Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 1:59 pm

I only eat stupid and ugly animals. I figure I am doing them a favor.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 8:16 pm

It's a pity they lie to people to try, to try raise awareness of what are actually important enough issues. :?
That said, I like meat to much to quit.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

08 Jan 2011, 9:08 pm

ROFL @ PETA being militant.
I think PETA stands for a great cause, and their campaigns make a difference and raise consciousness.
That being said, their activist front is a bunch of upper middle class hipsters who go leafleting.
If that's militant, I wonder what I would be considered,
having been involved in direct-action illegal animal rescues. :roll:

The original post was quite moronic.
Plants lack conscious sentience and a central nervous system,
meaning there's no basis on any front to suppose either pain as we know it
or the ability to prefer protection from it from which an ethical right might arise.

Whereas the vast majority of animals differ not a whit from the capacities for physical and psychological suffering as do you or I.

Unless you honestly thinking stabbing a potato is analogous with stabbing a dog. 8O

Last edited by Bethie on 09 Jan 2011, 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 10:42 pm

PETA is an extreme terrorist group that uses scare tactics to convert everyone to veganism!
And to make things wore, they're a bunch of hypocrites too!
They kill thousands of pets because they consider keeping any animal (even domesticated ones) to be cruelty!

Down with PETA!
Support the ASPCA if you really care about animal rights!

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

09 Jan 2011, 6:26 am

_Square_Peg_ wrote:
PETA is an extreme terrorist group that uses scare tactics to convert everyone to veganism!
And to make things wore, they're a bunch of hypocrites too!
They kill thousands of pets because they consider keeping any animal (even domesticated ones) to be cruelty!

Down with PETA!
Support the ASPCA if you really care about animal rights!

ROFL you're delusional. Either that or ignorant.

"Terrorist group". :lol:

Oh, totally, holding signs on a sidewalk and the occasional nude advertisement is "terrorism",
not the corporations that torture and kill animals by the BILLIONS.

Uh-huh. :lol:

Btw, they euthanize thousands of animals AS DOES THE ASPCA because people refuse to stop buying from breeders and refuse to fix their own animals. I'd far prefer a humane euthanization for an animal than being ripped apart in a dog fight, scalded to death in a chicken factory farm, or burned with chemicals and disected alive in a laboratory- all situations PETA has rescued animals from.

ASPCA is not for animal rights at ALL, but for animal welfare,
and their campaigns to date have primarily been focused on domestic animals,
while ignoring the billions who suffer and die at the hands of corporations that use them to make products.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 6:43 am

Who wants milk? I do! I do!

PanoramaIsland
Raven
Raven

09 Jan 2011, 7:51 am

Just because you don't like a tactic does not mean it's terrorism. For that matter, just because a tactic is violent doesn't mean it's terrorism.

Terrorism is violence for the purpose of striking fear into one's enemy, particularly civilians, in service to a political goal. PETA are not terrorists, and the Animal Liberation Front and Earth Liberation Front, with whom PETA sometimes associates, are not terrorists either. They are arsonists and monkeywrenchers, certainly - but arson and sabotage without intent to terrorize one's targets do not count as terrorism. ALF saboteurs take measures to make sure that nobody is harmed when they burn an animal testing lab, including calling in warnings and clearing security guards and other remaining personnel away from the building. Their intent is to destroy the lab, not to intimidate and spread fear.

PETA and ALF/ELF are not terrorists, whether you like what they do or not.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 10:47 am

PanoramaIsland wrote:
Just because you don't like a tactic does not mean it's terrorism. For that matter, just because a tactic is violent doesn't mean it's terrorism.

Terrorism is violence for the purpose of striking fear into one's enemy, particularly civilians, in service to a political goal. PETA are not terrorists, and the Animal Liberation Front and Earth Liberation Front, with whom PETA sometimes associates, are not terrorists either. They are arsonists and monkeywrenchers, certainly - but arson and sabotage without intent to terrorize one's targets do not count as terrorism. ALF saboteurs take measures to make sure that nobody is harmed when they burn an animal testing lab, including calling in warnings and clearing security guards and other remaining personnel away from the building. Their intent is to destroy the lab, not to intimidate and spread fear.

PETA and ALF/ELF are not terrorists, whether you like what they do or not.

QFT.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 3:12 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
That organization makes me want to enjoy a Prime Rib and a tall glass of milk.

Ahh the evils people are capable of when it's socially acceptable. :roll:

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 5:49 pm

Even they aren't terrorists their protesting techniques are still obnoxious as hell.

Silhouette-Song
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jan 2011, 6:40 pm

Anicho wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

You sir are insensitive.

MONKEY wrote:
mimsy123 wrote:
You know, I once heard about someone who went so vegan they stopped eating yeast because it's alive.

Whaaaaaaa? 8O
Even PETA members would find that silly.

I'm quite tempted to go to a PETA meeting and start plucking a chicken.
Sometimes they have good ideas like wanting to ban animal circuses but they are mental cases when it comes to food. I think a chicken would have a much harder time being savaged to death by a tiger or something than instantly killed by a farmer chopping its head off.
The only animal I wouldn't eat though would be one that's endangered and it's endangered status was a result of human activity or one that's very closely related to us.

Insensitive.

Tim_Tex wrote:
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

Insensitive

MONKEY wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

PETA = Pets Eating Tasty Activists :P

Insensitive, once again.

I didn't know aspies are so insensitive to not know how still could be offensive? I wonder if this disqualifies my diagnosis, the mockery of this organisation that wants to raise awareness for a moral and ethical cause!

People have rights to their opinions, and saying "aspies are so insensitive" is a blanket statement. I dont' like PETA and I'm NT.

PanoramaIsland
Raven
Raven

09 Jan 2011, 11:22 pm

Subotai wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Ahh the evils people are capable of when it's socially acceptable. :roll:

Isn't it amazing the amount of people who post to threads like this just to effectively shout that they don't HAVETA think about the ethics of their eating habits, goddammit, and EVNIORMENTALSISTS AR STOOPIT!! !! and such?
Sadly, "PETA is stupid, therefore all arguments in favor of improving our treatment of animals are hooey" seems to be a popularly accepted line of argument.

Steampunk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jan 2011, 11:25 pm

If animals kill other animals for food, is that evil? Assuming morality is predefined, how would something natural be immoral? Whether we like it or not, animals are a renewable resource.

Of course, hunting for the sake of sport is completely different. I see how people feel this should be out-lawed, and by all means hope they continue to think this way simply to preserve free speech.

PanoramaIsland
Raven
Raven

09 Jan 2011, 11:55 pm

MONKEY wrote:
Even they aren't terrorists their protesting techniques are still obnoxious as hell.

This is true.

Steampunk

10 Jan 2011, 12:37 am

This type of protest is fine.

PanoramaIsland
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2011, 1:20 am

If any of you are interested in a bit of intellectual stimulation, Philosophy Bites has a brief audio interview with the utilitarian moral philosopher Peter Singer on the ethics of using animals for food, testing and other purposes. He's a very logical arguer, perhaps on the reductionist side of things but certainly not the "frothing vegan" stereotype, and is considered to have been one of the founders of the animal rights movement with his book Animal Liberation in the '70s.
http://philosophybites.com/2008/05/peter-singer-on.html