What is the best place for me in Europe to work and live?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Jet102fm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2011, 6:32 pm

OK. Assuming a couple years after I move back to my parents from college. I am still single. What is the best place in Europe for me to work and live? I need some rough advice on this one.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 9:37 pm

i used to read Momus's blog all the time, & he made expat life in Berlin sound pretty cool.
my favorite city is Prague, but i wonder how easy it is to make a living there unless you know Czech.
if i were going back, i'd like to try Edinburgh but that's just me.

reasoning." --William Blake

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 9:47 pm

If you can only speak English?

UK; Ireland; Malta.

Jet102fm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jan 2011, 8:56 pm

UK is my best bet; I am open to learn another language to work and live elsewhere, though. Forward...

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 10:55 pm

this

http://tinyurl.com/6fr9pmx

reasoning." --William Blake

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 11:03 pm

I'd personally choose a place that's within close proximity to a major city, so that you can easily commute if necessary.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 11:23 am

Jet102fm wrote:
OK. Assuming a couple years after I move back to my parents from college. I am still single. What is the best place in Europe for me to work and live? I need some rough advice on this one.

Definitely in a scandanavian country, Stockholm if you can. I only have experience in Norway but they all speak English as a second language so I guessing Sweden is the same. It's just a great part the world with excellent living conditions. Otherwise maybe Glasgow or Edinburgh (beautiful city) would be a good idea

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 11:29 am

bucephalus wrote:
Jet102fm wrote:

Definitely in a scandanavian country, Stockholm if you can. I only have experience in Norway but they all speak English as a second language so I guessing Sweden is the same. It's just a great part the world with excellent living conditions. Otherwise maybe Glasgow or Edinburgh (beautiful city) would be a good idea

scandinavia is very nice,
in denmark you could easily work and live without learning danish, my music teacher at age 14 only spoke english.
most major companies also use english as the primary communication within themselves, it probably the same in norway and sweden as well.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 11:53 am

bucephalus wrote:
Jet102fm wrote:

Yes, most swedish do speak English.

Though it would depend what kind of work you were looking to do over there. For example if you were going to work in care with learning disabilities they might ask you to speak the local dialect because such people won't neccesarily have the abilities to have picked up english.

But I imagine that isn't the line of work your looking for