What's your Chinese Zodiac sign AND Element?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 10:20 am

I once went into a chinese takeaway with someone i was supporting up in northern england. The chinese fella started shouting his head off at some Romanian gypsy who was trying to sell the big issue magazine (its a newspaper sold by homeless people over here) the rather ironic phrase he was shouting with his broken english accent was something like

"Go back to romania you "f'ing" immigrant, get a real job"

I found that somewhat bemusing and the irony appeared to be lost on the chinese fella.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 10:28 am

Laz wrote:
I once went into a chinese takeaway with someone i was supporting up in northern england. The chinese fella started shouting his head off at some Romanian gypsy who was trying to sell the big issue magazine (its a newspaper sold by homeless people over here) the rather ironic phrase he was shouting with his broken english accent was something like

I found that somewhat bemusing and the irony appeared to be lost on the chinese fella.

:roll: Charming.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 10:41 am

Welcome to Manchester

sfumato
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2011, 10:44 am

I am a monkey and my element is water.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 1:42 pm

Laz wrote:

Why would the irony be lost on him? The Chinese fella probably has been told numerous times to go back to China (even if he didn't actually come from there) and his skin color (along with his noticeable "broken English accent") is probably a constant reminder that he can never pass as a native-born citizen.

Just because he doesn't speak standard English doesn't mean he's a complete dumbass.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 2:13 pm

An Earth Tiger, I guess.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 3:16 pm

Wood Rat

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 7:41 pm

menintights wrote:
Laz wrote:

Why would the irony be lost on him? The Chinese fella probably has been told numerous times to go back to China (even if he didn't actually come from there) and his skin color (along with his noticeable "broken English accent") is probably a constant reminder that he can never pass as a native-born citizen.

Just because he doesn't speak standard English doesn't mean he's a complete dumbass.

Laz said nothing to suggest that it did. And the irony is in an immigrant insulting another person for being an immigrant. If what you said is the case, there is the additional irony of a person who has suffered racism being racist himself.