Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 12:03 pm

Okay, really bored now. I wonder if anyone has experienced communication with or visual imagry of loved ones or aquaintances after they have passed away?

Years ago I had a boyfriend, not a close boyfriend but a person who I dated, who died a tragic death very young. About a week after he died I was in my bedroom laid on the bed and I felt without looking that someone had entered the room. I sensed the person walk across the room and sit down at the edge of the bed. This happened very quickly so I didn't have time to turn to respond. I also felt a sense of peace or total calm about it. The person sat down at the edge of the bed, I heard a small sigh, and knew it was my boyfriend who had died. He sighed and put his hand on my back and rested like that for a moment. And then the feeling disappeared.

My partner claims that he saw his grandmother in the bathroom after she passed away.

My ex-partner claims that his deceased mother appeared to him when a semi he was driving almost ran off the road. He said that she appeared beside him in the seat as real as if she had been alive. He actually cried about it because it was such an incredible experience for him.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 6:24 pm

I think my grandma may visit me every now and then. one time about 1.5 years ago i think she put her hand on my head when i was crying. my door was locked and my hands were near my sides.

I'm pretty sure it was her.

emp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2006, 4:30 am

It is a symptom of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). i.e. it is psychological. To quote the Australian Centre for Post-traumatic Mental Health, "Most people who experience trauma will have some kind of psychological reaction -- this is part of a normal human reaction to overwhelming experiences."

Quote:
MANUAL FROM THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION:
MENTAL HEALTH AND PSYCHOSOCIAL CARE FOR CHILDREN AFFECTED BY NATURAL DISASTERS

Post Trauma Symptoms In Children
Reliving the Trauma

In traumatised children, reliving may occur in:

* Repetitive play that re-enacts the trauma
* Distressing dreams of the event that may evolve into general nightmares of monsters or of threats to self or significant others
* In cases of traumatic loss, children often report experiencing "ghosts" of loved ones
* Disorganised or agitated behaviour
* Preoccupation with other traumatic events

-- http://www.wfmhdisasterresponse.org/Inf ... ources.asp
or
-- http://www.acpmh.unimelb.edu.au/about/brochures/Trauma_Reactions_in_Children(general).pdf

Quote:
PTSD comprises three main groups of problems; they can be categorised under the headings of intrusive, avoidant, and arousal symptoms.

Intrusive Symptoms
Memories and images of the traumatic events may "intrude" into the lives of individuals with PTSD. This can happen in vivid daytime memories, as well as in dreams and "flashback" experiences. For people with PTSD, it may seem as though the present has become dominated by the past.

-- http://www.acpmh.unimelb.edu.au/mentalh ... ptoms.html