Does anyone hate having there feet tied down?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 9:17 pm

Duh! A ton of people dislike being tied down but I'm not exactly referring to that. I've done bone scans and MRIs and both experiences I've had my feet strapped and it drove me crazy and it actually hurts my feet. (I walk crooked) so having someone straighten them,and strap them down actually causes me pain. It actually hurts. This is just for simple presetures that are 30min.-1hr. (For the MRI I fidgeted my feet the best I could despite the guy telling me to stay still.) I was curious if others have similar experiences. Thanks.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 11:09 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
(For the MRI I fidgeted my feet the best I could despite the guy telling me to stay still.)

Maybe this is why they strapped your feet down? I had an MRI of my knee once and there were no straps involved. I just stayed still. Likewise when they did my head.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 5:17 am

i am somewhat clausterphobic, so the mere thought of any kind of restraint is almost more than i can handle thinking about.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 7:21 am

auntblabby wrote:
i am somewhat clausterphobic, so the mere thought of any kind of restraint is almost more than i can handle thinking about.

You and me both, auntblabby.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 7:29 am

KyleTheGhost wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Same here ... and next week I am scheduled to have a cardiovascular stress test induced via chemicals over which I will have no control.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 12:03 pm

leejosepho wrote:
KyleTheGhost wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Same here ... and next week I am scheduled to have a cardiovascular stress test induced via chemicals over which I will have no control.

i hope you can bring a good person along for handholding at least. just being able to squeeze the dickens out of somebody's hand when i'm in pain makes a world of difference.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Jan 2011, 1:10 pm

The thought of being restrained in any way is terror to me. I once had to coerce a surgeon into NOT tying my hands and feet, and that was the only way I was willing to have the procedure. I am also terrified of any kind of sedation or general anesthetics, and I wanted the surgery with only local anesthetic. The doctor finally agreed after I agreed to have an IV inserted & ready for sedation in case I suddenly changed my mind, and to have wrist and ankle straps positioned but not fastened. I cooperated perfectly and amazed him.. No need for anything to be buckled or administered. There was a little girl I read about at a local hospital who tore the ligaments off her own bones trying to get free from medical restraints. It's no laughing matter, and I pray that medical, fire & rescue, and law enforcement personnel are educated on this. I think it's very clearly an Asperger's/Autism trait, and it's not something that we can control in ourselves. There was also a case not long ago, where an Aspie killed a nurse accidentally with her bare hands, when the nurse was trying to apply restraints in the emergency room.

It's my guess, that this is probably an extension of the fairly common Aspie/Autism trait of not wanting unexpected touch, or invasion of personal space. If someone suddenly tries to hug me or pat me on the shoulder, they're most likely to get the elbow in the ribs as a first response, even if it's a close friend. It's not anything I can control easily, and I know that probably sounds goofy to NT people. Even if it's a friend or relative, and the hug/pat is totally expected, I still flinch and tens up, and cower back.

Charles

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 1:29 pm

Frankly, I'm "allergic" to all medical procedures that make the doctor comfortable while making me uncomfortable. I won't be strapped down for one of those "let's just make sure" tests, especially if I feel it's more about paying for the machine than preserving my health. And I almost always feel that's the case.

kx250rider's long post demonstrates how inappropriate common medical procedures may be for someone on the spectrum, and this has long concerned me. There will come a day in the not too distant future when I will be unable to walk away from procedures I don't like. It will be a matter of submit or die, and that makes me feel totally helpless.

Last edited by the_curmudge on 12 Jan 2011, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 1:41 pm

kx250rider wrote:
The thought of being restrained in any way is terror to me.

Yes. I have done a treadmill stress test twice, but I knew I could just stop at any time even though a doctor might not have been pleased by my doing so. In contrast, having the "nuclear" (chemical-induced) version done via an IV while flat on my back (and even if without straps) leaves me in a no-escape situation completely controlled by someone other than myself ... kind of like a "lethal injection" scenario even though death is not the actual goal.

But, maybe they will give me a couple of Valium beforehand ...

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 1:41 pm

kx250rider wrote:
The thought of being restrained in any way is terror to me. I once had to coerce a surgeon into NOT tying my hands and feet, and that was the only way I was willing to have the procedure. I am also terrified of any kind of sedation or general anesthetics, and I wanted the surgery with only local anesthetic. The doctor finally agreed after I agreed to have an IV inserted & ready for sedation in case I suddenly changed my mind, and to have wrist and ankle straps positioned but not fastened. I cooperated perfectly and amazed him.. No need for anything to be buckled or administered. There was a little girl I read about at a local hospital who tore the ligaments off her own bones trying to get free from medical restraints. It's no laughing matter, and I pray that medical, fire & rescue, and law enforcement personnel are educated on this. I think it's very clearly an Asperger's/Autism trait, and it's not something that we can control in ourselves. There was also a case not long ago, where an Aspie killed a nurse accidentally with her bare hands, when the nurse was trying to apply restraints in the emergency room.

It's my guess, that this is probably an extension of the fairly common Aspie/Autism trait of not wanting unexpected touch, or invasion of personal space. If someone suddenly tries to hug me or pat me on the shoulder, they're most likely to get the elbow in the ribs as a first response, even if it's a close friend. It's not anything I can control easily, and I know that probably sounds goofy to NT people. Even if it's a friend or relative, and the hug/pat is totally expected, I still flinch and tens up, and cower back.

Interesting. I have no problem with anasthetic but like you the thought of being strapped down freaks me out.

Charles

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 2:33 pm

leejosepho wrote:
kx250rider wrote:
The thought of being restrained in any way is terror to me.

Yes. I have done a treadmill stress test twice, but I knew I could just stop at any time even though a doctor might not have been pleased by my doing so. In contrast, having the "nuclear" (chemical-induced) version done via an IV while flat on my back (and even if without straps) leaves me in a no-escape situation completely controlled by someone other than myself ... kind of like a "lethal injection" scenario even though death is not the actual goal.

But, maybe they will give me a couple of Valium beforehand ...

I had vallium before a surgery since IV's freak me out. They rolled me under the operating light I sat straight up they asked what's wrong I said I fealt like I was going to puke (and I did.) NO more valliums for me!! !

Dalton_Man321
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2011, 5:54 pm

As long as it's not against my will I don't mind it.

In fact when I was getting warts removed from my feet, the numbing injections hurt so bad I actually requested someone to hold my legs down in case my legs wig out and I end up hurting myself.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 6:00 pm

Yes, it always reminds me of my previous life in which I was a mobster who ended that life with a nice pair of cement shoes on my feet :twisted:

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 1:27 am

[quote="leejosepho"
Same here ... and next week I am scheduled to have a cardiovascular stress test induced via chemicals over which I will have no control.[/quote]

I have done that. They made me run on a treadmill. No big deal.

Then there is another test where you have to hold still while they run you through a big magnet doughnut shaped thing.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 1:30 am

Yeah, I freak out when I'm not able to move. I freak out just thinking about it. :oops:

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 8:26 am

dunbots wrote:
Yeah, I freak out when I'm not able to move. I freak out just thinking about it. :oops:

OMG! Me too!! !! I had a doctor who was going to do a surgery and I thought oh no big deal. WRONG! It was supposed to be a major surgery I'd be in traction and immobale for 2 weeks since my pelvic bone would be broke. I started crying hysterically he asked what's wrong I told him I thought it'd be a basic surgery no big deal and now I hear this. :-( I was rather upset. I chose not to do the surgery since breaking your pelvic bone you have a 50/50 chance of not walking again. I don't want to risk it I rather go without the surgery. Ever since though I've imagined it and it creeps me out. LOL!