post something Quite Interesting..

Page 2 of 96 [ 1524 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 96  Next

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 10:39 pm

Fudo wrote:
i only learned of lolcats a few weeks ago so it's still kinda novel at the moment.

I think this is where I must ask: "Do you live under a rock?" :lol: I loved lolcats when they were new. I still like them a bit. Also, I'm really enjoying your thread, even if I'm not contributing. I have a lot of random knowledge and bits of trivia in my head, but I can't recall them on command. They have to come spontaneously through conversation or in answer to direct questions.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 10:52 pm

fudo is yamabushi ;)
glad you're enjoying it Kaybee. k, a question.. what does your signature mean?

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 11:04 pm

more about bugs & insects..
Cicadas are the world's loudest insects, with some of the 2500 species reaching 120 decibels - what you hear when sitting in the front row of a loud rock concert. The longest-living insect is the termite queen, known to live for at least 50 years. The giant weta (Deinacrida heteracantha), a cricket endemic to New Zealand's offshore islands, is the heaviest insect alive. The largest specimen, a female, weighs 71g.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 11:06 pm

:lol: That explains it.

My signature is a quote from Ovid which means, roughly, "I see the better way, and I approve of it; but I follow the worse way."

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 11:10 pm

Kaybee wrote:
:lol: That explains it.

My signature is a quote from Ovid which means, roughly, "I see the better way, and I approve of it; but I follow the worse way."

cool, that is interesting and perhaps an insight into Kaybee's mind.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 11:37 pm

Many actors were considered for the role of Willy Wonka in the 2005 remake. A few of them, among many others, were Will Smith, Nicolas Cage, Bill Murray and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. But the person who wanted it most badly of all was... Marylin Manson.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 11:41 pm

there's a place near where i live called st. mary's island, where radioactive waste was dumped during the 60's i think, on the same site napoleonic soldiers were buried in unmarked graves.. no french zombies have been reported there so far.. but maybe one day. :roll:

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 12:06 am

Fudo wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

cool, that is interesting and perhaps an insight into Kaybee's mind.

A big one. ;) But she's working on it.
Watch out for those zombies.

Esther
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 1:33 am

Fudo wrote:
A "Venomous" animal is one that kills you by injecting poison into the blood. A "Poisonous" animal is one that kills you when you eat it.

Yay, thanks for this.

I wish Stephen Fry was my uncle.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 6:16 am

Fudo wrote:
there is no such thing as a fish.

Why is that then?

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 11:21 am

rabbitears wrote:
Fudo wrote:
there is no such thing as a fish.

Why is that then?

while many fish seem similar, apparently there is not enough to say that they are related. it was from the show.. i didn't fully understand myself.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 11:22 am

Esther wrote:
Fudo wrote:
A "Venomous" animal is one that kills you by injecting poison into the blood. A "Poisonous" animal is one that kills you when you eat it.

Yay, thanks for this.

I wish Stephen Fry was my uncle.

haha no problem, i'd love an uncle stephen too. :)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

04 Mar 2011, 1:25 pm

Although Bach died of a stroke on July 28th 1750, his death was hastened by the infections resulting from two cataract operations performed by the surgeon John Taylor (who also operated on Handel).
After spending the last few months of his life in a darkened room suffering from the infections caused by the surgery, on the morning of the 28th he awoke and discovered that he could see clearly - and suffered a stroke shortly afterwards, dying around 8:45 that evening.

His last composition, made from his death-bed, is a chorale fantasia for organ based on the chorale "Vor deinen Thron tret ich" ("Before Thy Throne O Lord I Stand").
Which is kinda fitting, as well as being jaw-droppingly beautiful.

[edit: a typo! 8O ]

Last edited by Cornflake on 04 Mar 2011, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 2:19 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Although Bach died of a stroke on July 28th 1750, his death was hastened by the infections resulting from two cataract operations performed by the surgeon John Taylor (who also operated on Handel).
After spending the last few months of his life in a darkened room suffering form the infections caused by the surgery, on the morning of the 28th he awoke and discovered that he could see clearly - and suffered a stroke shortly afterwards, dying around 8:45 that evening.

His last composition, made from his death-bed, is a chorale fantasia for organ based on the chorale "Vor deinen Thron tret ich" ("Before Thy Throne O Lord I Stand").
Which is kinda fitting, as well as being jaw-droppingly beautiful.

poor Bach. he had earned a better end in my opinion. but quite interesting nonetheless, thanks.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 3:55 pm

The Rosenhan experiment concluded that you cannot distinguish the sane from the insane in psychiatric hospitals. For those who aren't too familiar with the experiment, it took place in the early 1970s (1973, to be exact) and the specific psychologist was a guy by the name of David Rosenhan. Basically, for the first part of the experiment, he sent non-insane patients who briefly simulated auditory hallucinations and they were admitted to many different psychiatric hospitals in five different states (I think it was twelve hospitals.) They were diagnosed with psychiatric disorders and admitted to the hospitals. Then, once they were admitted, they acted normally and said that they felt fine. The staff at the hospitals didn't notice that, perchance, the "patients" might be normal and that they might be faking their psychiatric problems. They were all eventually released and they had to take antipsychotic drugs in order to be permitted to do so. These were normal people, mind you.
For the next part of the experiment, they asked doctors at some mental hospitals to detect "fake" patients. They hadn't sent any fake patients this time around, yet the doctors picked out many patients that they perceived as possibly being fake.
Back to what I said initially... this concluded that you can't tell the difference between a genuinely insane person and a normal person acting insane while you're in a psychiatric hospital. ^o^

Sorry for all the typing. I felt like sharing this; it's interesting to me, and may be interesting to at least a couple of you.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 3:55 pm

The Rosenhan experiment concluded that you cannot distinguish the sane from the insane in psychiatric hospitals. For those who aren't too familiar with the experiment, it took place in the early 1970s (1973, to be exact) and the specific psychologist was a guy by the name of David Rosenhan. Basically, for the first part of the experiment, he sent non-insane patients who briefly simulated auditory hallucinations and they were admitted to many different psychiatric hospitals in five different states (I think it was twelve hospitals.) They were diagnosed with psychiatric disorders and admitted to the hospitals. Then, once they were admitted, they acted normally and said that they felt fine. The staff at the hospitals didn't notice that, perchance, the "patients" might be normal and that they might be faking their psychiatric problems. They were all eventually released and they had to take antipsychotic drugs in order to be permitted to do so. These were normal people, mind you.
For the next part of the experiment, they asked doctors at some mental hospitals to detect "fake" patients. They hadn't sent any fake patients this time around, yet the doctors picked out many patients that they perceived as possibly being fake.
Back to what I said initially... this concluded that you can't tell the difference between a genuinely insane person and a normal person acting insane while you're in a psychiatric hospital. ^o^

Sorry for all the typing. I felt like sharing this; it's interesting to me, and may be interesting to at least a couple of you.