Do you have any food/eating-related quirks?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

28 Jul 2010, 1:10 pm

Mealtime, whether it be for sustenance, socialization, or adventure, is a big part of our lives.

As an AS, have you noticed any non-typical quirks you have regarding eating, whether it be texture, flavor, or the rituals involved in eating itself?

For myself, I always found it odd that people would take one bite of one thing, two bites of something else, soaking one's roll in the gravy, etc. I eat things one at a time, period, usually in the order of things I like the most first, hence my eating dessert first in the cafeteria at school, which was the first time my eating wasn't controlled by my mother. I also eat quickly and am done with my a huge plate full of food by the time my parents are transitioning between the appetizer and main course, leaving me to sit fidgeting while they eat for another hour.

My tastebuds also seem to be "muffled", whereby I have to eat things that are unpleasant or even painful for most people to even be able to taste them. Growing up, I ate habaneros by the jar. I'm currently at a stage when I put hot sauce on everything, and whenever I'm with my parents at a drive-thru, I have to vigilantly remind my dad to order some type of condiment, as I can't just eat things dry and "flavorless". I also get criticized at nicer restaurants for putting eight packs of sweetener in a (supposedly, already) "sweet" tea.

Some of the gals in the women's corner remarked on a possible correlation between Aspergers and eating disorders, which as a former anorexic and current struggling binge-eater, I can relate to.

Sorry to write a novel. I hadn't realized my habits were so strange until thinking to write this! :o

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 1:13 pm

I hate most foods. I am really picky, but I just cannot eat most of it.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 1:24 pm

i refuse to eat any kind of animal organs, i fund them disgusting.

liver, chicken gizzards/hearts, tripe, rocky mountain oysters, etc.

aside from that though, i'm not all too picky

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 3:10 pm

I usually eat my food one at a time as well, going from my least favorite to most favorite. I make exceptions every now and then, like when the two foods go well mixed together. I'm a pretty slow eater. :lol:

Also, I despise corn. I cannot stand the taste of it, the smell of it, or even the sight of it.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 3:53 pm

i'm a really slow eater :bounce:

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 9:21 am

I don't have any food quirks.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 9:30 am

All my burgers have to be from McDonald's.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 9:39 am

I hate eating noodles with forks.

CinnamonGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2011, 12:28 pm

I have a lot of eating/food related quirks. When I was a child, I couldn't eat anything that was green, and that lasted until I was in my early 20's. These days, the only things that are green that I eat are romaine lettuce, spinach and green spices/herbs. I can't eat any vegetables except corn, potatoes and onions. I like apples and grapes, not not really any other fruits. Sometimes I could have a bite of something else, but that's usually my limit. There are a couple exceptions, or instances where I eat something I normally can't.

This week, I made a cottage pie, and really wanted my son to eat some carrots since I make a very concerted effort to make sure he eats a healthy diet, even if I don't. I can't eat carrots(texture, flavour, negative past experiences), but I mixed them into the whipped potatoes, and the tastes of the other foods that I like was enough to mask the flavour, even though I could see it in there, I couldn't taste it. But I could never get a plain cooked or raw carrot into myself otherwise. I start gagging as soon as it's in my mouth. I cry if I have to chew it and I have to swallow a mouth full of water in order to swallow the carrot. This is my physical response to most foods.

I have a very limited diet because of all my 'food hang-ups'. But, I could eat copious amounts of meat(just not baby animals or anything that lives in water)! I am also a junk food junkie...I love chocolate, salty foods and generally anything that is unhealthy for my body.

Wow...writing this post really let me see how funny this all might sound on the outside, but to me, these problems are quite real. I've been hiding my dysfunctional relationship with food for so long, that I feel strangely vulnerable being honest about it...especially on a public forum!

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 12:41 pm

I'm a really fast eater. I used to sometimes finish dinner in about a minute. It's getting better, though.

I sometimes eat dinner for breakfast.

I'll try anything. I've even tried edible bugs.

I didn't like dressing on my salad until I was eleven.

When I was ten, I wouldn't eat anything with tomato sauce.

I used to eat way too much, and I'm glad I broke the habit.

Now I eat less than most people. Sometimes I'll go for a day with no snacks between meals because I don't get hungry. I think stress keeps me from being hungry. I'm healthy, though.

However, I always feel like eating. If it wasn't bad for me, I'd eat all day long and I'd eat two bowls of ice cream every day (that's why I'm IceCreamGirl.)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Jan 2011, 1:34 pm

I'm a very picky eater.
I tend to eat fast.
I eat one thing till it's gone before moving on to the next food.
I'm picky about temperature of things sometimes. Food others tend to like hot; I find too hot to eat. I burned my mouth lots of times.

I have lots of OCD issues with food & eating. I almost always have to have the TV when I'm eating by myself here. I sometimes spend more time channel surfing trying to find something to to watch than I do eating.
I also like eating by myself unless we're eating out or it's something my mom cooked. I wait to eat when I'm hungry sometimes because I want to wait till my mom's no longer in the kitchen before I go in there. I find my mom's sometimes critical about the way I do things & I'm very uncomfortable heating up food & lots of other things around her. It's more of an anxiety issue for me than her actually being critical. If she tells me anything at all even if she's just suggesting something; I get very defensive, upset I can sometimes start a big argument.
I do not like defrosting food in the microwave. Even thou I'm hungry; I'll wait a couple hours for it to defrost on it's one before I put it in. I find the microwave doesn't cook it rite unless it's defrosted on it's on; it's like it cooks it while it's frozen because it's hard in spots. If my mom heats something up in there it's OK but when I do it even thou I do the exact same thing she does; it does not cook it rite for me.
I'm picky about food not being overcooked; I do NOT like burnt food.
I do not like liquid food either. I do not eat soups, stews ect. I don't like spaghetti sauce that is really liquidy either.
I like eating out & I do not cook; I mostly reheat thigns or eat snacks/junk. I eat a lot when i eat somewhere or when my mom cooks something. I'll waitl till late in the evening to eat sometimes even thou I'm hungry in the morning because I can eat out latter or my mom's cooking something latter.
My mom often says I'm lazy & dependent because I do not cook & I do NOT want to learn. I have really bad motor-skills & it tends to take me a lot longer to do things others can. The OCD really slows me down & I get very frustrated & stressed out.

I can go a while without eating but 1ce I start eating; I'll eat quite a lot as if food is available. It's like I have little self-control 1ce I start eating sometimes. When I was working I would leave the house without eating & work 9 hours not counting my hour lunch break & I'd only eat a couple snakes unless I had a better option.
I also used to get really caught up in doing stuff on computer or something sometiems & even thou I was hungry & had food available; I had to literally force myself to eat a couple bites because I didn't want to be eating & i was so anxious to get back on comp. When I had issues with depression years ago; I would literally eat only a couple crackers a day or a couple bites of food for about a week because that was all I could force down but the next week I was constantly hungry

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 02 Jan 2011, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 3:38 pm

I don't even know I am hungry unless I am starving.

I tend to eat one thing at a time and then I go to the next food.

I eat fast.

I eat the same things over and over because it's easier than trying to decide what to have.

I like having pasta for every dinner when I cook on my own. It's usually mac and cheese if I have any.

I have eaten left overs for breakfast or have a cake or ice cream.

I am prone to over eating when there is lot of food and then I feel sick. I have gotten better at it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 4:08 pm

I like to eat foods that are very spicy. My motto is, "If it doesn't make me want to cry, it's not spicy enough." One of my favorite foods is Maruchan brand Hot & Spicy Yakisoba because it's so hot it makes my eardrums burn. I buy jars of jalapenos and put them on pizza, burgers, Hot Pockets, bean dip and just about anything else you can eat for lunch/dinner and sometimes even things you can eat for breakfast.

I'm told that when I was a child, I only ate white foods such as cheeses, bread, milk, oatmeal, etc.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 11:23 pm

I eat my Smarties, one colour at a time.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 3:12 am

the lions' share of my food has to have cheese or some other kind of dairy product on or in it. for example, a sandwich must have a slice of cheese or a spreading of cheese on a slice of the bread. a stew or casserole must have some cheese or other dairy product on or in it. only soups are immune to the cheese, most of the time.
when i eat sandwiches, i always eat them in circles, consuming the yucky crust first so i don't have to worry about it anymore- this frees me to better enjoy the yummy middle without being bothered by any more crust.
tomato seeds/jelly is a no-no, and if there are raw tomatoes on something i'm eating, i will dissect the jelly and seeds right into the compost bin. when i slice a tomato and see the glistening quivering jelly and seeds, it is as though i have sliced into a living animal thing and it grosses me out.

raw onions are nasty. plain and simple.
olives to me are poisonously foul. to me they taste like metallic rubber vinegar concentrate, and their foul essense contaminates all the food around them, e.g., if they are cooked into a pizza they ruin the flavor of the whole pizza even with the olives all plucked out.
cucumbers to me, taste like old moldy milk, and they have an unpleasant crunchy texture, like eating plasticized rubber.
caraway seeds have an unpleasant moldy/minty flavor, and they hurt like wang when they get stuck in my teeth. raspberry seeds also hurt my teeth, so i will not eat anything containing whole raspberries. when i eat cherry pie, i eat it very carefully because on 3 separate occasions i have broken teeth on hidden cherry pits that the pie maker neglected to remove before cooking. this is a low-down dirty shame because cherry pie is my favorite.

veggies mixed with fruits are a perverse combo, IMHO, because they are mixing sweet and salty flavors which to me is disappetizing. i have only recently learned to tolerate the flavor of ham and pineapple- it took me decades to reach this point.
i LOVE raw dough, and left to my own devices will eat mass quantities, so i have to avoid it. i can't eat sugary things in more than sample amounts because they make my teeth hurt [i have a mouth full of amalgam fillings and caps].
i have TMJ so i can't eat anything too chewy or crunchy. when i forget, my jaw reminds me with a nasty dislocation or loud and painful "GRUNCH!" i have weak teeth so i can't eat anything too hard/crunchy. i have to avoid sticky/chewy because such food tends to suck out my caps, and i hate to go to the dentist to have them re-glued-in. so no jerky or taffy or caramels for me. i miss the jerky.

deadinhead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 5:55 pm

would not eating things from the outside if they come in packs count as a food quirk...?
e.g. easy slice cheese pack of twenty ,or bread...I wont eat anything from three from the outside cheese slice(full crust bread).
I also will not eat apples,seldom oranges...bannanas are okay...I detest sproats,turnip,parsnip,broccali, generally every vegetabe that is green :lol: ...(strange that my fav. colour is green :P )I do like carrots though and roast potatoes but not mashed potatoes...
for lunch everyday I always have a sandwich and I usually have the same thing in it...If I dont have a sandwich I wont eat anything for lunch...
I love junk food...maybe too much hahaha...
I hate stews...chunky soups...soups with celery... :? :(
8O YUCK!

I will not eat yougart anymore because sometimes they look really watery and ,just,ew.
I dont drink tea hot...actually everybody says my tea looks like hot milk rather than tea because I pour it in so much to cool it down... :P

COCONUT-MOON TURTLE!