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2010, 1:52 am

It is absolutely great when a long, elaborate reply is written and subsequently ignored, due to being opening a new page in the thread.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 7:02 am

It's because they're sarcastic and they think that they can toughen us up, with their sarcasm.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 11:09 am

to dr. horrible......join the crowd pal, i've been ignored my entire life. oh, i think you give humans wayyyyy to much credit. 'specially on the environment. take china...they have a saying there..."how much do you want to spend"...meaning--anything, anyone can be bought.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 11:28 am

sluice wrote:
Most people are rather stupid once you move the subject away from what they know about.

Ignorant, not stupid.

ruveyn

Dr_Horrible
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2010, 1:43 pm

danandlouie wrote:
to dr. horrible......join the crowd pal, i've been ignored my entire life. oh, i think you give humans wayyyyy to much credit. 'specially on the environment. take china...they have a saying there..."how much do you want to spend"...meaning--anything, anyone can be bought.

It is paramount that humans actually act in their self-interest and don't continue the current path of overexploitation, as it would only mean that we'll all end up like Easter Island. The Earth is a closed system, and you could never ever overexploit closed systems and expect anything good coming from that. So yes, human stupidity is quite borderless (social-darwinism, tea partyism and pol-potism are evidence of this), but hopefully if a believable alternative to the current system is presented, humanity (or at least a big enough minority of it) could choose to actually struggle for a sustainable future for everyone.

Look at my thread in the Politics section, mate.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 1:57 pm

Dr_Horrible wrote:
It is absolutely great when a long, elaborate reply is written and subsequently ignored, due to being opening a new page in the thread.

I did read it and I absolutely agree with it. It was a good approach to a silly question which the poster probably thought was rhetorical. But you decided to truly examine it, starting with requiring a definition of dumb. I don't want you to think you were talking into the wind.

Dr_Horrible
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2010, 2:12 pm

Janissy wrote:
Dr_Horrible wrote:

I did read it and I absolutely agree with it. It was a good approach to a silly question which the poster probably thought was rhetorical. But you decided to truly examine it, starting with requiring a definition of dumb. I don't want you to think you were talking into the wind.

It happens then and then occasionally, but usually (on other forums) I have received good replies to my posts. I actually decided to start a thread which is touching the subject in Politics. It would either receive zero replies or develop into some kind of flamefest between American liberals and conservatives I fear, but at least I've posted it.

Silly questions could produce interesting answers.

As my mentor have said, "...the Pythagoreans wanted to achieve absolute crap, and accidentally discovered the foundation for western science".

Last edited by Dr_Horrible on 11 Oct 2010, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sahmiam
Raven
Raven

11 Oct 2010, 2:12 pm

"The world is a large place, filled with stupid people."

When I was your age, one of my teachers told me that. I never forgot it, though as I have gotten older and learned how to deal with other people more effectively, it doesn't seem as true as it once did. I know kids a third my age that are infinitely smarter than I am. At the same time, some people might not know as much as I do about certain things. It doesn't annoy me any more than the fact that there are clouds in the sky or fish in the ocean. It is what it is. Why does it bother you?

Dr_Horrible
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2010, 2:17 pm

Sahmiam wrote:
"The world is a large place, filled with stupid people."

When I was your age, one of my teachers told me that. I never forgot it, though as I have gotten older and learned how to deal with other people more effectively, it doesn't seem as true as it once did. I know kids a third my age that are infinitely smarter than I am. At the same time, some people might not know as much as I do about certain things. It doesn't annoy me any more than the fact that there are clouds in the sky or fish in the ocean. It is what it is. Why does it bother you?

I don't know about the OP, but...

It does bother me because life is probably a rare occurence in the Universe, giving the unlikelyhood of the right combination of amounts of materials in a given world to sustain the formation of life. The value of our Earth is literally invaluable, and we have no other place to travel if our leaders within the political and commercial elite are destroying the foundations of our existence.

Therefore, it is of extreme importance that the causes and effects of "human stupidity" (or rather "ignorance") are examined, so we could understand why humans behave in certain manners. That is not out of some whim, but it is a necessity to understand the mechanisms so we could find the means to alter human behaviour without having to resort to some kind of stalinism.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2010, 2:20 pm

Edit

Dr_Horrible
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2010, 2:49 pm

As for everything with Asperger's, aspies tend to draw towards extremes, thus compensating various heights with intense lows. It is like in a racing game with different cars, where you have one that is extremely balanced and one which has speed 5+ and manueverability 0.

Shortly speaking, when aspies are stupid, they tend to be really stupid. So stupid that they actually manage to scare me. But their stupidity is often caused by rigid fixation on one goal, ignoring all other outcomes or sudden interruptions, much like how the Spanish Armada pursued a highly unrealistic plan instead of actually trapping the English fleet when they got the chance. This has involved aspies repeating the same failed behavioural patterns over and over again, self-destructive behaviour and so on. In short, people acting like in an old Donald Duck or Goofy cartoon film.

NT stupidity is usually more subtle, and thus harder to identify. It is usually related to ignorance, dominance behaviour, submission behaviour, authority, popularity and a mix of various issues which produce results which are enstrengthening the fabric of a profoundly ill society.

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2010, 11:35 pm

I think that RetNet56 is probably just frustrated with NT adults because they are hard for autistic people to understand. When somebody gets angry at somebody else, it is typical of the angry person to call the other person "stupid". Also, autistic people do tend to have an intellectual edge over the general population. It kind of makes sense that we do, because we tend to get most of our entertainment from more educational sources whereas the majority of people tend to get most of their entertainment from social interaction. We pay more attention to patterns and dedicate long periods of time to studying things that most people don't care about.