I applied for a job at Wal-Mart...

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

VoluminousFlush
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2006, 5:27 pm

First you get on a computer. Only after I gave them pertinent information, including my SSN and address, you get to take a 65 question test. Of course I failed. It took almost an hour!

"You have failed the assessment portion of the application. Your application will not be considered for employment at this time."

:evil: They have to be kidding. Before I know it, I'll be getting spam out the wazzoo and I'll probably have my identity stolen. I am a failure :(

Vinzer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 5:34 pm

Where exactly is this thing, anyways? I hope it's not on some random site.

VoluminousFlush
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2006, 5:45 pm

No, you do it in the store.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 8:53 pm

I't O.K. Wal-Mart is evil anyways. I would'nt work there if it was the last job on earth!

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 9:35 pm

True that.

Any place that has you taking a test practically comparable to the SATs just for some low-paying, meanial position isn't worth your time, anyway.

You'll find something better.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

11 Jul 2006, 9:37 pm

VoluminousFlush wrote:
No, you do it in the store.

Yeah they have a cheezy computer in the back of the store
(like a 1980's video game). I was
with my nephew's girlfriend while she took the test.

VoluminousFlush
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2006, 3:35 pm

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
True that.

Any place that has you taking a test practically comparable to the SATs just for some low-paying, meanial position isn't worth your time, anyway.

Very insightful 8)

You are all very kind, thank you.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2006, 11:16 pm

They should pay you for wasting your time!
You will find something better. My older not very good at computers brother went into Home Depot he is semi retired wanted to make some extra money he had a hard time with the computer and they told him if he couldn't work that they didn't need him By the way he has over 40 years wood working,home improvement and gardening expirance

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2006, 11:42 pm

parts wrote:
They should pay you for wasting your time!
You will find something better. My older not very good at computers brother went into Home Depot he is semi retired wanted to make some extra money he had a hard time with the computer and they told him if he couldn't work that they didn't need him By the way he has over 40 years wood working,home improvement and gardening expirance

These "big box" stores are rulled by a bean counter mentality. You really are better off working somewhere else!

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2006, 2:06 am

The only way I would ever work at wal-mart is if I could do really horrible things to the wal-mart.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2006, 9:26 am

Good luck!

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2006, 8:13 pm

Hello,

First thing you need to know is that Wal-Mart hire a lot of family of their employee that they already had.

Mother with daughter or son, nephew and aunt or uncle .... If it were your case you would have had more luck, and you would have probably not do the test.

I was hired there, after 2 months they fired me, the boss told me that I was too shy to work there.

I'm not shy, I have a communication problem, I don't speak enough, I did effort to socialize with the staff but as an AS, some of us don't fit easily with peoples.

Wal-Mart is probably not a good place for an Asperger. On there job request they ask if we got handicap or if we are a limited person to adapt the job for our needs, I'm almost sure that if one of us told them that he is AS he will not be hire.

See ya !

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2006, 9:06 pm

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ional/home

Does that make ya feel better about not working there? ;)

CurbRider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2006, 9:24 pm

atxa wrote:
I was hired there, after 2 months they fired me, the boss told me that I was too shy to work there.

I'm not shy, I have a communication problem, I don't speak enough, I did effort to socialize with the staff but as an AS, some of us don't fit easily with peoples.

Wal-Mart is probably not a good place for an Asperger. On there job request they ask if we got handicap or if we are a limited person to adapt the job for our needs, I'm almost sure that if one of us told them that he is AS he will not be hire.

Fry's is a good place to get hired. Fry's Food and Drug, owned by Kroger. Grocery store. They have another carryout who is a bit more, uh, handicapped. They've not fired him yet, and he was there before I got hired. That's been at least 11 months.

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2006, 11:06 am

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
True that.

But you will find the paper application is soon to be a thing of the past.. this is their way of weeding folks out.. but its very very wrong. you should never have to take a test to get a job at walmart or any other retail store.. you should be judged on who you are and not what the standard test say you should be.. but come on most of you aspies are very smart people who could fool the test and let the mgr meet you and then they will be in for a surprise.. its not so much of an intelligence test as a personality test. these test do not test your IQ but test your personality and your abilty to handle the public. working with the public in Walmarts might just drive me mad and I am not aspie.. but my son is and I can tell you all the stimuli would drive him crazy!

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2006, 11:12 am

[quote="atxa"

See ya ![/quote]

this is just wrong. you did nothing wrong to get fired.. who are they to judge someone because they are too shy? these people need to find their butts in court for actions like this... but their big proce attorneys squash all the little guys.. I personally try to NEVER shop there.. I rebel against the way they treat people.. and i will not give the big executives any more money in their pockets while they watch their underpaid employees risk their lives for that dump! too bad they could not get a union in a place like that.. WalMarts would go under!