How do you think foreigners perceive your country?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

samsa
Toucan
Toucan

11 Dec 2010, 6:46 am

I'll start (Australia.)

Either laid back, relativity outgoing people, with a strong undercurrent of racism (this is generally true, sadly.)

Or this (totally false.)

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 7:29 am

Foreigners seem to perceive the United States as being very socially backwards, and populated by people who are fat and stupid.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 7:38 am

Canada first: Canadians are very polite and peaceful people, and we live in igloos all year round.

Britain next: British people are strong and independent, and they never cry. Yeah, right! Try saying that to Ray Davies and Mick Avory. :lol:

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 7:48 am

Depending if we came over there subjegated your people and raped your countries resources for it was worth during our empire days you may not have a terribly high opinion of us :lol:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 2:35 pm

Foreigners probably perceive Americans as being fat, ignorant, egotistical, materialistic and shallow. Unless they've been exposed to our reality shows, then they'd probably perceive us as being hot, ignorant, egotistical, materialistic and shallow.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 2:38 pm

which it is

people usually think Canada has winter all year round
which is wrong, we have it for about 6-7 months

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 2:55 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Britain next: British people are strong and independent, and they never cry. Yeah, right! Try saying that to Ray Davies and Mick Avory. :lol:

Stereotypes about Brits:
- pregnant teens;
- drunk people pissing on the streets;
- loud and bad-mannered.

Sorry.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 3:01 pm

yeah my whole mom's side is scottish, won't get into whats up with them lol

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 3:48 pm

Valoyossa wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Stereotypes about Brits:
- pregnant teens;
- drunk people pissing on the streets;
- loud and bad-mannered.

Sorry.

Huh. I've always thought the British were stereotyped to be reserved and "cultured." (We all know that's not true, but I thought that was the stereotype anyway.)

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 3:56 pm

I think many people from other countries perceive Germany as a land of lederhosen and sauerkraut, but that is mostly Southern Germany. I think there is also some stereotypes about Germans always trying to be on time and being diligent scientific-minded people going around. Those are closer to the truth. Not all of us are engineers, of course, but many like to work away at a problem until they think they have solved it to the best of their abilities.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 3:57 pm

British people are all posh, they all sip tea, they all call each other "chap", and they all know the Queen! :lol:

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 5:18 pm

After watching foreign tv (Russia Today, BBC, Foodtv uk, etc) They perceive America as a popular destination but lacking in freedoms with a "practice what you preach" approach. Strong civil rights abuses, and think McDonald's and Starbucks are the standard for quality and natural for most American's to have. Russia Today constantly has the US in the new's, with a strong popular influence in Moscow of American culture. They didn't understand what a cup cake was, then went on to explain it's origins and how it was relatively new to them (post Soviet collapse I guess). I always hear jokes poke fun at obese people in America on all networks. I guess it's understandable to be envious.. the reporter on Russia today was eating at a "American bar and grill" in Moscow and couldn't get over how big the hamburger was .. even though it was relatively small (so was the cup cakes). Overall though, I think the opinion of the world on actual American's are positive. They love our culture, but have disconnect towards our government which is understandable. Also I'd like to note that Amanda Knox is always headlines in the UK and Italy, while we don't hear 1 thing about her here in the States.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 6:07 pm

With their various sense organs.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 6:15 pm

I know how I percieve American beliefs on World War 2. Its shocking that American teachers tell their pupils and students what they tell them about the war. Its also obscenely disgusting too.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 6:29 pm

Craig28 wrote:
I know how I percieve American beliefs on World War 2. Its shocking that American teachers tell their pupils and students what they tell them about the war. Its also obscenely disgusting too.

This is quite a cryptic post. What is it that American teachers tell their pupils about World War 2?
And where are you from yourself?

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 7:29 pm

Hrmm,there are certainly a lot of stereotypes about the US.And not mention Hawai'i! everything automatically asks if you surf or live near the beach!
But for the most part,people are very liberal and broad minded in the places where I've traveled.They aren't limited to narrow minded stereotypes of the US,where as in comparison quite a few people here have limited views of other countries: the Dutch ride bikes,everyone knows about Van Gogh (correct pronunciation is Van Hoh,not Van Go),eats cheese.Quite a few people don't even know where Croatia is ("is that in Asia?" 8O), and everyone seems to think all you do in France is eat croissants,have sex and eat chocolate,and that the language is tough. :roll: ...there is ignorance in every country,then again there are open minded and curious individuals.Luckily I have met many of the latter,and consider myself as one.