Do you think you're a good person?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 1:45 pm

If so, why? If not, why?

What do you think a good person is, anyway?

Do you know any people you consider good?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 1:53 pm

A good person in my eyes is someone who is kind and gentle, who doesn't lie, cheat, steal, or hurt anyone. Someone who follows any rules they are given.

Using these criteria, I think that I am a good person. I also think that my parents are good people as well.

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 1:54 pm

^^Greetings happymusic.

I believe this is a very lovely and magical question. I believe I am very horrible. I believe that all individuals are as good as they can be, as all that they do, they do this as they feel this is the correct action to take based on their own lives and experiences (I believe this includes humans and also conscious non-humans).

^^ Indeed, the definition of "good" is debatable I believe.

I feel that my kitties are essentially murderers (I believe that "killers" is actually the correct term for me to use here, as "murder" defines only the killing of a human - yet, I personally feel that "killer" is not as emotive as "murderer".), as are livestock farmers. Yet I do not believe they are evil (I love my kitties very much). I feel that all individuals are good "at heart" and are very beautiful.

I am very sorry if I am incorrect.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 1:57 pm

in the role of a friend, yes. i'm friendly, honest to a fault, extremely helpful, don't say no to favors.
in the role of a citizen or to society, not too much. i work just enough to not get fired, i have no ambition of contributing anything to this world, i honestly don't care much about the environment, don't care to 'better' myself as some put it. am perfectly content to just leach off society in the shadows completely unnoticed.

People i consider good are a good handful of parents I know, people who really sacrifice a lot for their kids. Some sports figures, Walter Payton comes to mind, someone who not only made himself the best at what he did but his reputation for charity and friendship was even greater.

Truly good people to me are the ones who use the situations they are in to benifit others at no personal gain to themselves, and often times at great personal risk (runners in the underground railroad, people who helped hide their jewish friends during ww2 etc)

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 1:58 pm

Tomasu wrote:

^^ Indeed, the definition of "good" is debatable I believe.

Hi Tomasu - I agree with you here. I find all the different definitions interesting.

SuperApsie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2010, 2:20 pm

I am adaptive and passive good guy

The moments I go to someone trying to do what a good person would do are rare, it's really when I feel that he is in pain an no one else will do the first step or no one else is understanding. And sometimes I was disliked for this behavior in a friend circle, to someone who has been condemned by default.

On the other side if somebody comes to me, I'll listen and help if I can. I'll listen first because often, people will be wrong on how I can help them. I refused to listen twice in my life.

In the crowd, I do the effort to be cordial.

That was for my typical behavior, now when I look at my past through the aspie perspective, I am sure I hurt some people, but I'm not a bad guy though.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 2:29 pm

I think Im a mixture of good and bad qualities and I think everyone else is a mixture aswell. I think its unhelpful to devide people into good and bad as its labelling and dehumanising. I think we should recognise the complexity of people and their motivations and drives and not box people into categories of 'other' which is what I think calling someone a 'bad person' does.

I think good vs bad probably has it roots in abrahamic religions, but I prefer the eastern philosophy where everyone has a 'buddha' light within them even murderers and can 'water' the seeds of positivity or negativity equally in anyone. So for example if you watch and eat bad things you will bring out more of your bad qualities and if you eat good and have good experience it will bring out more of your positive qualities. We all have the same potential and same value we just alter what we are displaying to the outside world by the actions we do to ourselves which leads to what we do to others. I think the story of Angulimala excemplifies this as he went from being a mass murderer to being one of the best bodhisattvas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angulimala

Last edited by lotusblossom on 20 Nov 2010, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2010, 2:39 pm

I'm not horrible, but I'm not a saint either. I donate blood from time to time. To me, a good person is someone who does more than just behave. They have to be willing to make sacrifices for someone else's well-being. My mom is a good person.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 4:10 pm

"For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father."
Mosiah 3:19

That is how I feel about anyone trying to become a good person.
We are all trying (at least most people), and as long as we have good intentions, and follow the commandments, then we are a good person.

Am I a good person? I believe so, but I am not perfect, nobody can be. I am trying, and I definitely have my shortcomings, but the more I work on them, the better a person I will become.

Oh, and I know a lot of good people, but I know no perfect people.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 5:09 pm

take your god mumbo jumbo to the religious forum :roll:
I don't need commandments to tell me to be a good person

Solipsist
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Nov 2010, 5:12 pm

I can't really tell anyone that they're good or not. Good and bad are at the same end of the spectrum, and without a totally biased opinion on which is which, it's impossible to tell.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 5:19 pm

I'm a good person. I help others out, I'm gentle and caring and I stay out of arguements.

My best friend is a good person.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 5:30 pm

I think I'm too good. I was taught to make concession to humans, because they're majority and they should accept me. But I'm a human too, maybe not 100%, but I am, so I should be good to myself too. So I trust my common sense first, then people, they're too insincere.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 5:48 pm

I think that a good person has to be open-minded. They also have to be an all-around pleasant person to others, and help anybody who beseeches their help. I would like to think of myself as a good person, although sometimes I can be quite bitchy - but that's okay, because everybody has their bitchy moments, :lol:

Tomasu wrote:
I believe this is a very lovely and magical question. I believe I am very horrible. I believe that all individuals are as good as they can be, as all that they do, they do this as they feel this is the correct action to take based on their own lives and experiences (I believe this includes humans and also conscious non-humans).

I don't know you very well, but I think you're a very pleasant person. You shouldn't think of yourself as horrible. :wink:

Smike
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2010, 5:52 pm

Well I try and be a good person. I don't thinkI'm a bad person anyway

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 6:48 pm

I try to be a good person and I think that I largely succeed at it.

I think a good person is someone who treats others with respect even when he/she is of a different opinion than them or does not actually like them. I do not hold with needless namecalling or violence, though sometimes I cannot help it and vent my feelings with a bit of swearing or slamming doors shut.

I also think that a good person is somebody who does not cause deliberate harm or hurt to others. At the same time I am aware that there are times when it may be neccessary to defend the majority against deviant individuals that break this rule, but I think that the punishment should always be in proportion to the severity of the transgression.

A good person may also use white lies when it helps not to hurt other people's feelings. Other than that though I think that telling th truth should be generally preferred.