Page 3 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 5:35 am

Bartosz (or Bartek) is quite a popular name I'd say. Once I was in love with a boy called Bartosz :oops:

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 5:35 am

Irulan wrote:
Anneyce and Postures, how old were you when you moved out from Poland?

I was 9.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 7:41 am

FluffyDog wrote:
Just because I am curious and this seems to fit into this topic: our dog is named Bartosh (he already had that name when we got him) and I know that it is a first name that is given to some Polish men. But I would like to now how common that name is. Is it a popular name in Poland or was it given to the dog because there rarely are people called Bartosh anymore?

Bartosz is a common name but not a trite one - although it's a normal, ordinary name, you would find much more males who have more common names. Bartosz is quite an odd and unusual name for a dog though.

happymusic:

Her name was Iulia.

It's spelled as Julia. It's a name which recently came into fashion again and is the most common given name for a toddler in Poland now but in my generation it was uncommon. In the generations of my mom and gran it was neither common nor rare.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 12:14 pm

samsa wrote:
Large country in Eastern Europe that is very magnetic (because all the poles are there.)

Actually, it's in Central Europe.

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 12:43 pm

Thanks for the answers, Postures and Irulan. Maybe Bartosh was named after a friend or a relative of the man he used to live with in Poland. That would explain his name. I fear we messed up the spelling a bit, adapting it to what we Germans are more used to, but as long as a dog recognizes its name, the spelling is secondary, I reckon. :)

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 1:06 pm

It was the Poles who broke the top secret Nazi code first and shared that information with the British. Codebreaking was a major factor in Allied victory in World War II. Also, during the Battle of Britain many Polish pilots, even entire squadrons of Polish pilots in British fighter aircraft, continued their fight against the Nazis and scored very highly. The historically accurate 1969 film Battle of Britain includes the following scene:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXf1bhEEXd0[/youtube]

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 1:25 pm

He's from Axis Powers Hetalia. (I'm sorry, I don't have much...)

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 6:26 pm

Chopin stayed at a castle near me,Johnstone Castle,when he visited Scotland. The grounds were later used during WW2 as a camp for
Polish soldiers,possibly including some of those pilots involved in The Battle Of Britain. Since joining the EU,many Poles took the opportunity to came to work in the UK and some communities have seen shops introducing Polish food to cater for them.

Several American actors etc have some Polish ancestry including Stefanie Powers (born Stefania Federkiewicz),Marilu Henner,
Paul Newman,Natalie Portman,Neil Sedaka,Michelle Lee.

One of my favourite films is Being There,based on a story by Jerzy Kosinski.

Silhouette-Song
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Dec 2010, 8:22 pm

I've never left Canada but when I do I want to visit there because it sounds so pretty.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 8:17 am

pluto wrote:

Several American actors etc have some Polish ancestry including Stefanie Powers (born Stefania Federkiewicz),Marilu Henner,
Paul Newman,Natalie Portman,Neil Sedaka,Michelle Lee.

One of my favourite films is Being There,based on a story by Jerzy Kosinski.

Jared Padalecki also is of Polish origin - his last name stems from "padalec" which word means "blindworm" :twisted:

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 8:49 am

Musicians Marilyn Manson, Peter Steele or Karen O are of Polish descent too. And many other people.
Some of you use Max Factor's cosmetics. Max Factor was Polish, he was born in Łódź.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

samsa
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2010, 9:12 am

One-Winged-Angel wrote:
samsa wrote:
Large country in Eastern Europe that is very magnetic (because all the poles are there.)

Actually, it's in Central Europe.

Always thought it was in Eastern Europe, although it's really just an arbitrary distinction.

(and the joke doesn't work if it's in Central Europe :P )

Dalton_Man321
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2010, 9:23 am

I like your sausages.

anneyce
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Dec 2010, 10:10 am

samsa wrote:
One-Winged-Angel wrote:
Always thought it was in Eastern Europe, although it's really just an arbitrary distinction. (...)

It was considered Eastern Europe during the cold war though.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 12:15 pm

Irulan wrote:
Do you know anything about our country? :) Maybe any famous people or events from our history? :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DrXgj1NwN8 This is the animated history of Poland - no words at all, just images - if you have any questions about the things presented in the clip, just ask :D

:( I wish my great grandparents were still alive to tell me more about Poland. :( They immigrated to Upstate NY and worked on a family farm. My grandfather and his siblings were all born in upstate NY and growing up him and his siblings all spoke English or Polish. When my grandfather was in his 20s he didn't speak Polish much so he never had to chance to ever teach me.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 12:43 pm

My great grandma who died 7 years before I was born, planned on living in the USA with her fiance but finally she didn't marry him and stayed in her village.