Page 1337 of 2521 [ 40329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1334, 1335, 1336, 1337, 1338, 1339, 1340 ... 2521  Next

factorydrone23
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jul 2018, 7:51 pm

I'm thinking about that show Rick and Morty, during the episode with the psychic parasites that multiply using pleasant memories. It got me thinking about how those parasites are kind of like fake friends you sometimes get in real life. Like, they're like people who will only ever be polite to you and help you avoid unpleasant truths, but they don't actually care about you.

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2018, 7:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You have accomplishments, I'm sure, Mr. Fixit Man.

I've lost a few friendships myself; and they haven't always been my fault.

I feel concrete accomplishments sometimes are even more substantive than abstract accomplishments.

If you fix things well, you're doing pretty well. I don't fix anything---so I'm not doing so well.

If one looks hard enough, everyone has an accomplishment to speak of, but it's all in relativity. Take an able-bodied person both physically and mentally -- they get up in the morning and get dressed to go to work. It's an accomplishment sure, but it's so routine that little effort is needed for it. Take that same achievement and apply it to someone with crippling arthritis or severe depression -- suddenly that small everyday thing becomes a huge accomplishment due to the massively increased effort needed.

I'm just stuck on the notion of self-sufficiency. As it stands, I don't live on my own nor have I ever, and as such am dependent on someone else for food, transportation and a roof over my head. I've had 16 years to work towards that goal, and little in the way of progress. That then becomes a question of whether that's due to less effort being put in, or greater impedance pushing back. I'm leaning towards the former.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2018, 7:53 pm

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2018, 8:10 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
DataB4 wrote:
SentientPotato wrote:
I wonder how different I'd be if I never actually used the internet as a method of communication with people I'll likely never meet face-to-face.

OMG the Internet has been such a big part of my world, so I'm sure I'd be different without it. I've had amazing Internet discussions, I've discovered I'm not alone in so many ways, I've made some close friends, and there are times in my life when chatting online made my life a thousand times better. I could go on.

I feel the same way. When I was living with my mom, once she took my Internet time away (we shared a computer) She told me I was spending toooo much time on the internet, I was crying, cuz she didn’t understand. I was sooo excited when I got my first computer (it was a Mac PC) it was 2001, my computer wasn’t set up, my mom was on vacation with her boyfriend, I hooked up my computer myself, I really freak out when my computer was talking.

If your friends are on the Internet and you can't hang out with them, that's lonely.

As a teenager, I spent most of my free time on the Internet, on the phone, reading, and listening to music.

I was so excited when I first got to use the computers at school as a kid, and then when my parents bought one and let me use it. Years later, first websites, first chatrooms, all good memories.

SentientPotato wrote:
I used to feel that way, but... ever since losing a second major friendship things aren't quite what they once were, and I wonder what it is I've actually accomplished. I am so far behind everyone else, it's ridiculous.

I've lost some major friendships in my life too. No one can ever replace them.

Edna3362 wrote:
It's like half of myself (?? Left half of my head? Left brain?) Is wide awake.
The other half is half-asleep and yet to be awake, being dragged by the other half.

I feel that way sometimes. Like I'm doing things, talking to people, but not fully engaged, foggy but not drowsy. Even my emotions are sort of sluggish and flat when that happens. I seem to feel that way for a few hours if I've had a lot of anxiety, and I've started catching up from a really messed up sleep routine.

Most people I know would respond to that state with "need coffee" or something, but I'm pretty sensitive to caffein so that's not the best solution for me.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2018, 9:29 pm

Cravings gone haywire. Ate too many Hershey's nuggets and pb twix.

Thus far the people at my internship have been nice. But today a high school sophomore said at his internship, he was doing research for the company. What he was doing was not grunt work

Thus far I had to move chairs, tape boxes, sort nuts and bolts, remove plastic from metal

Haven't learned anything

Past two weeks, ate more than usual. Did not gain weight. Yet :skull:

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2018, 9:33 pm

Wondering if I need to go to the hospital yet again or if I should just go ahead and hurt myself, because absolutely nothing is helping this urge - ultimately it's going to end in one or the other :( But the hospital won't take me seriously if I don't actually have any wounds at the time and I don't have any intent to die, right? So should I bother going? Also wondering how long this dang cycle is going to keep going - I think I'm fine for a while, then I get a little urge to hurt myself, and the longer I resist it, the stronger it grows, and it's always the same no matter what I do.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2018, 10:11 pm

Since that weird morning, I've been performing rather well.

Hmph.

Like it's going to last. It's just another week for me. This week just happened to be one of the lucky ones that put me in a more organized state.
I may or may not as well fluctuate into a more disorganized and incompetent state soonee or later.

Of course, I'm looking up on how to extend it. How to do this again. Just like last time.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2018, 10:52 pm

Im a bit anxious right now. Im thinking about my very last year of school. Its terrifying for me. I am not graduating on time though. Im taking a 5th year. I can stay til Im 21.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 3:14 am

Can't wait for the internship to end

Constantly paranoid about getting made redundant and that someone might give me a hard time about something

All it takes is one person

Sooner or later, it is bound to happen

Heart and brrain exhausted

:D

Riffraff on the street had the nerve to call me a ",fa***t"

The current counselor (and almost all of the previous ones,) would have a field day

They are so dramatic

Homophobia spectrum :D

The most homophobic people kill LGBT people. Less homophobic people rape LGBT people. Less homophobic people say "fa***t". Less homophobic people say "that's hella gay" :D

It is not fair to lump all homophobic people in the second category

:mrgreen:

At this point, counseling might be :skull: hurting :skull: more than it is :jester: helping :jester:

The counselor keeps missing the point completely

She acts like she is so innocent morally

"Is helping people important to you?"

Wtf?

Important means "of great value" in the dictionary

Not everything with value is ",great value"

Besides what is "helping?"

All she does is sit around talking

"Actions speak louder than words" :skull:

:jester: :jester: :heart: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Besides the counselor has no authority over the situation

She keeps sucking up to me

So I wonder what bad things she thinks about me

And I wonder what "miscommunications" the therapy notes
Contain

:skull:

Maybe I ought to read the HIPAA booklet. :skull:

See about client right to inspect therapist notes

Because the insurance and the next therapist (s) will see her notes

Especially if I consent to 4elease notes

And if I don't consent, I have to repeat a lot of things I would rather not repeat

The next counselor will say "uh huh uh huh uh huh" and not believe me. Not receptive

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 3:13 pm

Catching up here - I hope you guys are all doing okay!

On my mind right now: the embarrassment of never fitting in. Not being like other people, failing to behave in a normal sort of way. I try, I fail, I give up; I realize giving up isn't the answer, so I try again... Every time I gain a bit of wisdom though, so there's something to be said for that.

I'm glad there's a place where it's okay to struggle with these sorts of problems.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 7:01 pm

"Poorly written" seems to mean nothing at all.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 7:11 am

Working feels satisfying in a way

Thus far everyone has been nice

Thus far

Not just staring at the computer

Doing tangible work

Some of it is boring and physically difficult

But the starting and ending points are clearly different

Systems, manufacturing, maintenance, sales, domestic, social, cognitive, industrial engineering

Could not fancy working 40 hr a week or more

And many jobs are worse than mine

Physically hard, construction labor

Academically hard, nuclear physicist

Socially awkward, waiter

Emotionally fragile, McDonald's

Work 100 hours a week, bankers

Work in hot and cold temperature, snow, mailman

Squeezing under houses, Carpenter

All I did yesterday was move a couple of boxes and sort a couple of nuts and bolts

:heart:

Some people work two or more jobs

Military

Go to school and work

And raise a family

And take chemotherapy

And I feel exhausted after :jester: sometimes during :ninja: work (fine)

But no medical diagnosis

Yet.

And it's not that far away

Fantasizing

Construction labor

Carpenter

Combat engineer

Physicist

Inventor

Think tank

Doctor Spock

Love

Liberal

Mister redelings

:heart:

:roll:

Move forward in "life"

Better to fail at moving forward, than succeed at moving backwards

"Life" is "As Good As it Gets,"

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:lol:

"Disturbing,"

Nothing to do all day long

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 9:09 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Better to fail at moving forward, than succeed at moving backwards

I needed to hear that, thank you.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 9:59 am

That when things seem unpleasant, that there are others whom have similar difficulties and have managed to get moving along the journey regardless, as well it's nice to see Ashariel again :oops:

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 4:55 pm

A Geology instructor said he asked the students if they would rather be smart or rich. They answered rich. The instructor said smart.

He told me that over ten years ago

Yesterday it dawned on me that, which one you choose depends on the situation

For example, some countries have a social caste system. Someone born a peasant will not get promoted. Intelligence does not matter, in that situation

Someone smart could get brain damage

Someone rich could get burglarized

It appears that way too many precious lil "people" are materialistic

Some precious lil "people" act like intelligence is a moral value

Intelligence is just a random :heart: job skill :skull: . Just like, :mrgreen: physical strength is just a random job skill

If you were rich you could hire a financial advisor

The other thing is, define "rich".

Define "smart".

Definitions matter. Otherwise two parties are talking about two different things

"I know you're smart" should not be a compliment. A 35 year old counselor told me that when I was 31. Totally condescending

:evil:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 5:22 pm

Wanting a snack because I am now hungry.