Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 2:06 pm

if you are, I'm trying to fill some seams and make them smooth (no evidence of a seam) but I simply can't. I've tried super glue and baking soda, I've tried spot and glazing putty, I've tried two-part epoxy filler putty. Still, the seams come back. I'm pulling my hair out trying to do this.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 3:44 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
if you are, I'm trying to fill some seams and make them smooth (no evidence of a seam) but I simply can't. I've tried super glue and baking soda, I've tried spot and glazing putty, I've tried two-part epoxy filler putty. Still, the seams come back. I'm pulling my hair out trying to do this.

Ive built a few Monokote planes-R/C
But Ive dabbled with balsa fixes and plastic fixes.
Man, I don't see how glazing putty couldn't do the trick. It shrinks but a few coats should work. Is the substrate moving underneath as not being fastened down?

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 4:05 pm

nope. completely fixed.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 4:54 pm

Maybe the paint is flashing between the two different surfaces.

I wonder if you sealed the putty surface with a " clear coat" first?

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 5:35 pm

paint? I'm not at the painting stage yet.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 5:47 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
paint? I'm not at the painting stage yet.

O.K. I was thinking the seam was only highlighted through the paint. So it seems the filler isn't adhering here as leaving a feel to the touch as in a void?

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 6:32 pm

The glazing putty and other stuff is adhering just fine to the plastic. I think the biggest problem is my sanding method which is light, tight circles with wet sandpaper (wet/dry obviously).

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Feb 2011, 7:43 pm

In my plastic HO scale buildings I tend to use the Tester's white plastic putty that comes in a tube like the Tester's model glue. After letting it dry, I carefully sand. Then I paint the entire model after the putty and sand job.