Would any of you consider being a homemaker/kept woman/man?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2010, 9:40 am

As you know I've now got a girlfriend, who's quite fine with me 'looking after' her (she's earned it you see

However I was just wondering what any of you guys and gals thought?

I mean although it's great to be indepentdent (with regards to money) and all that proveded that you aren't taken advanage of (which could still happen in a job!) It's not a bad life being a 'kept' woman/man is it?

After all just so long as you've got an income that you can live on (hopefully with at least some comfort) but the way we see this is that it does not matter wether or not both or just one of you earns money as if it's there it's, well there, simple as that!! !!

Provided one did not steal it that is.....

In case you were wondering how we'd get our income, well, I'm going to set up an ebay account soon and sell odds and ends (I've always thought that I be good at being self employed) and (if we can) her benfits as she'll be not only registered unemplyed but as it happens she's unable to work due to her epalespy, and even if she could her laid back ways would most likely give her the sack!! !! !!

Of course if anyone gave her/us any greaf on this (or any other matter) all we'd have to do is..

1 Tell them to mind their own business.

2. Call the cops, as if they continued to bother us they could be charged with harassment. As in the eyes of the law if anyone makes someone else uncomfitable in any way they are brakeing the law.

(This would work as only those known to us would know of our lifestyle)

As it happens the money side of things is fine and we can go ahead with this, and while I know that not everyone else feels the same way (or even if they can carry this kind of thing out.) I care a lot about her and I only asked her to do this (and she said that she would) as I don't want to worry about her having issues at work!

I don't want some kind of slave, or even male pride (not that that's a bad thing, in moderation) all I want is for her to be safe and happy and seeing that she's the kind of person she is, her living a life of leasure (and the odd bit of house work as like it or not it still has to be done but I will help her out when I'm not too tired) would be the best option for her

I'm fine with people who take both sides of the debate but pleaese no flameing!

Goodbye Till Next Time.

P.S. Our minds have been made up on this matter so please do not think that I'm asking for advice on wether or not to undertake this I was only wondering as to how many others here felt the same way.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 9:46 am

I can barely keep my own place clean. I need a homemaker. :lol:

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2010, 9:49 am

I know it's not PC but I always thought being a homemaker was lame. It is basically the opposite of ambition to me, and I think we should all strive for achievement. I don't think anyone "deserves" to be a homemaker. I'd rather be productive and help the world in some way.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 10:58 am

I like homemakers. I don't think there are enough homemakers in the US today. I miss the days when my mom was a homemaker, because I miss her really bad when she's at work.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 4:23 pm

poppyfields wrote:
I know it's not PC but I always thought being a homemaker was lame. It is basically the opposite of ambition to me, and I think we should all strive for achievement. I don't think anyone "deserves" to be a homemaker. I'd rather be productive and help the world in some way.

I agree.

House chores are things no one wants to do (or claims to not have the time to do) that everyone has to learn to do anyway. For people to pretend that a homemaker is an actual job, let alone a noble one, that's really screwed up.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 6:44 pm

No.
I don't care how much easier it would make things; it would kill my self-respect.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 7:05 pm

I was unthinkingly against the idea for my own life (but neutral to anyone else having such a lifestyle) until a year or two ago when a (male) friend told me that his dream life would be to be a homemaker/stay-at-home-dad. This got me thinking, and I realized that there's really nothing wrong at all with one partner being a homemaker, as long as the relationship remains an equal, loving, and respectful partnership. Just being a homemaker doesn't necessarily make the person "kept."

I don't think I could do it, because I would get bored (though to work only part-time would be fantastic), but I would consider it a perfectly viable option for the (hypothetical) man in my life, if it was what was best for him. I can win my own bread.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 7:08 pm

I've thought about it, but ultimately I'm too much of a free spirit (read; lazy)

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 7:19 pm

Moog wrote:
I've thought about it, but ultimately I'm too much of a free spirit (read; lazy)

Too lazy to be a homemaker? :lol: So you're going more for homebody?

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 9:07 pm

I'd die of boredom if I ever had such a career. I have nothing against homemakers, but it's just not my cup of tea.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Oct 2010, 10:49 pm

I haven't worked in two years due to disabilities that make it very hard for me to find a job. I spend most of my time at home & I like staying home. The 3 jobs I had were cleaning(dish-washer at IHOP, floor-cleaning at WalMart, custodian at a sporting-goods store) I don't do much housework but if I was with someone who wanted to teach me; I'd be willing to try & learn. Being a homemaker sounds good to me. No woman would want to go to work & support a guy who's not working & then come home & have to do housework to. I'll never be able to find that kind of woman & it would NOT be fair to her. Being a homemaker is about the only way an unemployed disabled like me might could possibly have a partner unless she was disabled & unemployed herself which wouldn't bother me either.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2010, 10:54 pm

It's too open ended for me. If I don't have a specific set of rules to follow, I can't seem to get anything done. Plus, I don't think that I could get much enjoyment or pride from just keeping a house tidy. I need something more mentally stimulating. However, I would love to share a residence with a homemaker. :lol:

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 11:04 pm

I come from a long line of people who think that one person should work and one person should stay home to either care for the house or the kids or both... depending on their family structure and child situation or whatnot. While my family was traditional in that sense, it never mattered to them who stayed at home, the man or the woman... whoever was better suited to work out of home did that and the one more suited to work at home did that. Me? I have tried both working in and out of the home and I seem to not be very good at either. My husband is the only one who works now and I try to tend to the house and such. I am at a point in my life where I cannot work. Were the roles reversed I would do the same for him, and for awhile I did, several years ago I was the only one working. I see nothing wrong with people tending to each other like that. I think it makes things easier for a lot of people and I always wondered why more people do not do that. I think it simplifies things. I hated it when both my husband and I worked at the same time.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Oct 2010, 11:20 pm

Lots of people seem to have negative attitudes about that. If a guy does it; other men think he's gay or less of a man & the women would think he's a lazy unmotivated user. When a woman stays home; other women think she's a slave to traditional gender rolls & they assume that the woman is being used/forced to do the housework. I don't think there is anything wrong with either the man or woman staying home if it works for both of em. It totally sux that people get judged like that. NOT everyone is capable of making a lot of money & have great successful jobs. If one person is able to make a lot; it seems kind of stupid for other other person to go to a minimum wage job & for both of em to tackle housework together when they are both tired & worn out from working or for em to hire someone to do it while they're at work. Lots of people would think I'm a parasitic leech

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 11:39 pm

dossa wrote:
I think it makes things easier for a lot of people and I always wondered why more people do not do that.

One partner staying home = not enough income to continue the (upper) middle-class lifestyle. Everyone wants their two-story house and two cars these days, along with those yearly vacations to the beach house and still enough leftover money to dip into the kids' college fund.

We're all crazy like that.

DeadpanDan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2010, 12:48 am

Eh, I'm not even able enough to be a homemaker in the first place. That's several levels of ability over me; it'd be a marked improvement.