Page 2267 of 2523 [ 40362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2264, 2265, 2266, 2267, 2268, 2269, 2270 ... 2523  Next

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 3:55 am

At school, manners are taught. Being helpful is encouraged. 'Being good' and 'nice' is taught. Politeness and kindness is taught.

Most virtues are being taught, encouraged.
Where are a lot of stories about how acting on such would bring reward.
Prosocial emotions are always brought up. Empathy. Sympathy. Sharing. Compassion.

But did said stories taught kids how to handle envy? Derision? Anger? Any anti-social thoughts and emotions.

All I see is stories of how having it, acting upon it and trusting those who have it would bring disaster or how it is undesirable and shameful... And that how one are at least subconsciously be 'shamed' by feeling guilty or just think it's 'wrong'.

It's one thing to show what not to do, it's another on how to prevent the undesirable reaction.

I've yet to see a story of how to manage said feelings, said thoughts, and how to control the reaction that may came from it...

I've yet to see a story of how one handles sin in a healthy manner.
All I see is this shame and guilt... Guilt is a useless emotion to be honest. And those who 'continues' are prideful or whatever. All I see is those characters deserving humiliation.

Or this... Unexplained change of heart. :? As if it's willed into something else to suck it up.
But no one's telling how to manage it all up.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Mar 2023, 6:16 am

Edna3362 wrote:
But did said stories taught kids how to handle envy? Derision? Anger? Any anti-social thoughts and emotions

Yeah, that bothered me too. Considering how destructive anger and belligerence can be, it frustrated the crap out of me that nothing is done about something that can destroy lives. It just gets swept under the rug and anyone related to particularly noteworthy events are punished regardless of the source of the problem.

Almost made me join a violent gang to defend myself.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 7:53 am

looking at back at how I used to be fairly good at facilitating friendships and maintaining them, only to see how nowadays I've become a shadow of my former self in that respect.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 8:17 am

Recidivist wrote:

1. Oooh! Yes very awkward and may even have the opposite effect you want. Some autistic people are resistant to change and a new friend is change ( something to think about and realise it's not personal)
2. Friendship have lots of definitions imo it can be whatever you want it to be especially on an anonymous forum.
3. If you are autistic and are seeking help you are in the right place.
4. Caveat: I don't want to scare you but not everyone here is friendly (the vast majority of members are) , some members don't want friends, some members are only intent on manipulation, be very careful about PM'ing someone as this is private and out of the view of members/admin/mods who can't protect you. A lot of members here are Trans allies but not all and it may not be apparent.

I see. It also seems that WP is sort of geared to people older than me, so maybe I'm just wasting my time

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 8:19 am

Readydaer wrote:
Recidivist wrote:

1. Oooh! Yes very awkward and may even have the opposite effect you want. Some autistic people are resistant to change and a new friend is change ( something to think about and realise it's not personal)
2. Friendship have lots of definitions imo it can be whatever you want it to be especially on an anonymous forum.
4. Caveat: I don't want to scare you but not everyone here is friendly (the vast majority of members are) , some members don't want friends, some members are only intent on manipulation, be very careful about PM'ing someone as this is private and out of the view of members/admin/mods who can't protect you. A lot of members here are Trans allies but not all and it may not be apparent.

No Wrong Planet is for all people regardless of age.

I see. It also seems that WP is sort of geared to people older than me, so maybe I'm just wasting my time

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 12:34 pm

Readydaer wrote:
Recidivist wrote:

As longshot said, it's for all ages although the most gobby are the older posters. :lol:

The membership is also always growing so the average age changes over time.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 12:35 pm

I wanna go to Build-A-Bear and make a Teddy Kaczynski and a Pablo Escabear.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 12:36 pm

Readydaer wrote:
Recidivist wrote:

If all the younger people left the average age would only creep up more.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 12:38 pm

That shower tape stuff.
What is it called?! !?!?!?! !!

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 12:44 pm

If you mean the stuff you put on the thread before screwing the head on, we call it PTFE tape (Thread seal tape) in the UK

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 1:53 pm

That’s the stuff! Thanks!

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 6:49 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
At school, manners are taught. Being helpful is encouraged. 'Being good' and 'nice' is taught. Politeness and kindness is taught.

Most virtues are being taught, encouraged.
Where are a lot of stories about how acting on such would bring reward.
Prosocial emotions are always brought up. Empathy. Sympathy. Sharing. Compassion.

But did said stories taught kids how to handle envy? Derision? Anger? Any anti-social thoughts and emotions.

All I see is stories of how having it, acting upon it and trusting those who have it would bring disaster or how it is undesirable and shameful... And that how one are at least subconsciously be 'shamed' by feeling guilty or just think it's 'wrong'.

It's one thing to show what not to do, it's another on how to prevent the undesirable reaction.

I've yet to see a story of how to manage said feelings, said thoughts, and how to control the reaction that may came from it...

I've yet to see a story of how one handles sin in a healthy manner.
All I see is this shame and guilt... Guilt is a useless emotion to be honest. And those who 'continues' are prideful or whatever. All I see is those characters deserving humiliation.

Or this... Unexplained change of heart. :? As if it's willed into something else to suck it up.
But no one's telling how to manage it all up.

Continuation of this post;
If not virtues, then woes.

Grief, worry, sadness and fear are taught to be managed.

Talk to a loved one. Ignore the uncontrollable or solve what's controllable. Be brave. Acceptance and not judging.
Virtues and prosocial stuff are almost always brought up right after.

This may seem to be the prevention of 'going to the anti social lines' of thought and emotion.

But how does one turn back past that line? Especially when alone?
Not all children have people around them who would and could understand and explain things for them to comprehend.

What if the person doesn't have a reliable loved one to talk to or do action?

What if the person doesn't have this emotional buffer or a semblance of internal regulation and discrimination within them?

What if the person has no concept of acceptance, bravery, or even anything positive other than pleasure, satisfaction or relief?

There's always this assumed privilege that every child has a loving and understanding family, or that this child is a stable raised neurotypical who just didn't knew a few things here and there if they didn't read enough books.

Heck, it is assumed that everyone -- child or not -- has the same contextual and language comprehension of particular age.
Or something to compensate with or redeem with.

What else do I have in mind related to this?

Defending one's self and other from others who has been past that line -- is it the 'villains' fault?

Kinda like how I said there's no such thing as a loser. Only whatever they had dealt with.

Behaviorally, yes, they did something wrong.
It doesn't matter what the source is.
General "foolishnesses", ignorance, forgetfulness, 'apathy', greed, envy, laziness, pride, etc.

Intent never mattered.
So it came down to said privileges and means to even have a semblance of self control?

It came down to having a form of 'executive functions'. Everyone yells it's 'common sense', 'discipline' and 'critical thinking'. I say there is more to it than just behaviors and 'wit'

Not gaining them, not compensating for it... Maybe except in a slow, painful and likely in a humiliating way.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 8:46 pm

I hate being touch starved.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 9:12 pm

Fairfield wrote:
I hate being touch starved.

Wish I could give you a hug.
Hugs permitting.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 10:07 pm

^ *hugs Fairfield with a stick* Image

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 10:11 pm

So, hypothetically ... if a person were banned, what happens?
Can they still log in but just not post?
If that's true, can they read Adult and Members Only, hypothetically, but just not post?
What exactly happens when they try to log in, hypothetically?

Asking for a hypothetical friend.