9. turquiose
10. danburite
11. quartz crystals
12&13.. tektites

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Oct 2010, 8:47 pm

That's an impressive collection Richardbenson. I used to collect rocks when I was a child---but nothing like what you have.

My wife and I went to Put-in-Bay in northern Ohio once and saw the world's largest geode. It's called Crystal Cave. You actually go inside the geode!

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Oct 2010, 8:51 pm

thank you! ive been a serious collector :nerdy: for about since i was a kid also.

wow! i would love to go inside a cave made out of a single geode. thats so special! :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 9:11 pm

I love the quartz crystals the best. They're all quite nice. :)

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 9:25 pm

Beautiful, Richard. Thanks for showing them to us. That's one huge shark's tooth!

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 9:30 pm

Very cool. Not the same, but I will collect a worn stone from a mountain stream when I go hiking to different places. I love the smoothness of them and layers of color.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 11:03 pm

Ah! I knew that was a megaladon's tooth before I got to your description! I think there is no physical object in all this world that I want more than I want a megalodon tooth. Did you find it or buy it?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 11:17 pm

Awesome collection Richard! Those quartz crystals are really beautiful! :D My parents used to have an amethyst geode. I don't know where it went though. It's probably in the garage somewhere.

What's the difference between spodumene and danburite? They look the same in the pictures.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

31 Oct 2010, 9:59 am

IR, the difference between them, is danburite is an up and comming gemstone, while spodumene is the main sorce of pharmacutical lithium. (i think they ground it up, and extract the lithium to make medicine ) of course it also is a gemstone and goes by the names kunzite, and hiddenite pink and green respectively. that pirticular crystal is from pakistan

Danburite was first originally discoverd in danbury connecticut and is recieving alot of attention for its soft pink but very bright gemstones from mexico. it also is quite hard on the mohs scale, 7 1/2 so it makes a durable ring stone. it seems to be gaining more popularity than quartz and rightfully so. it was first thought to be topaz because of the crytstal structor

the sharks tooth i bought at the mall of all places here in arizona, it would be worth more if it wasnt damaged on that one side.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 10:46 am

richardbenson wrote:
the sharks tooth i bought at the mall of all places here in arizona, it would be worth more if it wasnt damaged on that one side.

At the mall? Lucky find! And I see that--how sad about the damage. It looks like a fairly nicely sized tooth, though.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

31 Oct 2010, 11:00 am

yeah its probably about approching 6 inches from the undamaged side, to the tip.
most large sharks teeth i was talking to a collector are damaged. you hardly find them large and in mint condition.

here's my other fossil sharks tooth i have, from a lamar? shark. its about maybe 4 inches long

its in mint condition

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 11:33 am

richardbenson wrote:
IR, the difference between them, is danburite is an up and comming gemstone, while spodumene is the main sorce of pharmacutical lithium. (i think they ground it up, and extract the lithium to make medicine ) of course it also is a gemstone and goes by the names kunzite, and hiddenite pink and green respectively. that pirticular crystal is from pakistan

Danburite was first originally discoverd in danbury connecticut and is recieving alot of attention for its soft pink but very bright gemstones from mexico. it also is quite hard on the mohs scale, 7 1/2 so it makes a durable ring stone. it seems to be gaining more popularity than quartz and rightfully so. it was first thought to be topaz because of the crytstal structor

Thank you for answering my question! I learned something new today. :)

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

31 Oct 2010, 3:34 pm

you are welcome. for my next purchase i wanna get some more fire agates, one of my online friends bought the most beautiful one i've seen and it belongs in the smithsonian museaum

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 4:20 am

I'm down with the potassium feldspar.