post something Quite Interesting..

Page 89 of 96 [ 1524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 96  Next

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 1:43 pm

In 1865, the U.S. Secret Service was first established for the specific purpose to combat the counterfeiting of money.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 4:10 pm

It is possible to arrange six identical coins so that each of them touches the other five. This in itself may be trivial but the interesting part in it is that I figured it out at the age of eight on my own, without no one asking me to think about it.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 5:06 pm

Kubrick's version of "The Shining" took almost a year to film. The scene on the stairs with Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duval stretched to over 160 takes. The interiors were all built on a soundstage in the UK.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 9:19 am

That book,'The Shining', scared the daylights out of me!

Of course, so did 'Salem's Lot'.

And 'Christine'.

Sylkat

operationpaperclip
Raven
Raven

21 Dec 2012, 10:06 am

A human can survive without the lower half of its body. Everything below the waist is essentially ballast, assuming you don't mind a few ostomy bags.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 10:37 am

^ Confirmed. Angel Reed, Peng Shuilin, and Rand Hull have survived hemicorporectomy.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 8:55 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pq-FB2LgBI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 8:57 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHXqmrU0TRw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

Foxxtale
Toucan
Toucan

31 Dec 2012, 9:06 am

It is impossible to spell a word only using the bottom row of the keyboard. The longest word you can spell using only the top row is "Rupturewort" (an herb) at 12 letters. The most commonly ascribed "longest word" that can be spelled out using only the top row is "Typewriter" at 10 letters.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 10:44 am

What would be the longest English word that can be typed with adjacent keys, like REDS? Or any language. In Finnish you have POLKI which means "pedaled." – Even I am not sure if this is interesting.

Foxxtale
Toucan
Toucan

31 Dec 2012, 11:54 am

"referred" and "refereed" are tied at 8 characters. But that is only if you count diagonally adjacent as valid.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 12:03 pm

Krabo wrote:
I have to comment on this, no offense intended. – There is no clear-cut borderline between Europe and Asia, the continents merge gradually into each other. Hence, there are several towns that can be said to be located on two continents. For historical reasons, Istanbul is the most outstanding case, but it is not alone. Magnitogorsk, Russia, is a good candidate together with numerous other Russian cities.

I'm not an expert on these things, but couldn't Europe be viewed as a peninsula of Eurasia? Europe and Asia (safe for India and I believe the Arabian Peninsula) are currently on the same tectonic plate, aren't they? It would appear that the only reason Europe is viewed as a separate continent, is because of centuries-long arrogance of its occupants (Romans, Frankish Empire under Charlemagne, the Christians in general throughout the Dark Ages, the European colonial empires that rose after the Renaissance).

Arkio
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 1:00 pm

I have a fetish for skinny Asian guys encased in flamboyant armor. Thank the sulfuric lord below for Kamen Rider.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 1:32 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
I'm not an expert on these things, but couldn't Europe be viewed as a peninsula of Eurasia? Europe and Asia (safe for India and I believe the Arabian Peninsula) are currently on the same tectonic plate, aren't they?

Yes, they are.
CyclopsSummers wrote:
It would appear that the only reason Europe is viewed as a separate continent, is because of centuries-long arrogance of its occupants (Romans, Frankish Empire under Charlemagne, the Christians in general throughout the Dark Ages, the European colonial empires that rose after the Renaissance).

Well, maybe so. But I'd like to a bit more humane and say that when people became aware of different continents, they knew nothing about tectonic plates or things like that. They simply divided the world into large areas which were distinct from each other. And what about naming America? When the new world got its specific designation derived from Amerigo Vespucci, I'm pretty sure they weren't thinking about a continent per se, but just a remote area somewhere between China and Portugal.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 5:24 pm

No one is quite sure when Walt Disney first came up with the idea of Disneyland. He mentioned the concept as early as the premiere of Snow White. Later he is said to have expanded that idea from his model railroad he had in his backyard. But nobody can name the exact moment.

Interestingly, Disneyland has had a large number of planned rides and lands that were announced but never built. One of these was to be a "Chinatown" with an animatronic Confucius ! !

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 9:14 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtcaoVBDu5M[/youtube]

Some fry and Laurie, embed thingy no working
[Mod. edit: fixed that for you! :wink: ]

And some of fudo's noise..
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyLRJn26NRY[/youtube]

Will probably have to move out on Monday, dunno how long but will likely disappear for a while.