Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2011, 9:54 am

I was sleeping and I woke up at some point to put on some music and I heard the music in my dream perfectly and I was imagining a whole scene around the songs I heard. Was good because it was a live album.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 10:00 am

Being half-asleep is all that I can think of.
Were you thinking it might have a medical name or something?

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2011, 10:05 am

Something like that, maybe some weird meditation name.
Something along the same lines as astral projection and all of that.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 10:11 am

Dream entrainment? Guided dreaming?

I've heard that you can talk sleeping people into dreaming about certain things, but never really tried it.

What's happening outside the dream can certainly influence it's content though.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 4:42 pm

If you've manipulated your dreams with music, that sounds like a type of lucid dream.

Either that, or you've mastered inception ;)

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 5:32 pm

I think incorporating music into one's dreams is not terribly uncommon. I've done it on a number of occasions and I've heard more than one person complain of not being able to use music for an alarm clock because they'll simply start dreaming about the song rather than have it wake them. I have no idea if there's a name for doing this, though.

countfred
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2011, 5:39 pm

Do you eat mushrooms for desert?

Kidding

I listen to classical music lately when I go to bed
That 1st hour or so of trying to sleep is so fun
Darkness
Soothing music
Hearing every motion of the instrument
Tangent
I have a radio I found That is crank powered
Or Solar when the suns out
So if the battery is dea
I use the cranking as a relaxation method
And then the sweet payoff is music for sleepy time

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 12:20 am

That happens to me sometimes when I leave music on while I sleep. Usually, though, the music in my dreams is unique and comes on its own. It's always better than anything I hear while awake, but I mostly forget what it sounded like when I wake up.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 12:22 am

Asp-Z wrote:
If you've manipulated your dreams with music, that sounds like a type of lucid dream.

Either that, or you've mastered inception ;)
Loved that movie.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 3:29 am

Yes there is a name for it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 3:54 am

Wombat wrote:
Yes there is a name for it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

Hypnagogia is the state of semi-sleep/semi-wakefulness. It doesn't seem to refer to the phenomenon of incorporating music and other external auditory information into one's dreams.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 7:53 am

One-Winged-Angel wrote:
That happens to me sometimes when I leave music on while I sleep. Usually, though, the music in my dreams is unique and comes on its own. It's always better than anything I hear while awake, but I mostly forget what it sounded like when I wake up.

Dream music is amazing.

Nier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2011, 5:36 am

Plywood wrote:
I was sleeping and I woke up at some point to put on some music and I heard the music in my dream perfectly and I was imagining a whole scene around the songs I heard. Was good because it was a live album.

I've had a similar experience Plywood, but mine came from my radio switching on to wake me up & the news item being read out I heard in my dream.

In my dream I was having yet another scary adventure & was hiding in an attic room under a table from some baddies out to get me, then I heard a radio in my dream announcing something like 'the hostages who have been captive for 25 days will be released today' & in my dream, under that table in the attic room I thought to myself "Huh? i've not been in here that long". I woke up soon after & realised what had happened.

I also get the creative composition for music, poems, songs, stories in my dreams - I just wish I could transcribe them to waking life! That would be an invention worth having...

Inception was such an interesting film to me too. I love dreams as I can often manipulate them to make them more interesting, i've flown helicopters, spaceships, had heroic adventures like starring in my own action film, ran up buildings like spiderman...woohooo great fun ! :D It's like immersive gaming, but better, because you get to *actually* feel like it's real.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 8:45 am

I've had that happen tons of times...

I hate though when the radio plays news in the morning, or if my TV wakes me up to news and I sleep through it...I'll always have these terrible nightmares about bad news :x

Moog wrote:
I've heard that you can talk sleeping people into dreaming about certain things, but never really tried it.

I've done it before, it's pretty hilarious. My friend was sleeping once and I told him to run away, and keep running, and never stop...and he said that's exactly what happened right in the middle of his dream.