post something Quite Interesting..

Page 93 of 96 [ 1524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 10:33 am

I read the other day about how Russians have the stereotype of always being grim and serious, but that's really only because they generally believe it's stupid to smile at other people unless you are sincerely happy and pleased. They think smiling at a total stranger is rude or even offensive, and they think the "American Smile" is phony, fake and insincere. I think they have a good point. I can't understand being able to put on a fake smile at certain jobs where you have to always do that, even when the customer has been a complete jerkface.

In some cultures, however, it's the other extreme. Some people think you should always smile and act happy even when you feel like absolute garbage because of a superstition that all kinds of bad things will happen if you don't. House destroyed in an earthquake? It's your own fault because you stopped smiling when your cheeks hurt too much!

:) :D :mrgreen: :|

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 7:26 am

In 1559, French King Henry II died of wounds suffered in a jousting tournament. His death led to the end of jousting as a sport.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2015, 5:23 pm

Well, I don't know if this is interesting to anyone else, but today my mother told me something that was like something out of one of those "Dumb Criminal" stories. She said that two guys broke into the scrapyard where she works late at night by squeezing themselves under the gate. Then they to whatever they thought was worth stealing (which isn't much at all, it's basically just metal junk that gets recycled), and threw it back over the fence.

But then some time later they came back because they realized there were cameras everywhere and thought they should spray paint the lenses. Which is useless to do now because they've already been caught on tape! :lol:

One guy even got spray paint in his face because it was windy outside. Unless he managed to clean all the paint off it shouldn't be too hard to find and arrest him.

If that wasn't bad enough, one of them even came in during the day before breaking in and asked if the yard keeps a lot of money locked up when they close for the night.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 7:25 am

On this day in 1399, Henry IV is proclaimed King of England.

James Dean died exactly 60 years ago today.

joju
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2015, 8:40 am

A couple of new recordings. Shameless self-promotion...

https://lunalacuna.bandcamp.com/album/e ... th-october

https://www.facebook.com/lunalacuna.band

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 10:37 am

There was a news story about police being forced to "arrest" a goat that had wandered into a Tim Horton's in Saskatchewan at night and refused to leave. Apparently the goat was chilly and did the most cliched Canadian thing ever to get warm, although he didn't order any coffee or doughnuts. :D

The goat has been safely returned to its owners however, so all is well. But I'll bet that's one...kid...who is seriously grounded for going out late at night without permission! :lol:

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 10:44 am

I can't remember the exact event, but at some point there was an invasion force of 80 men, I want to say French but I could be wrong, who went into either Spain or Italy and they came back with 81 men. Can't remember the name or other details, but it actually did happen :o

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 11:19 am

King James IV of Scotland was the last king to die in battle.

joju
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Oct 2015, 1:54 am

Made a music video kinda... Or the music anyways.

Wendigo-Luna lacuna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoJ07Yb ... ata_player

https://www.facebook.com/lunalacuna.band

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 1:57 am

Both candidates in the 2004 US Presidential election, George W. Bush and John Kerry, are distantly related to Vlad the Impaler, a.k.a. Vlad Dracula.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 4:46 am

Henry III of England was born on this day in 1207.

glebel wrote:
King James IV of Scotland was the last king to die in battle.

James III of Scotland, Charles XII of Sweden, and Richards I and III of England all died in battle.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 11:48 am

On this day in 1452, Richard III of England was born.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2015, 10:15 am

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2015, 10:35 am

The average commercial life of a fruit tree is from 35 to 40 years.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 4:36 am

On this day in 1492, Christopher Columbus' ships arrive in what they think is the Indies, but is in reality, the New World.

On this day in 1537, Boy King Edward VI of England was born.

On this day in 1870, Civil War General Robert E. Lee passed away.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2015, 6:35 am

On this day in 1162, Eleanor of England, Queen of Castile and daughter of Henry II of England, was born.

On this day in 1453, Edward of Westminster, son of Henry VI of England, was born.